dan400007
Members-
Posts
217 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dan400007
-
Help! We had to shutdown all our systems due to a power cut and A/C failure, now we're bringing everything back up and our XEN Servers won't connect to our Sun 7110 over NFS. The XEN Servers can ping the 7110, I can run "showmount -e 10.0.0.10" on the XEN Server and it can see the NFS share but I can't get it to connect. Please any help!!!!
-
Thought I'd share this news with everyone who isn't already aware....The 3Com WX series of wireless controllers and there DMAPs for use with them have been discontinued by HP with immediate effect. So if, like me, you have a site wide WLAN with 40 odd access points running on a 3Com WX I'd suggest you buy up any access points you may need (if you can find any). Either that or start planning to replace your existing system. I got this news direct from 3Com (well HP).
-
Terminal Servers Crashing BIG PROBLEM
dan400007 replied to dan400007's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Just a quick update. With the services disabled the servers haven't failed once. When I get some more time I'll revisit this and find a more suitable and permanent solution which I'll post here. -
Terminal Servers Crashing BIG PROBLEM
dan400007 replied to dan400007's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Well, it may be fixed. I've disabled the following services that interact with the svchost.exe instance that runs Terminal Serivces: BITs Windows Update Windows Driver Foundation Network List Service Network Location Awareness The server has since survived over 4000 connections from a couple of testing clients, so its looking good at the moment. Something of a 'dirty' fix but it at least gives an interim solution (if it works of course!!) -
Terminal Servers Crashing BIG PROBLEM
dan400007 replied to dan400007's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
@3s-gtech: Problem is with several servers and on different hardware @joe90bass: The servers don't blue screen, simply the svchost.exe crashes taking the rest of the services with it. I've never used MS Support before, how many support calls do you get with a schools agreement? @darrenmcginnis: Running without Sophos was my last hope today but the servers still have the same problem -
Terminal Servers Crashing BIG PROBLEM
dan400007 replied to dan400007's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Sorry no dumps -
HELP!!! We've just installed a set of Terminal Servers running Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 and I've got a huge problem. At random intervals we get the following error in the Application Log: Faulting application svchost.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47918b89, faulting module WINSTA.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4791a7c8, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x7580681e, process id 0x58c, application start time 0x01cb53d111fab6c2. Problem is that this then takes out several essential services: Windows Remote Management Terminal Services Network Location Awareness Distributed Transaction Coordinator DNS Client Cryptographic Services I've tried removing the RAID, reinstalling, installing only MS Office 2010, etc but this the problem occurs between 30minutes and 5 hours of booting. The amount of sessions makes no difference. I thought that it was maybe a problem with roaming problems or the Aero interface etc, so I switched to mandatory profiles and classic windows but still the same. I've search the internet and haven't managed to find a solution. I'm really after anything now.
-
For anyone else wanting to create their Central Store for ADMX files, the easiest way is to simple copy the PolicyDefinitions folder from the windows folder on the DC to SYSVOL\FQDN\Policies
-
Hi, We're getting ready for SLG and have deleted our unlinked contacts and run the Duplicate Contacts Check report.... After a little while the report finished, all 672 pages and 8300 records (we have 1500 students on roll) Please, has anyone got any suggestions on reducing this down???
-
Hi, anyone using Solarwinds IPMonitor? Have installed the trial and it seems to do exactly as required but would like to check if anyone found the product unreliable over an extended period, or would recommend another product instead. Basically we after a product that will monitor the bandwidth usage on our network links (all 3Com), monitor services on servers and CPU/RAM usage on things like our terminal servers. And keep a historical db of the results. Thanks.
-
Another vote for Yosemite, cheap and effective. A single license costing about £1000 can provide backup for Unlimited Windows Servers, SQL and Exchange
-
Strange, I've been testing my migration to R2 over the last couple of days and our Volume License ISO has ADPrep32.
-
On the Windows Server 2008 R2 CD there is ADPREP32.exe [DVDDrive]:\Support\ADPrep\ADPrep32.exe
-
Thanks to all, the NAS box is for a non tech so it looks like the ReadyNAS is the best option after looking at this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEBqP-m2404]YouTube- ReadyNAS Remote[/ame].
-
HI, I'm looking for a home NAS box. The main thing is the Remote Access features of the unit, most, if not all seem to have remote access but I'm after a NAS with drag'n'drop file access over the internet. I believe that the Netgear ReadyNAS DUO range provides software for this functionality, could anyone confirm this and how well it works? Any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers, Dan.
-
Ok, firstly, as you say AD CS isn't something to be taken lightly and needs a good amount of planning to ensure that everything works as it should. In you case I'm going to guess that your CA doesn't currently have the certificates configured for use with 2003. This is because Windows Vista/2008 and later use a newer version of the certificate templates. You will need to go into your CA and either enable or configure a certificate template based on Version 2 for use with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. I've not got a CA I can connect to at the moment to give exact details on how to accomplish this but if you don't find it let me know and I'll dig out a guide for you.
-
RAID 5 rebuild time (and if the rebuild can be automatically or from Windows) will depend on the the RAID controller in the server. As for using local drives I would highly recommend using IOMeter (or something similar) to test the performance of the drives in the different RAID setups. I say this because if its a cheap RAID controller in the server then RAID 5 will kill the performance of the setup when you start adding more Virtual Machines. In general HyperV is a fairly simple product to get to grips with, the main thing to think about is weather your going to run Windows Server Core or Full. If you're not used to managing a server from the command line / powershell the I would suggest sticking with the Full server install.
-
Could be wrong here but I seem to remember that Network Discovery on Windows uses broadcasts to discover computers and populate the networks folder, as such I doubt you would be able to configure it to see across other subnets.
-
A quick way around this is to create a new GPO with the Logon as Batch Job settings, link the GPO to the appropriate OU in your domain and then edit the security permissions on the GPO and remove the "Apply Group Policy" permission for "Authenticated Users", this can be done in the Group Policy Management Console, select the GPO, click the Delegation tab and click advanced. Then add the computer account to the GPO Security settings and give it Read and Apply Group Policy permissions. The GPO will then be within the scope of the computers in the OU, but only the computer(s) you specify in the permissions will apply the GPO.
-
Hi, whilst I've not got any 1022N I did have problems a year or 2 ago with the HP 2420 failing to count pages correctly. All that I needed to do in the end was to use the PS drivers from HP instead of PCL5/6. Once the printer has these drivers installed and the PCounter port has been created and your accounting is correctly set on the printer, in PControl stop the PCounter Services, update the services and then start the services. After that the jobs counted correctly and have done so ever since.
-
Depends on what its needed for. I've got a Thecus N8800 12tb performing our backups and does the job very nicely over iSCSI.
-
IIS restriction on uploads, edit your web.config file to include the following: httpRuntime value is in KB maxAllowedContentLength value is in Bytes
-
Hi, We've just gone to foundation school status and within in the next month we are going to go through a Job Evaluation. As a result I'd like to know if anyone has been through the Greater London Job Evaluation and how well or badly they came out of it. Thanks, Dan.
-
Hi, we've setup a testing domain on Live@Edu to see how well it performs for our needs and so far so good. The only question we have at the moment is the ability to 'force' all users of the domain to show a shared 'School Calendar'. Is it possible? If so how? If you've any other comments good or bad about Live@Edu then I'd like to hear them. Thanks, Dan.
-
thanks, knew it was somewhere.
