Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jbailey

Members
  • Posts

    78
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jbailey

  1. Don't get Sysaid, In general it's clunky and over priced. They don't seem to understand the principles of standard GUI design Kb system is good, ticket system is okay, user ticket submission can be good - we don't use it. asset management is a dinosaur and will drive you nuts in about a day, remote support is painful just use some flavour of Vnc. But my main gripe is that its just trying to sucker you in to buying modules for extras, want an extra admin logon? £300 quid, want two techs to use remote support? That's £100 quid, etc etc... That's better and cheaper solutions out there. We have it and I don't intend to keep it.
  2. Why can you not backup the source of the network drive?
  3. jbailey

    Newbie

    Wow, that does sound a mess. Hope the academy are going to give you some deep pockets, sounds like you will need them. Good luck.
  4. Is your ISP your LEA? We have used an invisible proxy service by our LEA and this helped with a lot of these issues. My 2 cents
  5. Hi, would you be willing to name hp kit involved?
  6. But surely the Germans use this word for explaining the mistakes of other nations not for commenting on their own endeavours?
  7. The latter
  8. Any 1/2gb job lots I would certainly be interested in
  9. Thanks, I suspect its largely about selling intune to be honest, but Im going to one of them anyway.
  10. Interesting, was Stalking this thread for while as looking to move dfs off 2008r2. Anyone else who had issues with 2012 shares seeing them resolved after the updates detailed above? Also, in terms of moving over to 2012, can you mix and match in dfs? Ie setup a 2012 machine, add it to dfs, wait for date to copy and then remove old 2008 machine, if not how did others do a smooth move to 2012 with their dfs machines? Thanks
  11. check what ntp servers are available, I had an issue where I had set time for pdc to external ntp server and that was filtered by the lea so I used there's - doh one school I inherited once was out of sync by 7 hours, so 2 mins isn't to bad ;0 but having rock solid network time is cool, everyone starts basing things around YOUR time shame the people who built your servers are not very friendly or helpful...
  12. I know the feeling, a few nights ago I spotted a machine had dropped off network when I was finishing some patching and just about to leave, fast forward to 9pm and I'm still at work, all the ceiling tiles in the room are off, step ladders are out and i'm crawling around with a flashlight in my mouth trying to figure out where this network cable is damaged... I'm all in favour of the 10 hour school day, might actually get paid for half the stuff I do for free now ;0
  13. "We can't control external devices so can't turn it off for them." This may help: Managing Exchange ActiveSync Devices: Exchange 2010 Help Exchange Active Sync can be used to enforce a passcode on mobile devices, has remote wipe “Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure” capability and office 365 control panel can be used to recreate policies for different users\devices to enforce it. we allows staff and students access to OWA - as without it they used personal emails at home to communicate - and configure active sync policies to address safety concerns, not saying it will tick all your boxes but I think active Sync has allowed us to move forward without our plan for: Office 365 + OWA + SkyDrive Pro = blocking pen drives and PST creation on site for everyone, so a lot more secure than it was.
  14. Sorry to resurrect this, but... "# script to assign or swap the licenses of a user #Copyright Microsoft @ 2012 #DISCLAIMER #The sample scripts are not supported under any Microsoft standard support program or service. So are there any plans for MS to add better provisioning to their 365 product and provide a way for auto assignment of licenses via the Office 365 control panel in the future, or to have it integrated in Azure AD Sync maybe? thank you
  15. The Ruckus WIFI was here when I arrived 3 years ago and the only downtime is when I moved it from one rack to another and 2 patches. Cannot think of anything bad to say about it really, the management GUI is good, support when I needed it was good, lots of resources and info from other ruckus users is out there, WIFI is reliable and well used, only ever replaced one access point because there was a flood and water go into it - we have 50 access points. support two primary schools that have it, only real issues there was they skimped on the initial number of access points to keep costs down and installed it o top of crap wired infrastructure, but that's due to be sorted over summer holidays and even so, this is not a reflection of the kit, yup happy camper here
  16. hi, win 2008 r2 I had some luck creating separate variables and concatenating them together to form unique paths based on their %username%, this works for what I need, but I am sure there's smarter ways to do this. thanks
