Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Andi

Members
  • Posts

    276
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Andi

  1. Preferably Newport/Cardiff area within easy reach by public transport. I'm trying to sort my girlfriend out with a job. She's been out of work since being made redundant as a techie at the BBC and has past educational experience working at Plymouth art college. Anyone know of anything on the grapevine?
  2. Andi

    Advert

    I second that motion! Wages are less here but cost of living certainly isn't! A pint down here costs the same as it does in London.
  3. As it happens, a couple of minutes after this post the IPS tags on the domain magically changed to what I requested, with no indication from Domain Express. Therefore it looks like problem solved. Thanks for your advice.
  4. I have a domain that I want to transfer away from the current holder to 123reg who deal with all my other domains and hosting. The other holder is a company called Domain Express who conveniently have disabled the transfer away part of their website and have no phone numbers to contact them. There are 2 e-mail address for contact both of which I have e-mailed several times but have received no reponse. After a bit of googling I discovered that the company used to be a part of freezone, who I contacted. They said they couldn't give me a number for domain express but would gladly email them on my behalf as "they seem to take more notice if they see freezone in the from address"!!! I haven't heard back from that as yet either. I desparately want to move the domain away from these jokers as soon as possible as it is due to expire on the 8th of this month. Does anyone know of either a way I can contact them or I can get a higher power (Nominet?) to kick them up the arse?
  5. I've only just started to use the software, but so far I find it fantastic. I've only got it installed in a couple of suites here so far as a little test bed, but I am only waiting on the go ahead to roll it out network wide. If that's the case I will certainly attempt to get a little money from my boss to help towards Kev's costs. Would be a terrible shame to see it disappear.
  6. Andi

    WSUS 3.0 Released

    Is it a good change? Better features etc?
  7. Cheers Geoff, maybe I'll wait a little while
  8. I've done a search but pulled up no obvious results. Presumably people have started to roll this out? Any issues, should I hold off for a bit?
  9. We use a tool called LanViewer which scripts this for you nicely amongst other features. All free too. I believe the link is in the downloads section of this site. An example of the script you could run would be: "shutdown.exe -s -m \\computername" There are other switches you can put in to warn the users, or force a shutdown if someone is logged on etc, but this is what we use nightly with no issues.
  10. Andi

    WSUS 3.0 Released

    Let us know how it goes bfg, I'd be interested in upgrading. Typical, I've been playing around trying to streamline version 2 as best as possible all week!
  11. Andi

    A Printer Script

    We already have a working setup using con2prt to allocate printers to our fat clients depending on their OU. I was just looking for a solution for my thin clients and this is great, thanks again.
  12. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Ric's script seems to be working a treat for my thin clients. Thanks for all your help.
  13. Andi

    A Printer Script

    I see, thanks Ric and Geoff for your help so far. So if the users run the logon script no matter where they logon it will only map the printer if they are on a terminal station of course. (We have both thin and thick clients here). I'll add my location now.
  14. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Sorry Geoff, you've confused me. I have to run the script to connect the printers at the terminal server startup?? This hasn't been mentioned anywhere else in this thread.
  15. Andi

    A Printer Script

    How can I run the script at machine startup on a thinclient?
  16. Andi

    A Printer Script

    This is all looking good so far, however the script isn't running at logon. I have added the vbs script to %systemroot%\system32 and told the registry to call it as in the Microsoft link above. However, it isn't running. Any ideas?
  17. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Ah yes, I see. Thanks for your help. I'll be back I'm sure
  18. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Sorry guys, how can I manually set my TS clients ID? Currently it's picking the MAC address. I've tried manually creating a computer account in AD with the correct GUID but it's not working.
  19. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Actually scratch that, I've just found this page for the login script section. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195461
  20. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Do you mean to set it in the Environment tab of the Terminal Server Config?
  21. Andi

    A Printer Script

    I see, thanks Ric. Now this is probably a stupid question (it's Monday) but do I run it in the usual user login script? Won't this then run on all stations slowing the logon? Geoff, I believe they are yes, but I will need to check first. I apologise if I'm being slow
  22. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Terminal Server
  23. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Bump?
  24. Andi

    A Printer Script

    Would this script work with Thinstation clients? They connect using the GUID that AD sets them, but presumably I can set their client name somewhere so that it reflects the room they are in? If that is the case then how would I run this script on a thinclient?
  25. We connect our printers with a VBScript using con2prnt.exe which is then assigned per OU with GPO. This works a treat for our client stations, however. It doesn't work for our terminal stations. Our terminal stations connect using thinstation which boots from PXE on the network cards. This requires them to have an account in AD on which you set the Remote Install properties to use the thinstation boot file. What I want to be able to do is to assign a printer to the terminal station depending on which classroom it is. Of course the terminal stations do not take any notice of GPO despite the fact that they are placed in OUs with them set. Currently they all connect to one terminal server which has all the necessary printers installed which then relies on the student choosing the correct printer from the drop down list, which of course never happens. Does anybody know a way to sort this?
×
×
  • Create New...