dan400007
Members-
Posts
217 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dan400007
-
Sophos EC isn't very good any more. V3 is great improvement but still seems very hit and miss as to what machines it picks up. The old managment console for Sophos V3.xx was miles better, it worked.
-
Definately need a broad range of knowledge in order to make the right decisions. When I first started I didn't know what the difference was between a Hub and Switch was let alone the different Layers. Understanding the Client/Server network along with the physical networkings (I rekon) is the best place to start. Keep looking at these forums as someone will have the answers that you need. Also as soon as you can get a couple of old computers or one fast system (using VMWare) and then build a mini network. Break it, Fix it, Break it again and fix it again. Hands on experience is the greatest teacher.
-
Use RRAS. Its easy to setup and I seem to remember that MS provide a step by step guide for the setup too. You'll need to email EMBC to get an external IP. You'll also need to tell them what type of VPN you're using so they can add your server to the appropriate firewall rule(s).
-
I presume this to be possible but don't know how: I'm wanting to be able to upload files to the webserver using a form that doesn't involve refreshing the page. I'm guessing that I'd need to grab the file location using javascript and then send it to PHP to do the processing? Any tips or code would be great and links to a tutorial (I want to know how to do it not how to copy some elses code) Thanks
-
True. We have 'right-click' and the command prompt disabled for all students. This gets around the problem for all but the smarter students and at that point they're smart enough to realise that they can and will be caught in the end. As another thread says, how far do you take security. No something to start in this thread. We're not currently using the file screening in R2 as we've just moved our user areas over to an R2 server. But does R2 screening look within compressed files? For example if a student has an exe in a zipped file would they be able to run that file or would R2 pick it up?
-
We have all our staff connect to a Terminal Server for access to sims, gets around problems of sims trying to update over a wireless connection and then failing. Then we setup RRAS for VPN and restricted their access to the terminal server and intranet server. Don't forget to get a Remote Access policy to cover your back and the school's. Will need to approved by the head and the governers.
-
All laptops at our school are purchased through the main ICT budget and every Teacher, TA and CLA has a laptop. This is mainly due to us having electronic registration and an IWB in every classroom. We've written it into the staff ICT policy that any damage to the laptop could be charged to the member of staff. Whilst we've had several dropped laptops the head has yet to have the guts to make a teacher pay. As a result this year we brought some HPs with a 3Yr accidental warrenty. We are trying to run on a 4 year life cycle for staff laptops but are looking for alternatives if they exist as we just can't afford to keep buying them each year. We always make the decisions as to who has the newest laptops so that the staff that would benefit the most get the laptops.
-
@laserblazer Is their no option in your BIOS to disable the other boot devices?
-
If its JUST the home folder you want to stop it happening in then you can also set special permissions on their folders to stop them running programs.
-
I'm in the same situation at the moment. Staff are generally entering their session marks ok but the lesson marks are just absolute cr*p. In general about 25% of lesson marks each week are missing, for our school that means about 110,000 marks since the start of this academic year!! (I'm not including N's in that total) For our fire drills we use a sweep system instead of registers so thats ok the window when trying to get the teachers to complete the registers. I recently meet with one of SMT to tell him that this situation was meaning that we had all this lesson registration information that was in effect useless since it was incomplete. When I asked who was responsible for line managing the registration process he said no-one and that he'd raise it at their SMT meeting. That was 2 weeks ago and they still don't know. It just yet another system that was dreamt up with out any consultation with the ICT department and its become a big waste of money. We wireless'd up the entire site, brought an extra server, paid through the nose for LM7, total bill was about £10k. Now its in all those who were involved in the dream have washed their hands of it. Sorry rant over, bit of a sore point.
-
I maybe (well probably am) wrong but I thought the all RBC were went to provide web hosting facilities to and domain name to their schools.
-
We block the majority of outside email systems such as Hotmail and Yahoo. If its not in the ICT policy could probably be added quite easily. What with the drive to counter cyber bullying etc. May even earn some brownie point with SMT/SLT by doing so when put in those kinda words. What ever you do just don't block the staff access to the web email, it causes nothing but grief.
-
We use PCounter from Altman. Generally works well. Need to be abit picky on what print servers you use but the tech support is first rate.
-
I'm sure that I someone will have gone through this before: A teacher has come to us having dropped his laptop and now the HDD isn't seen by the BIOS and isn't seen by the XP installation CD. The head has agreed that it will be worth the money to get the data of the HDD. What I'm looking for now is a data recovery company. I've got a quote from Kroll Ontrack costing £500-1000 but would like to try and get it a bit cheaper (without having the drive wrecked by some dodgy geezer on a market). Any Suggestions from previous experiences? Thanks in advance...
-
Has anyone used the National IT Learning Centre before? If so, how do/did you rate them?
-
For Nova-T the user will also need modify rights to the Nova folder in the SIMS application share. FMS users need modify rights to the C drive. Modify rights for staff on the SIMS folder in program files to allow the auto updates. Those who need to use Exams Organiser need modify rights to Exams In and Exams Out folder, again in the SIMS apps share. They're all the permissions that I've come across needing to set.
-
Hi, A department has asked me if its possible to create a timed slide in smart notebook. Just like changing slides in Powerpoint, just in smart notebook instead. I've had a look through and can't see anything, just wondered if anyone has a way of doing so. Thanks.
-
mmmm, its died more than mine ever has I'm afraid. :x Load the service manager for SQL Anywhere again and you should be able to edit the service configuration by clicking edit. Check that the path to the exe is correct (C:\SQLANY50\WIN32\DBSRV50.EXE). I have no idea what all the parameters are for but for my server they are as follows: -n SIMS_Server -c 8192 -tl 1500 -x NamedPipes,TCPIP Hope this helps.
-
Is there any indication in the system event log to indicate why the service has failed to start? If not then maybe rename the folder and try a reinstall but I've never done that either. If you don't want to reinstall FMS then you could try renaming the FMS folders and restoring them from last nights backup.
-
Make sure that no-one in the school currently has FMS open the: On your FMS server run, C:\SQLANY50\WIN32\DBSVMN50.EXE Stop the service and then start it. Usually works, if not will FMS run ok on the actual FMS server?
-
Never asked how much the order needed to be before getting in 3 quotes as I've always ended up using a Cataylst supplier (Insight or ProBrand).
-
Never really read much about it. All I know is that its some government logo to say that the company will give best pricing to the public sector. Also means that you don't have to bother getting 3 quotes.
-
Its does have the potential to grow to that size or bigger. It all depends on your individual configuration, such as where the SQL backups are stored. Have a check in the system manager and look at where the SQL backup folder is. I've just checked my SIMS application share and its running at 3Gb, my SQL backup folder is running at 23Gb 8O
-
Hi, After seeing the Sun Ray system at the edugeek conf last week we're interested in buying into the system. Initially it would be just for the admin systems (so around 30) but then possibly extending further. I've got a rep from Sun calling me tomorrow but would like to know what other people experiences of the Sun Ray are. Also how people found the costs involved as we'd be wanting to make use of the smart card facility on the Sun Ray clients. Any recommended resellers would be good and if anyone has the contact details for the guy from Cutters would be great. Thanks, Dan.
-
What server OS are you using? If your running 2003R2 then you could set a filter on all the home folder to prevent them from putting .COM .EXE etc into their home folders. Or. Set the special permission on the users home folder and deny them Execute permissions.
