Lorfarius
Members-
Posts
111 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Lorfarius
-
It was tucked away on the Staff group!
-
There used to be an active shutdown policy that would turn everything off at 6pm each night, logging off any members of staff with a 1 minute countdown warning. We only have 2 groups that cover the entire network (Shutdown Group and Entire Network) but I completely disabled the shutdown settings on both groups yet at 6pm every night the PCs still turn off. I have enabled a power on setting for 6pm which turns them back on but for staff who are staying late it is causing all sorts of issues. I’ve been through every option on the Impero Server console and all of the groups listed for every account but I can’t see what is causing this. Any ideas?
-
RM vs Impero or any other Alternative
Lorfarius replied to sahilkhan's topic in Educational Software
We were on CC3 until 2013 and went for Impero as a good alternative. It's been great these past 2 years, only problem of note was an issue with older PCs not having decent Wake on LAN (these were from 2005 so no surprise) but once those were phased out its been pretty good. -
Brilliant! Thanks
-
There's just a standard GPO with them added. Weirdly after a bit of reading I discovered that I needed updated Admin templates installed for IE10/11 settings to appear in GPO. Here But I installed these in Policy Definitions via SYSVOL but nothing seems to happen. The GPO settings only show IE 5,6, 7 and 8.
-
We are running Server 2008 with Win 7 Enterprise PCs and IE11. Whenever I create a new user account and log on to an Enterprise PC it doesn't seem to apply the school proxy so IE can't get online. However if I log onto one the few Win 7 Professional PCs we have dotted around the site, IE works perfectly. If I then log in to the Enterprise PCs it works! Any ideas what to do? This only effects new users, the old ones seem to work just fine.
-
Thanks OxfordBlue, it's bizarre for sure. It only happens when the Freeze option is used as I tried leaving it on for 9 hours normally just to see what would happen and it was fine. Soon as I press Freeze it starts.
-
Been a few days but still having problems. I tried creating a GPO which disabled the power settings settings completely, I've also been through every option on the projector menu and either disabled or set it to the longest possible timer but without fail everytime the freeze feature is used the laptop goes to sleep.
-
The laptop goes to sleep but only when Freeze is used. Have turned off all power settings.
-
Just had a look at that setting, there's an option of 3 Economy, Normal and Smart Eco. Seems to have been set to Normal but I'll try the others!
-
Bit of a strange one but we have a new BenQ DLP Projector on site and if a teacher freezes the image on screen after 10 minutes the projector goes into Eco mode. I've been through every single menu item and can't seem to see what's causing it. Any ideas?
-
Ran an IE11 update over sumer and its left a file behind in Temporary Internet folders called iesqmdata_setup0.sqm discovered that this is preventing new users from logging in. It's on every PC across the Domain so deleting it fixes the issue. I typed the following as a .vbs script and pushed it out as a Startup script: RD "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\SQM" /S /Q It works just fine from Command Prompt deleting the folder and its contents but as a GPO Startup script... nothing happens. I've set it to enforced and a GPResult shows it as being applied. Any ideas?
-
Need to install the drivers for this on a 64Bit Win7 PC. None of the drivers I've been able to find will work, has anyone had luck with it?
-
I'm having a bit of a problem with Windows Updates and scheduling. Every month after update Tuesday I wanted the updates to happen at 6pm on the following Friday, basically when everybody is offsite but what seems to be happening is every Wednesday morning around 10am each month the updates are being installed and the workstations restart. Always seems to happen during busy classes and I have very angry teachers coming up to complain! I've been through all of the GPO's on the DC but this is the only thing related to updates that's running: Over on the SCCM server I've created a fresh deployment rule and disabled the others (except for Endpoint but that doesn't touch WU in any shape or form). Looking at this I'm starting to think the first option (as soon as possible) might be causing it: To try and get round this last month I surpressed the restarts but on the Wednesday after Update Tuesday the updates were installed: I'm probably missing something obvious I'm sure but can anyone help? The PC's are all running Win 7.
-
I did it on the server end. Just renamed the profile so it would force it to create a new one on log in.
-
Just tried renaming the profile folder and logging in but still looks the same even after a fresh log in
-
Bit of a weird one but had a couple of students call round to say their Start bar now looks like this: Somehow they've managed to enable the Classic theme but Control Panel/Personalise is completely locked down. Not sure how to turn it back, any ideas?
-
At the moment there's only 2 people in the whole school on 52 weeks a year and I'm one of them. Thanks for all the responses good to actually hear from people who have been through it all.
-
Thanks. How did the change over go? I've heard talk of being made to re-interview/apply for the same job, being made redundant then given a new contract. No one seems to know for sure what actually happens.
-
In the last few months the Secondary school where I work has been through an OFSTED inspection and been rated as Special Measures. The general talk with the council seems to point towards the school becoming an academy which is terrifying the teachers. But no one really knows what will happen for support staff, I'm the Network Manager with a team of 2 and have been asked but no real idea! Has anyone lived through the switchover and knows what actually happens to us?
-
I've phoned a few of the suggested ones but they all seem to be about £5/6k a time. Not really useful when you are a small school with a typical small budget! Can anyone recommend anyone else?
-
General question but just interested to see what people are generally using for their schools VLE's and how you incorporate internet usage into it. The secondary school I work for doesn't have one in place and the overall web filter is provided by the council, OpenHive. Since I started there hasn't really been a push to control internet access with students/teachers having pretty free access to the likes of Youtube (had to actually argue with the Headteacher to get Facebook blocked!) and even gaming sites. Youtube can't be all that common across schools for students to use can it? I've heard some talk about VLE's where teachers are made to be more involved researching what sites they actually need the kids to use for lessons but not sure where to start. We do actually have Impero installed which allows classroom control with a much more active website filter. But I'm sure there's much better out there and looking for some ideas. What do you guys have in place and what sort of access to staff and students have to the internet?
-
Sounds crazy but plugging in a set of headphones worked! I'll add the listed sites so thanks guys but it seems crazy that the video stops playing if I remove the headphones then works perfectly if they are in.
-
Been having a few issues with Youtube over the past month on a large number of PC's. Started around mid December where basically the video loads and you can see 2/3 seconds of playtime then it loops back to the start eventually showing An error has occurred, please try again later. We have Win 7 SP1 running IE9 and the latest Flash Player. Tried the Adobe uninstall of Flash and reinstalled but no joy, also cleared the cache to no avail. I then tried installing IE10 and Youtube would play with the HTML 5 player, at this point I installed Flash Player again but the problem returned! Not really sure what else to do beyond sticking another browser on, any suggestions?
