-
Posts
74 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Chad
-
I know there are a number of FOG and OCS users here so this may be of interest to somebody. I've knocked together a plugin for FOG to allow you to import your PCs directly from OCS. You can find it on the patches section of the FOG site: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3184712&group_id=201099&atid=976201 I'm relatively new to PHP so be gentle if picking over the code, I'm sure it can be tidied up in places Cheers, Chad
-
Sorry for the necropost, I had this error on a Toshiba Tecra recently using FOG 0.29 and was looking for ideas when this thread came up. The solution I found was to replace the pxelinux.0 file in /tftpboot with that from FOG 0.28, all seems OK after that. May be worth a try.
-
Adding Wyse clients to citrix farm
Chad replied to HMCTech's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
As mentioned above, you need to set option 161 on your DHCP server and set it to the IP address of an FTP server. You can also set another couple of options with an ftp username and password - I use anonymous access so these aren't required. On your ftp server you then need to create the folder structure wyse/wnos under the ftp root. Then, you place your wnos.ini file in the wnos directory and the terminals will grab it on boot. There's a wnos.ini generator available from freewysemonkeys (I think) but I found it makes quite a big file. It can be useful to use this to get the syntax though then just cut and paste the lines you need. I have a config which presents users with a published desktop login screen a few seconds after boot. I can dig out the bare bones of the ini file if you want. Chad -
A quick workaround if you want the search facility but don't want the host lookup is to remove the DNS server entries from your /etc/resolv.conf I get all hosts instantly marked as "!" now but search works fine with FOG_HOST_LOCKUP still enabled. I'll have a look at the code and see if I can see the issue when I get time, I've still to submit my WOL over subnets patch yet though.
-
I found that setting this breaks the host search feature - nothing happens as you type a hostname in the search box. With the setting back on the search works again.
-
We use: ver | find "Windows XP" > nul Would that work, or do you have a specific requirement to read the registry?
-
Andy, What I do in my kix scripts when I open the logfile is: $ = RedirectOutput($logfile, GetFileSize($logfile) > 51200) The second paramater determines whether the file is appended to or overwritten. In the case above, it is appended to until it reaches 50k. If it's 50k+, the content gets overwritten. It may not be exactly what you want as you lose the previous content, but if you're logging this elsewhere and this is only a summary it may be an option to consider.
-
Problems with a simple password reset program in VB6
Chad replied to TriggerHappyUK's topic in Scripts
Shouldn't: Set objOU = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & txtStuNum.Text & "," & strContainer) be Set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & txtStuNum.Text & "," & strContainer) as you don't seem to be assigning a value to objUser before attempting to change the password? If you still get a "no such object on server" error, I'd suggest grabbing an LDAP browser and checking the path to your test object. Chad -
Just for reference, Here's the script I use to display the user's full name via BGInfo (save as a .vbs file and add as a custom field): ' ====================================== On Error Resume Next Dim colWMI, objItem, colQuery, strUserID, strName Set colWMI = GetObject("WinMgmts:root/cimv2") Set colQuery = colWMI.ExecQuery("Select UserName FROM Win32_ComputerSystem") For Each objItem In colQuery strUserID = UCase(objItem.UserName) strName = Split(strUserID, "\") If strName(0) = strName(1) Then strUserID = strName(1) & "\" & strName(2) End If Next Set colQuery = colWMI.ExecQuery("Select * FROM Win32_NetworkLoginProfile") For Each objItem In colQuery If UCase(objItem.Name) = strUserID Then Echo objItem.Fullname End If Next ' ====================================== This gets round the multiple user names on screen issue, and also displays the name correctly in situations where users log in as domain\username rather than username@domain. Your solution looks more elegant, I may give it some testing :-) Chad
-
Unless you have a specific need to, surely you don't need to share the individual folders? Share the parent folder (e.g. as userhomes$) then map the homes as \\server\userhomes$\%username% Provided the permissions are set correctly on the parent it all works swimmingly, and is easier to maintain.
-
Yep, I'm using a combo of "all the above" options (delprof, UPHC service, and cleanup scripts for when delprof fails), with the scripts and delprof running during startup. It still bugs me as to why it was happening though so I was glad to get to the bottom of it! I'd do the "guest user" thing, only I don't want profiles removed from laptops. Cheers, Chad
-
I found the reason why this was happening to PCs here: the ATI Hotkey Poller service (of all things!) was maintaining a lock on the profile folder and wouldn't let go, even after the user logged off. I tried to stop the service manually but the option was greyed out, so I switched it to manual to prevent it running in future (and have now got the startup script to do so). We've some non-ATI machines showing the same behaviour so I'll investigate those at some point. I used process explorer to find the offending file - after logging off, I immediately logged back on again and used process explorer to find anything with a lock to the previous profile folder (which was now empty) and ati2evxx.exe showed up. HTH someone, Chad
-
You can also mod these and turn them into a full C64 They were flogging them for a fiver in Woolies a couple of years ago.
-
I'm seeing this exact issue, sometimes there's an index.dat file left behind too which is locked, but usually I see empty profile folders amassing with an increment in the numeric suffix each time. I've got a GPO setting to delete the temp IE files, not sure if this and the profile removal are clashing or if it's something else...
-
Is your #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 line still commented? Removing the # should make grub boot the default without displaying the menu. You can still specify a timeout value which will enable you to press ESC to display the menu.
-
Good luck! I'm interested in seeing what the fix is in case it ever happens to me :-)
-
I've got 9.10 on my laptop at home, but it's an upgrade from 8.04 (I think) via the intermediate releases so may not be as pure as yours. I'll have a play tonight and see what's what. I can't remember ever changing it manually, but I think I hid some of the old kernel options from the Admin GUI - have you tried that route rather than editing the files directly?
-
Don't you need to run update-grub (or similar, as root) to enforce the new settings after you've made changes? The same sort of thing used to catch me out in the lilo days/ you'd edit lilo.conf but then had to run lilo to apply the new settings. ETA: Ooops, just noticed the file you've pasted above says to do that, so you've likely tried that already. Not sure what the cause is, but I think I've an Ubuntu VM at home I can try and reproduce it on.
-
Here you go, the code is well commented so you should hopefully be able to follow what's going on if you want a look. I'd recommend using Notepad++ as it colours all the keywords and make it easier to read. *** Updated *** Now supports PC Group, OU or PC Name matching It's set for applying printers based on the group membership of the PC, if you want to change this to OU membership or matches on the name of the PCs then you can change a single line of the script as explained in the comments. Hmmm, actually I could tweak the code so that the section names in the .ini file could contain an identifier which determines whether the match should be made on a group, OU or PC Name. This would eliminate the need for any code editing and make the printer assignment very flexible. Do you think that would be a useful feature? The readme should hopefully give you enough info on the installation and use. Let me know if you need any help. Cheers, Chad Map Printers.rar
-
I've written a kix script which maps printers and sets defaults based upon the PC's group membership - it could easily be adapted to use the PC's OU, the PC Name or user's group membership. It reads the groups and printers from a separate .ini file so there's no code tweaking required when you want to make changes/additions. I can post it if you're interested.
-
Why not use task scheduler? There's an option under Task Properties -> settings to specify that the job only runs if the computer has been idle for xx mins. Wait for a 15 min or so idle period then the scheduled job will kick in which runs psshutdown (or your preferred shutdown method). This can display a message and a further timed countdown before shutdown which the user can cancel if they're still at the workstation.
-
We use Kixtart too, and deploy printers based on the PC name. I created a script that reads a printers.ini file, this is just plain text so it's very easy for those in the department without scripting skills to edit/add/remove printers.
