-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
It’s Feb Half Term ....what does that mean for you?
Jamman960 replied to rad's topic in General Chat
Having a week off although I’ve just started playing with power apps and have half created an app to replace something we’ve been using padlet to do... my wife’s going to kill me if she realises I’m “working” Have left my tech to carry out the usual half term house keeping -
Hi All, Anyone Sims schools fancy voting on a change request - it affects anyone using Sims to handle report cards. We're only a mid sized(400 students) independent school but have recently lost several report comments due to the way Behavior 7 saves the data. Report card comment data loss / conflict risk 2002-3999516 James
-
I've found these to be pretty good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moobom-Junction-Connector-Waterproof-Connection/dp/B0748DXTTT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=rj45+coupler+outdoor&qid=1580727634&sr=8-3 always keep a few around in case of cable breaks... keep getting squirrels chewing through our pool phone cable
-
Just tested our system(Bromley) and we’re ok at the moment on Gamma
-
ah sorry it supports networking via the rj45 tail but only provides power via the usb.
-
Thats the one, I assume it supports networking but haven't needed to use that element - will quickly see if I have a spare one around to test Edit: they do support networking(posting via one now). They also do a version with a micro usb end which I've put a microusb to lightening end on but I've found it far better to use a lightening cable connected to the one linked above, many of the mounts are tight with the normal cable let alone anything bigger.
-
Here it is: edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073P7J1KR/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=amzn-lnkeg-21&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B073P7J1KR&linkCode=as2 These have worked very well here for the last couple of months. James
-
Ill check my amazon history, I’ve brought something recently for ~£7 to power our sign in app terminals
-
The only time I’ve needed a backup was when OneNote decided there wasn’t a default notebook so created a new one... straight over the original. OneNote files don’t have a version history within onedrive and instead allow you to use a recycle bin within the file which isn’t much help when it’s a new file. Fortunately the client keeps occasional backups so we were able to recover most of it from the local pc... was slightly worried 3 years worth of notes had vanished :/ I’ll now recommend people should avoid using the default notebook
-
Door Video Phone - Recommendations please!
Jamman960 replied to TMBS's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Yep, can release via desktop app(IP Eye), mobile app or by picking up the phone and entering the release code. Its only possible to talk via the phone though They also do keypad/rfid options on the intercom James -
Door Video Phone - Recommendations please!
Jamman960 replied to TMBS's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
We use 2N Helios IP Force units, they ring on the phones and have a desktop app for releasing the door James -
I'm not sure why they need to get involved, before micro usb every manufacturer had their own connectors, it was a nightmare Everyone adopted micro usb pretty quickly and have started migrating to usbc at a good speed, Apple introduced lightening before usbc became mainstream leaving us with 3 general connectors, one of which is dissapearing rapidly No doubt at some point a new connector will be created, I assume manufacturers would need to fight with the European Union in order to implement it and could in theory be forced to stick with USBC or go wireless
-
I’ve found Toshiba MFD’s to be very reliable, our current 5 devices have barely required any servicing, even the previous batch wasn’t too bad at 1-2 calls a month We went from having various manufacturers of copiers to just Toshiba’s, if your users are used to Konica I’d stick with that, I’m guessing they’ve improved their interface significantly since we had them I’d personally avoid Kyocera, we had nothing but trouble with the two we had although a lot of that may have been down to being supported by D*****d
-
Could it go behind the bar at the xmas party?
-
We don't tend to get a huge amount of spam but our staff like to complain about too many parent emails getting caught in the junk folder, checking the junk folder regularly is apparently beyond most people.
-
our SEN department use Lucid Rapid for Dyslexia screening on a few laptops, I've found that if the mouse is wiggled around while the questions are being asked it often freezes or crashes, is anyone else using this and finding it stable? For now I've borrowed a touch screen from elsewhere which looks like it'll do the job but I'd rather get it working with a mouse James
-
buying devices for a single app seems a little short sighted and has the potential for causing huge issues in the future... I assume this is for shared use? What devices/os's are you using elsewhere? It seems as though they have Android, iOS and web based support so you should be able to get almost any tablet
-
Paper visitor passes with photo & log
Jamman960 replied to sonofsanta's topic in How do you do....it?
I’d recommend armourdog mounts if you haven’t already chosen any, we have the desk mounted ones for main office desks and have just put in some wall mounted ones for staff sign in/ out For the wall mounted ones I’ve also been using Poe splitters to provide power where power sockets aren’t convenient - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073P7J1KR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title -
Paper visitor passes with photo & log
Jamman960 replied to sonofsanta's topic in How do you do....it?
We use Signinapp via a few iPads at main entrances, it still does many of the extra bits but you can choose how much of that you enable anyway. Its £295/site (ex vat) per year Its worked well as we have a few old ipads knocking around anyway, it can link in to the MIS for a little extra to handle late pupils etc although we're not doing that as yet. James -
School Promo Video Companies?
Jamman960 replied to SpaceInvader83's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Dream shock - https://www.dreamshock.com/ have done some fantastic promo vids for us recently James -
I tried to use a Ring doorbell here for something ages ago, it'd connect to a single access point with great signal but anything less and it'd fall over. I ditched it quickly as it wasn't reliable enough and the area it was going into didn't have a great signal, especially once on the other side of the door. I'd hoped it'd work within the lan but all video and app signals go straight to the cloud James
-
Our new IT suite is finally finished, had a few issues getting the final bits of worktop delivered and getting carpet fitted.. managed to get the pcs on the desks this afternoon ready for the kids to return on Wednesday having spent the summer waiting for it to be prepared. More or less ready other than sorting out a couple of other rooms that have just become ready Glad we’re not the science dept... the new building got handed over today and they’ve got about 60 large boxes of equipment to move in.
-
If you could setup a single uplink to the landlords network you should be able to limit traffic to a certain vlan and use 802.1x security to ensure no rouge devices get on. Then you’d just need the landlords tech to put the ports into the correct vlan, it’d scale well if you were to take on more offices in future.
-
Hi, unfortunately Solus 3 is the only supported method for installing Sims.net, there are other Exe's to run such as SimsAmpark on each workstation. Solus handles this fairly well(these days) although it may miss a computer here and there. Solus 3 does the server & workstation updates The files on whats often mapped as the S: drive tend to relate to Solus(setup files), NovaT6 I would take a look at the Solus handbook here - https://myaccount.capita-cs.co.uk/search/RequestSharePointFile?i=KKKL5QU54zI%2Bkm8KoezlDyly2TbML08kiO8TaXohkT3v9xqaMMbk%2BJRcXlW%2F2O1e1PmtcYVcMzrbKkC5YnVUniS3uERR%2B5fUqSrbrUD8haFQsGpe03vEDc1uH8pPzMC6 If you haven't already got a supportnet account I'd get on to it asap, that'll give you access to their knowledgebase, customer support etc Regards James
-
Nominet not allowing overlap
Jamman960 replied to Arcath's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We're currently using fullschoolname.co.uk and initials.school as the full one is a bit of a mouth full(we're independent and have never claimed the .sch address) I find that .school works for most things but I've come across a few forms just won't accept it and most of the people I talk to on the phone seem to expect more when I use .school, I've had many add .co.uk onto the end because they think its incorrect(not good with invoices!) James
