-
Posts
276 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Andi
-
Thanks I've just done: ip route 172.10.0.0/24 10.0.0.1 on the switch, no success yet. Does that look nearly right?
-
I urgently need some advice with default gateway settings on a HP Procurve 5406zl. The switch currently looks after all the internal Vlans and is the router for these. The vlans all have their own default gateway. I have setup a VPN to a remote site which is all working with no problems (I can RDP onto my servers from the remote site), however I can't get from my server vlan over to the remote site and I'm pretty certain it's down to the routing. Camera server - 10.0.0.13 255.240.0.0 has a default gateway of 10.0.0.76 (the HP switch mentioned above. Our firewall is a watchguard and is on 10.0.0.1 If I run a tracert from the camera server over to the VPN I get nothing beyond the default gateway, suggesting to me that the switch doesn't know the route to the firewall? Can anyone help please?
-
Our school has recently signed up to be an IT academy, and the ICT staff are keen to get the boys using the courses provided as part of the CLAIT course. However there have been issues creating Live IDs for a fair portion of the pupils. We get through the initial screen asking for all the details and the get presented with the error: "We're unable to complete your request Windows Live ID is experiencing some technical difficulties while creating your account. To start using Windows Live today, get support now, click here ,choose Windows Live ID and copy paste the code below into the form. LEFKPK~OIUVMYWPTW\T]a" Following the support steps mentioned on the webpage results in nothing (there is no form to put the error code in). I've checked out firewall logs and nothing is being blocked on our side. The problem only seems to be with the creation of Live ID accounts. If the boys sign in using a passport they already have (hotmail account etc) then it runs fine. Has anyone else had this problem, or got any ideas to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
-
We use citrix for users to connect to their desktop from home and this has always worked successfully, mapping their local drives and printers so that they can transfer documents and print out work documents at home. Recently though citrix has stopped connecting the local printer and I cannot fathom out what has changed or how to resolve it. My local printer still gets mapped if I logon to the citrix server via RDP (internally) but as soon as citrix gets involved with the logon the printer vanishes. Looking at the server event viewer I can see the following chain of events: "Printer Temp Colour on theoden (from WS44454C4C59003) in session 1 was purged." "Printer Temp Colour on theoden (from WS44454C4C59003) in session 1 is pending deletion." "Printer Temp Colour on theoden (from WS44454C4C59003) in session 1 was deleted." Anyone have any pointers please?
-
For an active user (daily log on and off) how long do you roughly think that it could take to filter through? I tried to mimc the setup in a test OU and GPO with my own user, and even with gpudates, reboots and multiple logons the appdata still seemed to remain redirected.
-
It isn't just Acrobat that's being affected, that's just the latest thing that is. We're getting office apps hanging on some of our wireless clients, and it's only happening on users that have redirected appdata. I do like Foxit though, I use it at home.
-
Yes we're using roaming, and I am aware that profiles can get very large these days, but I think it's just a hit I might have to take as the redirected appdata is causing too many problems. We hardly have anyone using photoshop in the school, so the CS2 or CS3 issues shouldn't affect us. Do you know the answer to my later question by any chance? i've adjusted the policy so that the folder is directed back to the main profile one the policy is removed, but I daren't remove it just yet. Do I need to let the changes so far filter through to the users after they logon and off again? If so, this could potentially take all year!
-
OK, I found some answers here: GPanswers.com :: View topic - Best Way to Remove App Data Redirection which helps a great deal. One questions I still have is, once I check the box to move the folders back once the policy is removed do I need to wait until all my users have logged on to get the new setting BEFORE removing the policy?
-
For a few years we've had the appdata folder from our users roaming profiles redirected to another share on the server using GPO, however recently I've noticed a few issues that I think maybe related to this: We've just updated to Acrobat Reader 9, and we often get Visual C++ Runtime error when people try and open pdfs. After a bit of googling it appears that this is related to the appdata folder not being local and is an issue that Adobe aren't planning to fix, due to them not supporting folder redirection (I'm paraphrasing from the results I found). Also Some of our wireless clients have Word hanging randomly, and only when logged on with a user that has their appdata redirected. So, I'm considering pulling this setting back and just having the appdata folder pulled down at logon as with the rest of the profile. I'd imagine that this isn't going to be as straight forward as just unticking the box, as that will I guess have repercussions on users that already have the appdata stored somewhere else? Do I need to recreate everyone's profile (aargh!), or maybe robocopy the appdata folders from the share back to the users profile and then reset the setting? Hope someone can help.
