Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

djones

Members
  • Posts

    332
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by djones

  1. Ok, this is what I've come up with. The only bit that remains untested (as I've only just added it) is the creation of a log file during the CMW process. This is then the file that is subsequently checked for to see if running the CMW is necessary another time the script is run. This will hopefully allow me to keep the script as a semi-permanent startup script for any future changes to the Office installations. '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Set Environment Variables ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dim filesys Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") strApp = "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\MAINTWIZ.EXE" strCfgFile = "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\UpdateOutlook.CMW" strLogFile = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\CMW_Dec08.txt" strTitle = "Office 2003 Custom Maintenance Wizard" '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Check Previous Run State ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If Not filesys.FileExists("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\CMW_Dec08.txt") Then '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Run Command If Necessary ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ objShell.Run "%comspec% /c title " & strTitle & "|" & Chr(34) & strApp & Chr(34) & " /c " & Chr(34) & strCfgFile & Chr(34) & " /qb-" & " /l " & Chr(34) & strLogFile & Chr(34) ,,true End If In case anyone else on here is wondering or needs it in the future, the code for adding a file (to use as the basis for checking) is here: filesys.CreateTextFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\CMW_Dec08.txt", True This is what I had before using the log file option.
  2. Ok...that hasn't worked either. If I use a bat script to run the command it works but not as a vbs script.
  3. So... ' Set Environment Variables Dim filesys Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") 'Build & Run Command CMDLine=Chr(34) & "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\MaintWiz.exe" & Chr(34) + "/c " & Chr(34) & "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\OfficeUpdate.CMW" & Chr(34) & " /qb-" ' Check Previous Run State If Not filesys.FileExists("C:\OfficeUpdate.txt") Then objShell.Run CMDLine filesys.CreateTextFile "c:\OfficeUpdate.txt", True End If ...something like this?
  4. Cheers Steve. Can you suggest any favourite editors? I've used UltraEdit in the past.
  5. Great, thanks - and very speedy too! The second one seems to have done the trick with not generating any error messages at least. I'll have to wait until the morning to see if it really works properly though. Now, how about the checking for / creating flag files to ensure the command is only run once? Dave
  6. I am in the process of amending our M$ Office installations (specifically Outlook) with new email service settings etc. I am using the 'maintwiz.exe' and a CMW file which runs correctly when called using: "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\MaintWiz.exe" /c "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\OfficeUpdate.CMW" /qb- However, I am now at the stage where I'd like to incorporate this command into a startup script and so far have tried to run the command as part of a vbs script using: Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") objShell.Run "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\MaintWiz.exe" /c "\\server\applications$\Office 2k3\OfficeUpdate.CMW" /qb- ...but this fails, I presume because of the quotes, and more specifically, having two sets of quotes on the same line/command? Eventually, I'd like to have a flag file set on successful completion so that the script is only run once (i.e. script checks for flag file beforehand etc...) but I have no idea how to go about that bit. Cheers, Dave.
  7. midteq - Windows Deployment Services (WDS) MySysprep is a tool that can be used in place/with Sysprep to allow you to move between ACPI and non ACPI machines although this is beginning to be redundant now.
  8. Cached exchange mode? Does forcing a send and recieve on both computers help?
  9. I second that!
  10. "C:\Program Files\Classroom Monitor" is the only folder that needs read/write permissions for restricted accounts to run the software. CM is moving to a web based centrally hosted model from this September so you will not need to worry about local installations anymore. Dave.
  11. Not yet. I'm just starting to 'play' and intend setting up a Virtual DC using 2008 primarily for WDS with multicasting. I'm a little unsure what effect having a 2008 DC alongside the existing 2003 DC will have hence why I haven't got on very quickly!
  12. Many and varied! M$ provided RIS which has now been upgraded to/superceded by WDS (available as part of Server 2003 SP2) which forms the basis of several other tools such as BDD etc). Ghost etc are still valid though e.g. Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) or plain old boot discs if you have a smaller setup. Anything larger and I'd use something like WDS or GSS. Yeah, some. The thread posted above by Netman has links to a few. I compiled a series on WDS and hardware independent images pulling together the bits and bobs I found while trying to set this up 6 months or so ago. When creating the 'sysprep.inf' file, leave the 'ProductKey=' section blank and you'll be prompted for each key during mini-setup. Not sure about activation though, I've only ever used VLK versions, sorry. Only came across this one so far but not really played fully yet. Dave
