mrwobbly
Members-
Posts
218 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mrwobbly
-
Has anyone allowed home access to a staff shared drive and if so how did you go about it?
-
I’ve just had a look and the redirect is \\server\Data%\staff\%username%\My Documents What’s odd is that the when I looked at the group policy in GPMC it only appears in group policy objects and is not linked to any sites, domains or OU’s.
-
I need to add 8 Windows 7 laptops to a server 2003 domain. My documents are currently redirected to a share and this is mapped to H drive on the computers. The H drive is present on the Windows 7 machines and correctly mapped to the users documents on the server. Opening documents on the start menu opens documents in the C:\ User folder instead of the H drive. I’ve installed RSAT. Do I just need to delete the existing GP that redirects my documents and set it up again?
-
I've been looking at Tooway from various providers and while it's not a viable option for most would be a vast improvement for me. I've been looking at the experience of people in a similar situation who have had recent installs on the forums on ThinkBroadband. It seems very positive if you can accept the latency. The Ofcom report gives positive conclusions on upload/download and video streaming which are my main uses.
-
Hills on all sides so that rules out line of sight and explains why no mobile phone signals are available.
-
Pricing packages seem to have become somewhat compatable for downloads with standard ADSL or cable in the past few months.
-
Oh Dear. Ping of 915ms with 0.13Mb download speed today and thats on ADSL. Satellite is looking more of an option each day.
-
Ping times are not a problem as I’m not a gamer or going to use voip. Ping on my current line at the moment 75ms. I’m not sure if it will affect my mobile phone but being able to have it working all the time is a small price to pay. At the moment wind and rain leaves me with no broadband for days on end but Freesat works faultlessly. I’ll phone some suppliers and ask about ping times. The technology seems to have moved on a lot since I last looked and prices are coming down. A couple of years ago it was down only and you needed the telephone for up. I will never see cable or ADSL2 where I am so no point comparing sat ping to cable or am I on the wrong track. I'm in a little village with about 30 properties.
-
Has anyone any experience of satellite broadband for home. If I cancel my 1.8Mb down at best, broadband and the home phone which I only have for broadband it’s the same price but 20Mb down, 6Mb up. I’m 4 km from the exchange in a very small village and my phone line has had constant problems for the past 18 months. It’s got to the stage of having no broadband for three days every two to three weeks. My mobile phone goes through broadband when at home so I lose that when it’s down also.
-
I was surprised as I’d never heard of it. I’ve seen untold photocopier and printer engineers come in and work on machines and take no precautions. Thanks for the replies.
-
A head has told me that laser printers produce carcinogens and printers must be sited x feet away from users. Doing a Google search I found the Australians produced a report that said the emissions may be carcinogenic but a later German study found they were no more of a hazard than a toaster. Is anyone aware of a mandatory or advisory distance to site printers from users?
-
I managed to grab a screenshot of the Hertfordshire school closure website earlier before it was corrected.
-
Odd, but every PC World and Currys local to me is showing them in stock and available for click and collect. Edit: Sorry I misread that. They send it to the store for collection.
-
I installed it couple of years ago and found it very straight forward. MSI download and used Orca to insert the licence key with the instructions sent by Plasq.
-
Will the quote for the i5 4GB Toshiba's laptops @ £150 still count.
-
How to switch between DHCP and static settings easily?
mrwobbly replied to TechSupp's topic in Wireless Networks
I would imagine it's for a head at a small primary with no server. Download this http://www.dhcpserver.de You can install this DHCP server on any desktop as it has little overhead. Set the IP range for distribution as small or as large as you like. Run it as a service. You will see where when you install as it's simple to setup. The main admin machine is good as it's normally always on. That just leaves you having to put on a proxy toggle. I have a nice graphical one if you want it pm me. -
Usually I just use a live CD in the original machine and it only takes about 5 minutes and has saved me hundreds of hours over the years.
-
I delete the five registry files in the System32 – Config folder. ( System, Security, Sam, Software and Default). Copy the files from a recent system restore snapshot in the System Volume Information folder and copy them into the config folder and rename. I find it fixes the problem in virtually all cases.
-
RM CC3 Network - Help Required
mrwobbly replied to Rab_Wah32's topic in Network and Classroom Management
PM sent. Smartclient is easy to use. You need the computer to have just XP and drivers installed. The local administrator password as rm and the hard drive with a blank name. Navigate to \\server\RMholding , open RM commissioning utilities in the utilities folder and run the msi. Disconnect from the server and open the RM folder now on your hard drive. Run smartclient.bat in the install folder. The computer will reboot and open with a box to enter all your build details and that’s it. -
RM CC3 Network - Help Required
mrwobbly replied to Rab_Wah32's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I’m sure I got an email from RM saying they were dropping CC3 training. Looking over the site it does not appear as an option any more. The training was good if you want to get up to speed quickly. The technician training is just going through the manual with some practical exercises thrown in. Everything you need is in the manual. I think I can let you have a copy of it in PDF if you haven’t got the full thing. With the driver problem, If you only have a small number of machines it may be quicker to install Windows on one, image it to the others via an external hard drive or other means and then put them on CC3 via Smartclient. -
Widget - Writing with symbols v2.615 (64bit?)
mrwobbly replied to athwilson's topic in Educational Software
Give the staff concerned the phone number of Widget and get a trial of Communicate in Print, the staff will love the update and funds will magically appear. It comes as an MSI as standard. -
First check I’d make is into device manager to make sure they have installed the latest chipset and graphics drivers. I’d be very interested in what processor it has. A Celeron of that time runs XP SP3 like you’re running through treacle. The lag on everything is painful. A cheap P4 CPU that the will motherboard supports from EBay could make all the difference.
-
Corrupt AD-is reinstall my only option?
mrwobbly replied to cheeseslice's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
With regard to the £25 ph. What do electricians and plumbers charge them per hour? Its £35 to £45 ph around here to schools, I’m sure it’s probably more to businesses. They also generate funds from the mark up on supplying parts. Is your skill, knowledge and time spent learning your craft worth less than those trades? Working as self employed you have to add cost to allow for all those extra expenses you incur. -
That seems a done deal.
-
Are you ok to pick up from Bushey and how soon can you do it?
