-
Posts
2,543 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICT_GUY
-
Also can anyone provide an example of suitable switches that they would recommend. At the moment I am trying to get a rough figure together so that we can actually see if we have anywhere near the resources to do this project.
-
Thank you for all of you contributions. More info needed from me. We have around 400 staff and pupils with 100 pcs at the moment which is due to increase. The current network is basic cat5e with Netgear GS724T switches, which while ok are not really up to the size network we have. At least one of them is dropping packets for a past time. It may be that we put in a fibre back bone but keep the current cabling as I don't think we will have enough money to completely rewire. I should stress that the network copes well ATM but it was a budget solution and bang for buck it has delivered. But it needs to be upgraded!
-
After many years of resistance I have finally been put in the position of having to have a wireless system in our primary school. Ideally I would like the current wired network overhauled at the same time. It needs to be a managed network but BYOD is not essential and probably not desirable. This is not my area of expertise as what is available seems to change monthly. What I really need is recommendations on what systems are available and the pros and cons, all help very much appreciated.
-
Setting updateproxy.swgfl.org.uk and then running Netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie <<< seems to do the trick. Everything is working now, slowly but reliably. It seems to be related to updated versions of the update client. The older they are the more flakey they are. Well certainly whilst sitting behind swgfl proxies anyhow. I am STILL updating servers, it is taking forever but it is working!
-
Ok this is really starting to annoy me. Update I have used the Netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie to import the windows update settings to the server. I am using updateproxy.swgfl.org.uk for updating. The server will now run the update. However, two windows 7 workstations are having a hell of a job updating. Is there any voodoo that I am unaware of that you do without thinking that I have missed out? ATM I am thinking it's something obvious, a network switch issue or a swgfl issue. All insights would be useful as I am tearing my hair out at this and I have real work that I need to do!
-
I think I have tracked this down. I rather foolishly let windows update install a new network driver. Reverting back to the HP driver has fixed this issue. Once again I have learned that microsoft cannot be trusted when it comes to installing drivers :-(
-
Cheers. Can I ask you what swgfl dns servers you are using for your forwarders? Please. I have 62.171.194.104 & 105
-
Mine is a fresh install on a dedicated server. It has updated and it has downloaded the new updates but it just freezes up.
-
Im not going through a local proxy, just the swgfl one. There is no bypass that you don't have to loginto :-(
-
All updates seem to complete eventually, Windows update seems to be problematic on all my servers but this is the worst. I do wonder if its something to do with SWGL and their proxy. I am fighting my way through the updates atm.
-
I lied, It still keeps hanging. I get to install updates then I have to repeat the above.
-
Not had a chance to play with windows 8 much (at all). I was waiting till 8.1. I have not had a chance to test the software yet, but I am hoping to gut most of the legacy applications. We still have some that stipulate win 95 and at least one that has a recommended spec of a 486!
-
My best guess on this was forwarders not being set up correctly for DNS. Fixed and happy now.
-
1. Click Start 2. Type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. 3. Right click Command prompt and choose “Run as Administrator” 4. At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command: a. net stop wuauserv b. net stop bits c. net stop cryptsvc Please do not close the Command Prompt window. Rename folders pertaining to Windows Update. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command: a) ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old b) ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command: a) net start wuauserv b) net start bits c) net start cryptsvc This got it to stop hanging, so far. :-/ Don't know what was upsetting it though :-(
-
And your reasons for choosing win 8? I like win 7 personally, but that is because I am used to the old style I guess.
-
When I try to check for updates, the server just hangs there. I can't close or move the window. Other people seem to have this problem, I just wondered if there was an obvious fix. I have managed to run it once successfully.
-
Core duo PC's, brand new server. It's going to be a do over from scratch as currently the clients are all XP. Lots of old software that is going to have to be replaced. All feedback appreciated.
-
Thanks for that, yes it it's a real culture shock. Takes a bit of getting used to, as does having a responsive server. If I can just not let any users log on it might stay that way!
-
There seems to be a lack of well rated server 2012 books on Amazon. Has anyone bought one that they can recommend. I'm Up to speed on server 2008 but the new layout of 2012 is throwing me, I need a book! Also I need a guide on deploying images with 2012, I have always used Ghost but that no longer looks to be the way. All Help appreciated.
-
Aerosol dusters are highly flammable or very bad for the environment. Air compressors are the way to go. I have a fairly quiet but low powered (takes ages to fill) Stanley one. It does the job and is compact and easy to carry. From experience the following needs to be kept in mind. 1. The dust is NASTY, it will make you itch and produce allergies in even the toughest Techie. Outside is a must. 2. It will make you feel very icky very quickly. 3. It will clean to a very high standard. 4. It's a lot of work. 5. Sometimes and industrial high flow vacuum cleaner and a brush gets results without the drawbacks. 6. It's fun and dangerous, but mainly fun, to shoot ball bearings through plastic tubes into things.
-
I saw this project only recently. How did you do it? Quick and dirty or screens and keys all singing and dancing?
-
Im interested as we use scratch for year 3. BTW Graphical programing for Arduino.
-
I just completed an incubator monitor. It displays the temp and humidity and sounds an alarm if either goes too far out of wack. *Wife hatches Turkeys, wife happy*