  13. I'm no expert on this but AFAIK in WDS config there is a section that says something about "...if this server is a DHCP server then check these boxes..." you obviously wouldn't need this part. The DHCP scope on the curric server would need to have the pxe boot options set to the WDS server and IIRC this needs to be a valid hostname not IP address. Edit: This thread may help: WDS on separate server to DHCP - MSFN Forums This may not be a lot of help as I'm not in front of our WDS server at the moment and I sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to clarify! Dave.
  14. Server 2003 version of WDS doesn't but Server 2008 does. Dave.
  15. Could it be this: (951611) A Windows XP Service Pack 3-based computer stops responding after you use the Sysprep utility ?? Dave
  16. We have around 100 xp clients (roughly 50/50 desktop/wireless split) and a single 2003 server with AD etc, SIMS, WDS... We also have a new, spare Dell Optiplex 755 that I thought could be used to provide a bit of redundancy, server wise. I would also like to utilise the multicasting features of WDS in server 2008 therefore... I am considering using 2008 as an additional domain controller (and moving the current WDS setup to that) but am interested in setting up a virtual DC so that I'm not tied to using the Optiplex in the future. So, my real questions I suppose are: what would you use as the host operating system in this case? how have you setup virtual servers to provide the most/best redundancy? I know this thread could quite easily be split over several different forums/threads so sorry if it is a bit....well...you know! Dave
  17. I simply phoned Capita and asked for it on CD and they sent it free of charge within a day or two.
  18. And what about actually getting the image onto the hidden partition? Surely you would need to update it occasionally or am I just being thick? Then again, (starting to ramble now!) I suppose if you install all software via GPOs etc, you wouldn't need to update it.
  19. My thoughts exactly. With the help of others here and elsewhere, I managed to work through the 'fiddly' setup and have been using it to deploy a single image to multiple hardware configs for about 5 months now. It has worked out fantastically and post deployment, I have machines that are correctly joined to the domain, in the correct OU, with wireless profiles installed and ready to go. All without any human contact (besides hitting F12 at the start of course) or costing anything bar a few days to get going. Well chuffed! Have a read through the "WDS - Tips for beginners" stickied thread if you haven't done so already - loads of useful info. I've also written up a few guides detailing each step. It looks a lot but really isn't that complicated. I wish I'd done it much sooner. Windows Deployment Services - Step by step guides Dave.
  20. Ok...shortest code will do then! ;-)
  21. Sorry, should have mentioned that! VB scripts. Dave
  22. Howdee, Continuing my script learning quest... I would like to add the necessary code to force a restart when a script has completed everything (e.g. installing software etc). All the options I can find at the moment are about 400 lines of code just to do this 'simple' task - an exaggeration I know! Is there a shorter/simple/quicker way to achieve what I want? Thanks, Dave.
  23. I don't see why not - suck it and see I suppose! However, I think I would always prefer to get the latest drivers direct from the relevant manufacturer's website and extract the WinXP (or whatever folder) containing the .sys, .cat and .inf files. Just seems cleaner to me - maybe unfounded though. Dave.
  24. Thanks Steve, I'll have a play with that. Only habit I suppose. I've had better performance and fewer niggles in the past with the manufacturer's apps over WZC so for the moment I'd prefer to stick to that. The wireless is working in school with the intel and dell apps and staff are familiar with them for setting up their home wireless details so I'd rather not add that hassle to the pot! Plus, I'm (rather oddly) getting into this scripting lark! Dave.
  25. Sorry, scripting questions from me again! Is it possible to have a script that does something depending on whether a specific device is present? Basically, (still on my quest for the ultimate, hands-free, go-faster, image deployment sherbang) I have several models of laptop that have either an intel pro/set wireless jobby or the dell wireless equivalent. I currently have to install the relevant software (not drivers as they are already part of the image) post deployment depending on what hardware is present. Can I have a script do this for me and if so, as ever, can anyone point me in the right direction i.e. code? I have thought about and had a quick play with the xp zero config malarky but didn't get on very well with stablity etc. Thanks, Dave.
×
×
  • Create New...