Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

djones

Members
  • Posts

    332
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by djones

  1. Hasn't DPM got an issue with USB HDDs? Got to check current backup size!
  2. I'm looking for some advice on backup infrastructure for the following: 1x Physical DC 1x Physical host running: 2x Hyper-V VMs (1 DC/File Server (all roles) & 1 Member Server (WSUS, WDS, AV, etc)) All servers are running 2008 R2. I'd like to backup to NAS (daily) and then weekly using portable USB HDDs for off-site storage. We have an old (v9.1 IIRC) version of BE that if used will obviously need upgrading to v2010. So, do I go for BE 2010 and take advantage of upgrade pricing? If I do, would BE be installed on the physical host and set to backup the VMs at that level? Am I correct in thinking that that would then still enable file level restore of the VMs and Virtual Discs without the need to backup each one separately from within the VMs? I'm a little confused by the licensing model and different versions of BE! Alternatively, I could try DPM... Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  3. I use a startup script to deploy the minor updates (.msp files) e.g. :excute the update if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log msiexec.exe /qn /p "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\Primary Target Tracker 11.8.1 Update.msp" :Copy a logfile to remote workstation if not exist %systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log copy "\\server\Applications$\Target Tracker\Primary Target Tracker\v11.8\TTv11_8_1.log" "%systemroot%\system32\TTv11_8_1.log" This seems to work fine but if there are better ways then I'm all ears!
  4. What trouble does it really cause? A lot of software has 'issues' in one way or another and I have pretty much got Target Tracker installing/upgrading seamlessly for users now so maybe able to help further. I also do not agree that their support is poor - every question I've had including finding the relevant files that store config info so that they can be set once and distributed has been met with instant help.
  5. Yes, I deploy it via GP and then add a few tweaks to setup everthing correctly e.g. setting up the Launcher 'buttons' and data location automatically. The install works correctly (provided that it is a complete uninstall and reinstall each time and not an upgrade) although the additional tweaks take another restart (or two) to take properly. Updates (i.e. 11.8.3) are installed via startup script as they are released as .msp files. All I do (which may or may not be the best practise way) is to copy the entire CD to a new folder in my deployment share and then add the MSI to a new GPO. It would be worth double checking the NTFS and share permissions on the folder and checking that the file path to the MSI has been specified as a UNC path that clients can resolve.
  6. Ok, this is where I'm upto... Unfortunately, connecting using PPPoE from DD-WRT (on the WRT320N) via the DG834G (in modem only mode) presented another problem. The ISP requires PPPoA and using PPPoE instead, causes the connection speed to be throttled drastically (10Mbps down to 1Mbps). Therefore, I have reverted the DG834G to normal (modem & router) mode and used this to handle the ADSL connection via PPPoA. The DG834G has an internal IP of 192.168.0.1, NAT and DHCP enabled. The WRT320N is connected to the DG834G via its WAN port and gets a WAN IP address of 192.168.0.2 via DHCP. Its internal IP address is still 192.168.1.1 as default. The WRT320N then hands out IP addresses via DHCP in the 192.168.1.0 range. There is also an additional VLAN setup with its own DHCP handing out addresses in the 192.168.3.0 range via a Wireless Access Point plugged into port 4 of the WRT320N. This all seems to work fine: no need to change default MTU values on clients; guests (clients on 192.168.3.0 subnet) cannot access PCs/resources on main 192.168.1.0 subnet; all clients (regardless of subnet) have full internet access at the correct speed; However, guests (192.168.3.0 subnet) can access both routers' webadmin GUIs and presumably (although I haven't tested it) anything plugged into the DG834G's remaining ports (192.168.0.0 subnet). Is there a way of preventing this? Something along the lines of dropping requests to 192.168.0.1 (or the entire 192.168.0.0 subnet) and 192.168.1.1 if they originate from anything on the 192.168.3.0 subnet. Is this possible? And finally, can anyone foresee any issues with this setup? Double NAT (although I confess to not really understanding if this even happens and whether it is bad if it does!)?
  7. Unfortunately, the guest WiFi needs to be provided via an additional Access Point so using the one wireless router and having multiple SSIDs is not going to work as the range just isn't enough. That's why I need to implement something that can VLAN certain ports in order to plug an AP into it.
  8. Thanks, I didn't know you could do that!
  9. I have setup DD-WRT on the WRT320N connected to the dg834g (in modem only mode). DD-WRT successfully passes on the login details and the DG834G connects. However, as PPPoE (which is what I have setup to pass login details) has a maximum MTU of 1492 and XP/7 use a default of 1500, I have run into issues whilst browsing some sites (usually larger domains or those using https). It had me stumped for ages! As soon as I changed the MTU in XP/7 everything worked smoothly. I have the guest WiFi setup correctly and clients connected to that on their own dedicated VLAN etc, etc. as intended however, they will also need to have the MTU settings changed which is not an acceptable solution in this case. Therefore, is there another way of connecting the DG834G and DD-WRT that will enable me to have the DG834G connect on its own and then route everything to DD-WRT (thus avoiding the need to alter MTU values) which will then do the necessary in terms of VLANs, DHCP, etc for the connected LAN clients?
  10. Cisco managed wireless with max. 30 laptops:1 AP (54g) at any one time plus >18 staff laptops connecting through WiFi around the school = great experience overall. Only thing that slows is trying to deploy larger software installs or bandwidth hungry stuff like video.
  11. Shutdownertron + 1. Although, any ideas as to when this may be released as I am stuck with machines not shutting down if locked or asleep (would love to be able to wake them up and then shutdown properly).
  12. This is part of a vbs login script though, so I'd like to keep it that way. IIRC the 'true' option in VB is the same as the 'persistent' option.
  13. I suppose that I could add the 'True' statement but where? Here: MapDrive "G:", "\\server\share$", True ??
  14. Client OS = XP Pro SP3 Server OS = 2008 R2 Relevant function in logon script: Function MapDrive(Byval Drive, Byval Path) If Not objFSO.DriveExists(Drive) Then WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive Drive, Path End If End Function Is there an argument that can be added to this or somewhere else?
  15. Just started looking into this again... Any ideas?
  16. Proxy settings?
  17. 110 computers of varying hardware and ages and 1 XP image. Also using MySYSPREP.
  18. FWIW, I use one GPO for each piece of software.
  19. I have also done this via GPO. I forget exactly which policy and can't check at present but basically I set iexplorer.exe to run at login and open the specified site.
  20. @pwds: Did you discover anything definitive?
  21. Thanks, that has worked. Only thing now is that I'm wondering whether it would be better to keep the History roaming with the profile? Is it possible (I haven't checked myself) to just have the History roaming and everything else like Temp Internet Files stay local? What does everyone else do in terms of this?
  22. Ok, will try that in the morning...
  23. I would have thought that even if I have History etc set not to roam (which I have a sneaky suspicion is the case), I would still be able to browse via the cached profile on the local machine - which doesn't appear to be the case. ??
  24. That's the thing. I've logged on as the user and can't see any URLs in the History section of IE8. I've also trawled through the cached profile and although I can see a hidden History folder, I can't open it - double clicking does nothing.
×
×
  • Create New...