djones
Members-
Posts
332 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by djones
-
I'm looking at using online backup for a new build primary school. I'm reluctant to buy specific hardware/software when there will only be a small amount of data initially (few staff and pupils) so thought online backup solutions might work out more cost effective. I have heard of Gigasoft and Redstor (but haven't contacted them yet) from reading other posts on here. Can anyone give recommendations from their own experiences (PM if necessary)? Cheers, Dave.
-
I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for installers of the Unifi systems. It is for a medium sized primary that has little technical expertise in the school but wanting to go the route of managed wireless in conjunction with a planned increase in laptops for class use. They would need the full sherbang including cabling, installation and setup. They are currently getting quotes for other systems and from reading a lot of the information and opinions on here, I think it would be worth looking at Unifi but they would not be able to go the DIY route that I suspect many Unifi adopters here have done.
-
Cheers and again, apologies for taking it the wrong way!
-
Is so, then my apologies. Back to topic...are there any Peterborough based (primary) people here?
-
Err, no, I don't think it is a stupid question seeing as people working at the chalk face often have a much better handle on day-to-day issues, etc. I haven't yet had the chance to investigate officially so thought I'd ask the question here in the interim. My experience of these forums, going back a few years, is that people are friendly and supportive of one another whatever their backgrounds and level of skill and experience. In future, please be more polite and if you think someone has asked a stupid question, for goodness sake keep it to yourself! Rant over.
-
Anybody use Comparex UK LTD for Microsoft Agreements
djones replied to robknowles's topic in Recommended Suppliers
We've had a quote from Comparex for renewing our EES license. It was an unsolicited quote which I was suspicious about to begin with but was also £700 cheaper than other quotes. We originally used Insight and have been told by them that an ex-employee has moved to Comparex taking a client database with them. We have also been told that the quote uses a three year pricing structure which would render the licenses void. I have no way of confirming this and Microsoft themselves have been next to useless in supplying any advice. I'd be sceptical seeing as the pricing is soooo much lower. Dave -
I'm new to Peterborough (coming from Cambs) and looking for a bit of insight into what MIS is used in the primaries. I'm also looking for general information about the state of play regarding central ICT provision/advice within the LA - although this appears non-existent at first glance and almost entirely outsourced. Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks, Dave.
-
Yes indeedy, thanks again.
-
Yes, that's fantastic. Thank you very much!
-
Sorry for my delay too! That one actually looks fine - doesn't need anything more. However, is it possible to make the text slightly larger?
-
I can see your point! Personally, I like your original one. I suppose a neater vector will just 'look' better anyway!
-
Thank you. This is similar to one of my early paper efforts which was unfortunately deemed too different from the original! That is why I was trying to add a sort of rounded (3D) effect to the petals etc as a way of modernising. What do you think? I think the text will also need to be upper and lower case too (even though I think as a logo it looks better in all upper!).
-
Pretty please? I'm struggling!
-
Please could somebody have a go at digitising this existing school logo, making it a bit prettier and more modern looking? I've had a go at making the leaves and petals (I think it is a tulip) slightly rounded or 3D like but can't seem to get it right. I will be using it on a dark blue background so the image needs a transparent background and white text and I suppose a white outline to the flower rather than black as in the attached sample. The new site will be using a mixture of 'Arial' and the Google font, 'Amaranth' if that helps! Thank you, Dave
-
Can I take a VM from a 2008R2 Hyper-V host and boot it in on a Windows XP host? I need to take down the physical DC and rather than leaving one virtual DC left on its lonesome I thought about moving a second virtual DC to a desktop machine temporarily. Unfortunately, I seem to remember something about not being able to run a 64bit guest on a 32bit host - true? If that is the case I suppose I could wipe and install hyper-v server on a desktop machine.
-
Blimey guys! Thanks alot - they're all great!
-
Can anyone work there vectorising magic on this one? This is the only image we have available and I'd like to be able to use different colours for different purposes and obviously resize it as appropriate. Thank you (hopefully)!
-
I am just in the process of setting up a new schools aggreement (EES) and wondered about adding anything else to make life easier in the future. We are running two physical servers with 4 VMs (2008 R2) in total so thought about the benefits of SCVVM (or whatever it is called). We are also planning to deploy W7 site wide so thought about the other System Center blah blah blah add-ons. Can you give me some opinions on the benefits of these addons and whether it is worth adding them now. Thanks.
-
Sorry, forget to check! Attached is a screenshot of the MSIs if that is any help. It doesn't sound like you have the same ones?!
- 6 replies
-
- mult-e-maths
- network install
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Would have been half way ok-ish about 10 years ago...maybe...
-
We have this software installed via MSI and GPO. All MSIs were on the CDs IIRC. Latest (revised framework) version.
- 6 replies
-
- mult-e-maths
- network install
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Just to update anyone who's interested... ...it was indeed the issue that AngryT pointed out above. I set up a Delete rule in GPP for the following registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\FontBmpCache This has worked without having to resort to clearing out gerzillions of profiles! However, I've a feeling there maybe more oldie type entries lurking around!
-
Office 2003 here but yes, seems the same issue. However, I don't have any font related old entries in the registry just old printer ones. I'll have a play tomorrow - I use GPP to add/amend registry entries already so that was going to be my first attempt at en mass removal.
-
Short... What would be your suggested methods for purging old server names from client's registries? Long winded... I'm trying to remove the original DC from a network and have an issue with the name still appearing in clients registries - connected with old printer settings. I've had the old (now demoted) server turned off for the past week to see if any issues are thrown up and have had reports of the font list in Word taking an age to display and Word crashing randomly at other times. This doesn't appear to be an issue with all clients although every computer is identical (from the same generic image). On restarting the old server this morning, these issues seem to have resolved themselves which led me to check the registry of one computer experiencing issues. Sure enough, there were old printer entries pointing at the old server despite these printers being long gone and removed from the client's printers list. Am I safe to simply delete these registry entries or is there a better way? And, if this works on one client, what would be the best way to go about removing these entries on all clients? Thanks, Dave.
-
Backup advice (physical and virtual)
djones replied to djones's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Anyone able to answer this: If BE was installed on the physical host, would it then backup the VMs and virtual discs in one go allowing file level recovery without the need to have each VM backed up separately from within each? If so, what version (i.e. agents) would be needed? Trying to work out costs! I know DPM is *a lot* cheaper but I'm not yet convinced it will do all I'd like although in fairness, I only have experience of BE at present.
