IT_Man_Dan
Members-
Posts
448 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by IT_Man_Dan
-
Hi, I need to move a load of archive data to a different location. I am using robocopy but when I run the process it misses a load of files out that it says 'access denied'. I want to know how to make it copy but ignore existing permissions. Here is my command: robocopy \\server2\d$\oldarchiveddata i:\archived /MIR /W:2 /R:3 What do I need to add please? Or do I need to give certain access rights to the folder before copying it? Administrator has full control. Many thanks
-
I agree BE is expensive with the agents but our backup and recovery policy has been bodged for too long so I'm prepared to spend the necessary readies to sort it out. Below is what I want to achieve. Currently all my servers are physical (Virtual is a project for later in the academic year). I have 2 2008R2 DC's and 1 2008R2 SIMS server that I'd like to be able to take an image and store on NAS (scheduled) and then restore it to either dissimilar hardware or a VM should there be a failure. I also have 3 other non essential servers that I wouldn't mind imaging for the hell of it just to be ultra cautious (1 is Windows Server 2012). I also need to schedule daily standard file backups of the data to the NAS should the little darlings (and students) misplace something. I want a backup solution that is capable of the above, easy to setup and which runs itself (low maintenance). So far it appears that Backup Exec 2012 and Acronis will both meet my needs. Veeam is just for vitual isn't it? I don't know anything about macrium reflect, does it have the ability to do what I need? Thanks for advice.
-
What backup software are people using on Server 2012?
IT_Man_Dan replied to ronnoco's topic in Windows Server 2012
Does Macrium Reflect have the ability to restore to virtual machine rather than hardware? I'm currently looking at upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 for this feature (in other thread) but am now wondering about this option. Thanks -
@timbo343 That's interesting that you use Backup exec 2010. Do you backup any Windows 2012 servers using it as I heard it didn't support it (when I last checked?). How many servers to you backup with it? Another option I'm considering is whether to think about upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 as I like the complete system recovery options. Thanks
-
Morning all, I'm after some advice please. I've just purchased a 16TB Synology NAS device that I want to backup my servers & data to. I was wondering what software you would recommend for scheduled 'set and forget' backups of my servers to this NAS? Currently we backup to tape (old Skool, I know) and use Veritas Backup Exec 10. Would you buy Backup Exec 2012 to do the job or consider other solutions such as Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Server for Windows? Or would you just use the built in Windows backup? I know the NAS has software with it 'Data Replicator 3' but I feel that after a quick glance at the details it not meet our needs. Many thanks for advice.
-
We are thinking about changing our digital signage software to Xibo for increased functionality. My question is: If you were installing Xibo would you go for Windows or Linux and why? I notice the Linux client is a fairly new addition to Xibo so am wondering whether to go with windows? Thanks in advance for advice.
-
Running Ubiquiti Unifi as a service on Windows Server 2012
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Wireless Networks
Solved and got it running back on the 2012 box.. It doesn't like 64bit Java because when I installed 32bit Java and changed the path to that it works like a dream. Thanks all! -
Running Ubiquiti Unifi as a service on Windows Server 2012
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Wireless Networks
Argghhh! Ok I've now moved it to a 2008R2 server and have had exactly the same error trying to start the service! What the heck am I doing wrong. These are the steps I followed: 1. Make sure UniFi is not running 2. Locate your java installation directory. "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin" 3. Add the dir above to the PATH (from Computer->Properties->Advanced system settings) 4. run a command prompt (as an Administrator, right click on 'Command Prompt' and choose 'Run as administrator'. THIS IS IMPORTANT ON WIN2008/7+, otherwise the service may not get created) 5. type cd "%userprofile%/Ubiquiti Unifi" 6. type java -jar lib\ace.jar installsvc 7. Start the service: net start "Unifi Controller" Do I need to change any other settings? -
Pearson onscreen platform installation woes
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Educational Software
I know, I've just received that email about the updated version. Why didn't they just tell us to wait and install the updated version?!? I love how they set a deadline to install as well. As if I've got nothing better to do than install badly programmed software... Oh well I'll play around with it tomorrow... I'll keep you posted. -
At the moment we are only really utilising mail from Apps so therefore vault it is for us. At a later date I will reconsider options and who knows, vault might do it all by then. Regards
-
Robocopy - How to copy to password protected location
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Coding
Thanks have sorted it now, typo. -
Robocopy - How to copy to password protected location
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Coding
Thanks. I've just mapped a drive on my local machine to the share on the WD. The sharename is test and is using I drive The data I want to copy is in a folder on the d drive of a server in a folder called 'archived data' . Please can you tell me what I'd need to type in to copy all contents to the test folder on the WD as it's not working for me. Thanks -
Morning all, I've got some data (650GB) that I need to copy from a server to a shared folder on a networked WD My book. I've created a shared folder on the WD My book as the destination which is password protected. Is there a way to run robocopy including the user credentials for the shared folder so that it can access it? If so what command do I use please? Thanks Dan
-
Thanks, I've decided just to run it from a network share instead with the modified ini file. Thanks for your help.