-
Thanks, I think that will give the access I require.
-
I want to allow staff access to set the power saving/screen saver timeouts on their PCs where currently they are denied. I assume this is done via a group policy, but I can't for the life of me find it. Can some kind soul point me in the right direction please?
-
OK thanks. Still doesn't enable the users ability to add their own desktop though.
-
No I still have this problem.
-
Thanks, but surely users should still be able to select their own wallpapers with IE7 installed?
-
Students have wallpaper deployed by group policy and cannot change it. Staff can change their wallpaper by going to desktop properties. Neither of these are working. Strange this is that the selected wallpaper appears as the user is logging on and off, but disappears once fully logged on.
-
Over the summer break I deployed IE7 to the whole network and now users are complaining that they no longer have their desktop wallpaper. I've googled this to death, and tried manually changing a couple to work out what is going on, but everyone is just getting the default blue screen. Any ideas?
-
Map terminal session printers dependent on IP address
Andi replied to Andi's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Not needed anymore, I've worked out how to change the new thinclient names. -
Until recently we've been using the following script to connect our thin clients to the correct printers and it's been working like a charm: ' Script to add network printers to workstations and thin clients ' ' Author: Ric Charlton, 07/07/04 (amended 26/08/05) ' Declare variables and enumerate existing printer connections On Error Resume Next Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") Set oPrinters = WshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections Dim computerName computerName = LCase(WshNetwork.ComputerName) ' Citrix specific section if (Left(computerName, 4) = "orcs") then computerName = LCase(WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%CLIENTNAME%")) WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\" & computerName & "\printer" ' Debug line > WScript.Echo "ComputerName variable: " & computerName ' Delete existing connections to network printers For i = 0 to oPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2 On Error Resume Next if Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "lpt" And Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "usb" then WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection oPrinters.Item(i+1), true, true else WScript.Echo "No network printers found" end if Next ' Add printer connections dependant upon location Select Case (Left(computerName, 4)) Case "chap" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\theoden\chapel1710" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\theoden\chapel1710" Case "newh" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\theoden\newhouse" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\theoden\newhouse" Case "gran" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\theoden\grange" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\theoden\grange" Case "tudh" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\theoden\tudorhouse" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\theoden\tudorhouse" Case "hist" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\theoden\histlib" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\theoden\histlib" Case Else ' WScript.Echo "No default printers added" End Select end if What I would like to do now though is connect to the correct printer depending on the third octet of the station IP address, eg; connect 192.168.8.* to \\servername\printer connect 192.168.7.* to \\servername\printer Is there a variable change that I can edit in the above script to get this to work?
-
Scratch that, I've successfully deployed it with a script.
-
I think I've found the flaw in your argument
-
Has anybody successfully deployed delprof via GPO then? I've extracted the files to get the msi but deploy doesn't work. I know that you can get it to run from a server, but this scrolls through machines one at a time and takes a while, whereas if I had it installed locally I could run a whole room at a time, as well as other scheduled tasks, (Virus scan, defrag etc).
-
Good advice, I'll check through that when I create the 2005 client package. Thanks.
-
Anyone on here use PASS for Windows? If so, how have you rolled out the SQL client to your workstations? WCBS' solution is to install it manually, but when you're approaching 400 workstations that isn't an option. *Apologies for posting this question in two forums, I forgot there was a sub-forum specifically for MIS systems.
-
You gave me a great idea and I disabled the Automatic Update service on one machine and removed the package through GPO. Success! So, cheers for that! I don't suppose anyone has managed to package up a configured SQL 2005 client then have they?
-
A couple of years back we had to create and roll out a package for our PASS MIS system using WinInstallLE. The package installs the SQL 2K server client tools and configures them to talk to our SQL 2000 server. We are in the process of upgrading to SQL 2005 and therefore need to pull back the package and create a new one to install and configure the new client (neither PASS nor Microsoft offer a ready made package to do this!!!). However, we've hit a problem where the old package won't remove, reporting that the windowsupdate.log is in use by the program. When we initially created the package we made it with as clean a machine as possible, but obviously it wasn't clean enough. Does anybody know a way to get around this other than rebuild every machine in the school? We're desperate to get this update done. Also, has anyone successfully rolled out SQL 2005 client and configured it? If so, how? Thanks
