Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

IT_Man_Dan

Members
  • Posts

    448
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by IT_Man_Dan

  1. Afternoon all, I'm just trying to setup YouTube for schools so that when students go to youtube they can only access educational content and that which we approve. I use GoogleApps here at the school and all the students have school Gmail accounts. For internet we have a connection provided by SchoolsBroadband with hosted Lightspeed filtering. So far this is what I have done to set it up. 1. Signed up for Youtube for Schools using my school email address and obtained the 22 character youtube for schools code. 2. Put the code into the relevant section of the lightspeed filter and then tick 'Allow Youtube for Schools' for students. That seems to work well and now whenever a student tries to access Youtube they get redirected to YouTube for Education. The problem is that if they then sign in with a personal youtube account they get full YouTube access?!! What am I doing wrong? Thanks
  2. Ignore my last post, when checking I noticed that although it said successful it had no deployment targets. Ran it again and it's now deploying to everything. Cheers
  3. Morning, I ran the updates last night through Solus 3 and this morning they all say successful, however, looking through the deployment history there was no workstation deployments and all our workstations are still running 7.156 not 7.159? Am I right in thinking they should be running 7.159??? Thanks
  4. If you want the HD version you pay more but here you are: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubsan-H107C-Camera-2-4G-Quadcopter/dp/B00HM1XNNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1401879472&sr=1-1&keywords=h107c+HD If you are happy to wait for it to arrive at end of month from hong kong you can get it cheaper here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hubsan-X4-H107C-Quadcopter-with-2M-HD-camera-Mode2-RC-Quadcopter-UFO-/121350230295?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c41099117
  5. Just had to drop in on this thread. Me and my techy have recently developed an interest for the Quadcopters. My Techy started with the Hubsan H107L, I was so impressed with it I ordered the non HD H107C version, which is good for a bit of fun but only has a 0.3 megapix camera. My techy then decided to buy the H107D to get FPV which is quite fun although again it only has the 0.3 megapix camera. My caretaker has now also got the H107L and plans to jump straight to the DJI Phantom 2 Vision next which looks awesome but pricey! I have to admit I'm also tempted with the phantom next once I've saved the pennies. I Can't fault the Hubsan quads at all, great fun and easy to fly and they take quite a beating (fallen onto concrete and through trees etc and still going), word of advice is if you go for just the H107L buy the protection ring for the blades - you'll need it! the others all come with one. We have also bought 5x 500mah batteries each and a 5 way charge lead to give us longer flying time as the battery that comes with it takes about 40 mins to charge for a 10 minute flight time! - Not bad but it goes flat just as you get into it! Happy flying
  6. Thanks, Firstly no, filtering will be through Lightspeed ;-) Is Home Access Plus aqnd RemoteApp quick and easy to setup. I've got to implement this over summer around an already rammed full job list! Thanks
  7. Good Morning, Over summer I'm planning to introduce offsite access to our network for staff and students. I need them to be able to access their home areas, shared areas, and to use Sims.net (staff only). We are in the process of changing internet provider (just choosing supplier) and it looks like my preferred supplier will use a fortinet UTM with VPN facility. That gives me the ability to easily implement the access but I think it leaves me with a problem. Obviously I don't want to have the need for staff or students to map drives or creating shortcuts etc. I was wondering if you could let me know your thoughts on what is the quickest and easiest way to setup a facility where users can just open an app or something which will automatically have shortcuts to the various drives/resources and also which would allow users to run sims without installing it locally. I've only just started looking into this but I was wondering RemoteApp would do what I need? Thanks
  8. Thanks very much, That's just what I wanted to hear. I've now setup the account manually.
  9. Thanks for reply. the unique identifier attribute is set as objectGUID Regards
  10. Afternoon all, I use Google apps and usually use GADS to sync My AD with Google and create new users etc. Due to county changing internet provision from Atomwide to Capita I am currently unable to use GADS due to a proxy issue. I have got tickets open with Capita and county to get the issue resolved but in the meantime need to provision new staff members. My question is: If I manually create the new users in Google Apps what will happen when I get GADS functioning again?? will it a, match my manually created user to the user it finds in AD with the same email attributes and link them. b, not create or link the user from AD because the user already exists in Google Apps c, Suspend/Delete manually created user and then recreate user (loosing historic email and docs) d, something else Any thoughts appreciated. Many thanks Dan
