Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

solitaire89

Members
  • Posts

    352
  • Joined

Everything posted by solitaire89

  1. yip, USUALLY I'm then expected to support it!
  2. It's even more odd than just "someone else deals with it"... I didn't even know it was on it's way! First I knew was when I got a text from "the school"
  3. We've not had it long enough for it to go wrong. Darn it - I've just jinxed it, haven't I
  4. Isn't it nice to have something that's dealt with by someone else
  5. we use teachers2parents.net. It isn't something that the IT dept deals with so I don't know all the ins and outs, but it seems to be very easy to use, and the big bonus is that the person sending the texts out can see who's recieved the text and who hasn't. Makes for good fun when a parent says that they didn't get it! I'll get some more details for you tomorrow if you'd like.
  6. Would that not still cause logs to be generated on the mail server? Purely a question, and nothing meant by it - I'm trying to learn as I'm going, and I'm blonde so it's a long process Would that stop e-mail coming through from other sources too? Again, like I said... only a question, I'm learning
  7. hmm... i take it they can't mail other places then off hotmail?
  8. Is there anything generated by your mail server? If we ever get mails failing to reach us because of an issue on our side, I always get a report (normally in triplicate) on the server that gives me more info than found in the automated reply to the sender.
  9. That sounds good to me... Wonder if I could get my OH to move?!
  10. I'm sorry to drag up an old thread, but I think someone has misunderstood what I was saying here... I meant that I didn't want to come across as rude at all. I find it very hard in our place for people not to take offence, if I even say "I'm sorry, but I don't deal with things like that. Have you tried speaking to {insert name of site manager here}?". I didn't want edugeeks who have really helped me a lot so far to think bad of me, so sorry if I've offended anyone
  11. Show off... Just because I'm blonde........
  12. I love it - "take action", but nowhere does it tell you what to do!
  13. I feared that was where I was heading. Damn you AVG, why couldn't the powers that be have chosen Kaspersky! Thanks for your help though
  14. Phew... Bet you'll still ache later though. TC
  15. All of the old AV has gone, for def... I'm still looking for a link with a driver/app. Though, it has to be said, that, seeing as the school is closing in 10 mins, I'm not busting a gut right now. I'll deal with it properly when we get back Is that bad of me? I'll call it research time at home! Obviously I'm very grateful for the help still
  16. Are you ok? Did you get yourself checked out, even if it's only by your work first aider?
  17. We have so few machines here that they're all done "by hand", i.e. no imaging/slip-streaming here. (That's another long story - I'm just the technician, not the network manager. As someone said, I'm not paid to have an opinion). I hadn't thought of Win updates being the issue... that's next then. I agree about the malware protection priority! AVG don't have anything that I haven't already applied - and like I say, if I call them, their response is just to not use it Not heard of that one, thanks Any suggestions are greatly appreciated I'm willing to try anything, even gin. No, especially gin!
  18. I'm glad that it's not just me that gets this sort of "IT query". I'm trying to come up with some sort of reply that doesn't just come across as plain rude!
  19. Would do, but I don't have a car I don't think I can wheel spin on foot Hoping it's not to bad underfoot to get home (see edited post above!)
  20. Kidderminster-ish way... It's pretty much stopped now, but what fell has stuck - it's about 2" by the front gates. They've not shut us, even though half the kids have gone, and cars can't get up the road outside the school!!! EDIT: Spoke to soon - message through the txt system just arrived; we're closing at 1
  21. Having great fun here... We moved to AVG 9 just before Christmas, and as soon as we installed it, we started getting blue screens left, right and center. The stop code isn't particularly helpful... 0x40000080 and although the location is always slightly different, the last part is always the same: 0x00000001 Before, it was just 1 machine at a time, but this morning I've lost 5 in our suite of 20 machines (all are running XP Pro). Any ideas? I phoned AVG, and was told to just to uninstall it to fix the problem (great, so I'd have no a/v?! AND when we've just paid for it and all?! ). Out of interest I tried the freebe version to see if that made any difference... Nope, still blue screens. Oh, the evilness...
  22. I think the official line came into being because so many parents had already called, and then other kids started phoning their parents! We've not got that many kids, and they're all good Certainly, anyone who wants my Mother to ring their school please send me your school's phone number!!!!!! Service is offered at a minimal charge of one G&T per call
  23. Well it's well and truely snowing here now! The official line is that if a parent phones in, they are allowed to collect their child now/the child is allowed to go (obviously the kids don't know this!). I have called my Mother, and she's phoning the school in a few mins! :D:D
  24. It should be possible to see the originating computer's IP address in the e-mail header. However, be aware, we've got a similar situation here of bullying e-mails sent using webbased mail, and it's being implied by parents that the originating IP was spoofed to frame another kid... considering this is 8 year old kids, I don't buy it for 1 second. BUT if your suspect is a parent and IT savvy, be prepared for a fight on your hands if you can match IPs
  25. Oh please, Oh please, Oh please!!!! (Finding it very difficult to type with fingers crossed!)
×
×
  • Create New...