-
Morning all, Quick question. What would stop the ini file being copied to the workstation on install? I've edited the config file, tested it, and placed it in same folder within msi deployment folder and set it to install via gpo. It installs scratch no problem but when I look in program Files\scratch on local machine it hasn't copied the config file across. If I log on to a client without Scratch, navigate to the msi folder with installer and config file and run the installer it installs correctly and copies the config file across with no issues?! Any thoughts? Thanks
-
Morning all, Has anyone had any issues with 'POP' exams software? I'm having to set it up for BTEC exams that will take place and it is proving to be a faff! I've followed the manual and installed the exams centre service onto a server but when I run the diagnostic tool on other pc's none can see or connect to the exams service centre. I've tried turning the firewall off both domain and server side and it still doesn't work so it's not firewall related. I've also tried manually adding the server by both name and IP address with no luck. Please help. Thanks
-
Good afternoon all, I haven't dealt with KMS before so please bear with me for my ignorance. Long story short. I have Win Server 2008R2 DC's, and Win 7 Clients. A previous colleague of mine setup the main DC as a KMS Host for Windows and Office but we kept having issues with some clients not activating correctly so we reverted to MAK activation when re imaging. The KMS host is still running on the primary DC and I believe there is still machines out there activating from it. I now want to change back to KMS and set it all up myself on the secondary DC instead. I have the following questions. 1. Can I just set it up from scratch on the secondary DC and run it alongside the first to avoid any disruption and then uninstall the KMS host on the first? 2. How do you uninstall a KMS Host from a Win 2008R2 Server? 3. Do I simply set the new Windows KMS keys on the existing MAK activated clients to convert to KMS? slmgr.vbs /ipk *KmsKey* ? Thanks for your advice.
-
Running Ubiquiti Unifi as a service on Windows Server 2012
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Wireless Networks
Yep have done a server reboot and double checked the java install location. Weird. -
Running Ubiquiti Unifi as a service on Windows Server 2012
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Wireless Networks
Yep, followed the instructions on the wiki. Seems to install correctly but then doesn't want to start -
Hi, I'm just in the process of setting up guest wifi access through our unifi ap's. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that I can specify a certain http proxy to use? Thanks
-
Proxy settings in GPO (settings moved?)
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
@speckytecky pm sent. @Oaktech it was a bit of a shock to see it missing at first, thought I was going mad :-) -
Proxy settings in GPO (settings moved?)
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Thank you I've now managed to edit the policies from a client pc that hasn't had 1e10 installed. I will still set all the settings correctly when I get chance but now it's not as urgent. Thanks again -
Proxy settings in GPO (settings moved?)
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Ok, After speaking to another techy I've found out that Microsoft have changed things around and I've got a bit of work ahead of me to configure the new way. Basically the 'internet explorer maintenance' policy is no longer used as Microsoft has decided to change things :-( Any settings you set there will stay but to amend or use IE10 you have to goto user config/preferences/control panel/internet settings and then create a new policy for each browser (ie9, Ie10, etc). you then need to go through setting all the internet settings for each browser. I wish I'd found this out earlier... Thanks for help.