  11. Morning all, Hopefully there's a quick solution to this but I'm short on time so am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction. Is there a GPO setting I can set so that users can't see drive info (eg free space) of any drives they have mapped? Thanks
  12. Thanks, Just set it up to run via GPO :-) I'll set it to run on all domain clients.
  13. Thanks guys, Did you run it on all workstations or just a selection? I'm trying to think of occasions that I might actually need to access safe mode on a client but I can't see any obvious ones. I can just reimage clients that have an issue and no data is stored locally. Regards
  14. Morning all, Recently some of our darling users have been trying to bypass various security measures (including impero) by booting the PC in safe mode with networking. We have done some research and found that running a script on the machine to prevent access to safe mode or the boot menu works like a charm. The script looks like: @echo OFF bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures PAUSE My question is, can I just add this to the logon script or is it best just run manually once per machine (or groups via impero)? Thanks
  15. Morning all, Hopefully a quick question. I'm looking at deploying the latest version of flash via MSI. On the download site there's two versions of the MSI, one for IE and the other for plugin-based browsers. Do I need to deploy both or will one of them cover everything? We use Chrome, Firefox, and IE here. In the past I've just pushed out the plugin based version. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks Dan
  16. Cool, I'll look at TrackMania, actually I used to play that a while back and remember it being good. I'm also looking at a game called 'world of padman' which is similar to Quake but more cartoon like (age appropriate). At the moment though I can't get it to install as it saya the download is corrupt :-(
  17. Thanks guys, ideally I'm looking for non violent to avoid parent concerns.
  18. Morning all, I'm starting a lunch time games club for students at my school. I was wondering what LAN playable games you would suggest? Preferably non violent (although we did play Unreal Tournament at my last place of employment). I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks
  19. @sonofsanta thanks for that, yes it was blocked. Hopefully I will see the issue is resolved now when people log on. Can you tell me of any other settings I should set to limit network browsing through chrome? Thanks
  20. Morning all, I've recently set Chrome as the default browser around campus via gpo with the admin templates which has worked well. The only issue I'm having is that Chrome won't allow the opening of local html files (like the ones generated in sims) and just comes up with a blocked message. I read somewhere that there is an addon available for chrome that allows the opening of local files. I've since forgotten where I read it. Does anyone know which addon I need? Many thanks
  21. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a very good A3 photo printer which I could purchase for our art department as they are running a photography course and the current printer isn't cutting the mustard. It has to be good quality, needs to be able to handle a large amount of photo prints each month, and not cost the earth in consumables. I'm keen to stick with inkjet rather than laser because otherwise I fear them melting inkjet grade photo paper to the fuser. Any recommendations are appreciated. Many thanks Dan
  22. @Michael thanks for your reply. Just to confirm after skim reading your other thread, If I import these admx files as described in video above to my 2008 R2 DC will I be able to set my IE10 settings on the 2008 R2 server through the new way (user preferences> Control panel settings> Internet settings)? At the moment I can see the new route in gpo management console but I only have the option to create new rules for IE5 - 8. I assumed the new admx files would be the ones to include IE10 and let me configure them? Thanks
  23. Hi Guys, We currently run Win 7 clients with a 2008 R2 server. At the moment they are running IE9 but I want to get them running IE10. Obviously we did have our proxy settings configured via the old internet maintenance method within a GPO that has now changed. Here's what I've done so far: I've downloaded and unpacked the Windows Server 2012 admx files onto the 2008 R2 server (as shown in video in this thread). I haven't yet copied the files into the central store due to having the following questions. 1. Will all existing GPO's remain as set and work correctly once I copy in the new updated files? 2. Someone mentions that in order to use the new policies correctly you need server 2012? Is this the case or will I be able to set the internet explorer settings via new method on the 2008 R2 server once I've imported the policies? 3. Is this fine to copy the files into the central store on my live network or should it be done out of hours? 4. Anything else I should know? Thanks for your advice.
  24. Hi all, As part of my decision making process I'm currently trying BE2012 which seems ok. I'm looking at trying BackupAssist next, I'm liking the look of the price! From what I've briefly read so far features like 'restore to vm' aren't available in BackupAssist, is anyone aware of any other features of BE2012 that BackupAssist doesn't have please? Thanks
  25. Having read various info would a /b on the end achieve my goal?
×
×
  • Create New...