  17. Its always interesting to read these social commentary threads on Edugeek, reminds me of the "big question" on tv But I'm not sure there's any benefits debate to be had, is the leakage in money enough to be of a concern any more than it is already addressed - I don't think so imho. I believe in the value of the welfare state as a social safety net, I think its needed but I think its always going to be open to abuse by people who are thankfully small in number. Some of whom genuinely do need help with education and other issues not always addressed by social services. It was good to see the young family in benefits street having "family\parent classes" - much more of this type of service is needed I feel, I meet a lot of people - as does my partner who works in social services - who don't appear to have had much nurturing or guidance as children - its a vicious circle that creates poorly life skilled adults who often rely on benefits I think. I also know from experience that a lot of people who project the image of your stereotype "why should I work when I can sit at home and get paid" scrounger are often people who have hidden educational or emotional issues to be dealt with and our current social services system is poorly funded\equipped to recognise let alone tackle that as its busy dealing with the "very" broken people let alone the "moderately" broken... Its tempting to dismiss these people as scroungers and scum - I'm sure some of them are scroungers, but I think a real reduction in the already small amount of people abusing the system could be made by simply helping them instead of demonising them. I think the idea of vouchers for a percentage of a benefit payment is a very good idea and should be trialled, If I was in a position to need benefits I would be okay with that. Yes, dealing with peoples issues and needs is all very expensive, but to be honest I don't really believe that any social services are in reality "under threat", its a choice of what the government pays for and who's needs they server and I think history and a brain hints that this usually isn't the business of the people they govern. So, generally I think the issues around benefits are a handy distraction for hard working types and good for providing someone else to blame - often people that are damaged and uneducated who cannot always defend themselves, and I think people would benefit more - pun - from looking up the tree than looking down it to see why more cannot be done in the context of benefits and social services to improve things for people struggling in this country. I'm not actually as liberal as I sound btw! Hope this helps, my 2 cents
  18. Do you know who did set it up? If your locked out of the admin account there's an option to set an alternative recovery account that MS can email details to when Office 365 is setup, but you need to know where that's going! I would get on the phone to MS 365 support pronto personally and explain what's going on.
  19. This may be of use: On my home PC, I map a drive to a sky drive pro folder by using the WebDAV path: \\mydefaultoffice365domain-my.sharepoint.com\DavWWWRoot\personal\user_yadda_yadda_yadda\Documents This also works with %username%__yadda_yadda_yadda This is on win 8.1, with dir synced account and stays active after adding site to trusted in IE and logging on at least once and ticking remember me. I have yet to play with this on school win 7 computers - hopefully tomorrow...
  20. lol, you and me both... Of course that would work - Doh thanks very much
  21. Hello, Thank you, but I need to find a way to insert the username into the middle of the path like: \\server\files\"unique username here"\files. So i'm thinking, something that gets the %username%, then concatenate the path around the username, then use the new unique path for the net use bit...
  22. Hello, i'm not really a scripting\coding person, I just put ticks in the right boxes all day So I was hoping someone could help me with something I am trying to do on a windows network, I have a server path: \\server\share\AUSER\files Where the AUSER can be different users each with a folder in that location. I want to create a mapped drive to that location, so can use net use D: \\blah... but, is there a way I could get the %username% of the logged on user and insert that into the \\ path to replace AUSER before mapping it as: \\server\share\NOAREALUSER1\files etc? Any help appreciated thank you.
  23. "remember, it is for a personal build, not a school build or a business build!" Okay I can see what your saying, but the difference from 60gb ssd and 120gb ssd according to google is around £20 quid. So as its your boss, cut yourself some slack and get the one you know you don't have to worry about. As opposed to the one that will begin to slowly fester and nag away at the back of your mind to the point that a year from now every time they walk into the office the first thing you will think is "oh crap, they are going to tell me its running out of space on the OS drive, and I am going to have to migrate all their crap to a bigger drive and reconfigure stuff" and even when you clone the sodding thing to a new drive they will moan on and on for weeks about how its "just not the same" now its upgraded, and now you are the butt of all their personal computer woes and the single undeniable reason for anything ever going wrong on their computer for ever from now until the of time or your suicide, which is now starting to look like a bloody good option btw, as it slowly starts to dawn on you what a terrible, miserable existence your life has now become all because I didn't spend £20 quid extra on a 120gb ssd drive. but you know, he will probably never need more than 60gb anyway, that's loads...
  24. Home machine is a work laptop - 120gb ssd for OS and 2nd 120gb ssd for virtual machines. Works for me, I have some large ISO files on the OS drive but I'm not a gamer\media hoarder so its 50% free. But 60gb for a os drive is not big enough in my opinion.
×
×
  • Create New...