Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Busybub

Members
  • Posts

    385
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Busybub

  1. Off the top of my head they need access to Control Panel in order to run rundll32 which the SRHW needs. I get around this by setting another policy: User Config/Admin Templates/Cntrl Panel/Show only specified applets Only give access to Printers and Faxes
  2. Currently using a pair of 500 gig jobbies for software backups (also serving as my licensing reference) and images. Definitely worth doing, makes life easier than trying to find a CD
  3. I've noticed it occasionally doing something odd too. Once, it never installed any of the web components. Bloody typical innit??? *grumble grumble* Ordinarily I might feel the urge to come up with some witty retort, but right now I just really feel like smacking something! *GRRRR* Anyhoo... methinks I may have cracked it: Looks like users need Bypass Traverse Checking enabled. Seems to be working on all of my computers now, hopefully it will stay that way or I'm going to scream! Still getting exit code 7 when following the official instructions though, so something else is amiss, but at least I can start getting these out now.
  4. Re: Unions How much each year???
  5. Pants! This is not looking good After running a battery of tests on a stand alone unit, adding bits of software one at a time, it was all looking good... until joining it to the domain. At first, thought it might be a software conflict, so I rolled it back to the previous one which appeared to be OK, but every time I join it to the domain it just doesn't work! *ARGH* Created a new OU with no policies and a brand new user. Same problem. Looks like one of two possibilities: 1)Something in the default domain policy. 2)Something to do with a network issue we've had since reinstalling from backup due to a primary DC failure. I could be screwed if it's #1! I'm definitely screwed if it's #2!!! Anybody got any advise, short of chucking myself out of the window??? *not happy*
  6. Was looking at benching over Summer hols just gone, for 26 student workstations, a teacher desk and printer desk. We're based in South East. Didn't get a response from ISIS. Got an email from ITBenching saying that they were completely booked out over Summer and was promised a quote which never showed up, even after chasing. Got a visit from Computer Talk(Dagenham). The guy who came over spent a lot of time looking at our specifications and seemingly went out of his way to come up with reasons for not doing much of it. Said he'd have a look at it and send a quote over, again nothing. Got a quote from ABC Desking for 18k a variety of diagrams including some modifications to the ones we supplied. Taking into account the fact that just before Summer hols is a lousy time to be asking, we really didn't have any choice and the response was disappointing to say the least. Though ABC was completely out of our price range, I would at least consider them again in the future, they also have some interesting monitor stands with cable management and built-in keyboard holders. Ended up rehacking our old benches. Next time it may be a trip down to B&Q! Otherwise, our electrics and network cabling cost around 10-11k for 32 double electric points and 32 Cat5 points. Went with downward-facing, tamperproof CAT5 points and have completely eliminated any ongoing maintenance as a result of kids bashing the faceplates with their knees. At another site, we get a similar problem with monitors pushed up against regular faceplates, so I would definitely recommend this type of panel.
  7. We charge 3p per BW page, 13p for colour Kids get up to £2.50 credit per half term depending on their year. They cannot print in colour. Staff get allocated an arbitrarily large amount of credit, and their budgets are actually charged according to what they use.
  8. What are the dimensions of the hall (including ceiling and any suspended ceiling)? Which wall is the picture going to be projected on?: It is relatively easy to discuss IWB/projector installs in classrooms because we all have a good idea of how big classrooms generally are. Beyond a certain size it will become increasingly more difficult to find a solution, either technologically or within an acceptable budget. You may have to compromise somewhere. As you approach this point you really need an expert to come in and discuss your options and give you a quote (assuming your hall is as big as it sounds). In terms of options for interactivity, we use a Smart Sympodium with dedicated computer in our hall. A small tablet PC may be cheaper option depending on spec but since the projector and it's wiring is basically a fixed installation, it may not offer any advantage other than cost. To enable staff to walk around and interact, we use a Smart Airliner hooked up to the same computer, and have a wireless keyboard available on request.
  9. Busybub

    New Suite.

    I can sympathise. Had to shift a ton of kit down a flight of stairs myself... next time I'm calling in reinforcements! Just out of interest, how much did the benching cost? Tried to get some quotes in at short notice over Summer and couldn't get anybody in to even have a look (other than one company that wanted a completely ridiculous sum).
  10. I'm heading that way too. Giving up on the existing installs though, none of the suggested fixes seems to work. CS3Cleanscript doesn't help, even after using CCleaner to clear up the stray registry entries it doesn't remove. 26 computers to rebuild.... *grrrr* I'm still having to leave out the "--mode=silent" switch. Have no idea why it's not working as advertised. Think I'll have to go along with Joe's assessment, it's just a big pile of
  11. ... and as luck with have it the kb article is currently not available :censored::censored::censored:
  12. 'nuff said .... round three
  13. Doh! What was I thinking? Of course your install.xml and uninstall.xml aren't going to work, we're running different licensing! *slap myself* On the other hand, tried the application override jobbie and it still wasn't having it. Ran CS3Cleanscript, tried again - same error Built another new workstation - same error Did endless troubleshooting of msiinstaller errors popping up in the logs - same error Built a new workstation not on network - same error ... Took out --mode=silent from the command line, got exit code 0 and ran a visual install without license prompt, and for the moment it seems to have done the trick on my non-networked workstation... FFS! Are they having a laugh????? I've p*ssed away over a week on this! Can't believe it can be something this bloody simple and there's no mention of it anywhere! I've had enough, coming back in on Wednesday to try it out on the live workstations, I'm off home..... :mad: :mad: :mad:
  14. Busybub

    Mini Notebook

    Frankly I'm a bit baffled about why she isn't already using her laptop and feels the need for the school to splurge on another device to do exactly the same job? That said, have an Aspire One myself and though the keyboard is better than a 701 I wouldn't want to use it during a long meeting, especially since the battery life is really(!) poor and the orientation of the trackpad buttons takes some getting used to. Worst case, I'd probably go with an Asus 901 - battery lasts at least 3 times longer, keyboard is about the same.
  15. Busybub

    Mini Notebook

    For typing notes I'd be inclined to get a cheap 15" laptop (anything of recent vintage will do): More usable keyboard than a 10" netbook, half the price of a 12".
  16. Only have Application, Content and Video folders at the root of my copy of CS3. No AdobeDesignSuitePremiu men_US_Volume folder in payloads I'm working on Application\Adobe CS3\payloads\AdobeWebSuiteStandarden_US_Volume This is the one which shows up as the driver folder in setup.xml Main setup.exe from which the record mode was run is in Application\Adobe CS3, which is where my install.xml and uninstall.xml are located. Can't see where it's obviously gone wrong as I've done exactly the same as you have other than sticking the files in differently named folders (even went as far as putting it in every payload folder just to be sure!). Even tried with --skipProcessCheck=1 and it still stops at the same point. Somehow I managed to get exit code 6 on one attempt, but never seen it since. Using 512RAM, but my box of RAM for the ICT room has finally shown up so I'll chuck a gig in just to be certain that is not the problem. .... onwards with round two!!! *GRRRRR*
  17. Should have started this one under FFS! instead... My opinion of Adobe has gone down considerably in the last 7 hours! I'm wondering whether they employed a chimp to write these instructions, if his brother wrote the code, and if their relatives work in Adobe tech support. I thought a network install of the full Abacus suite was a joke but this one takes the biscuit! :censored: Getting the same error code over here too, on whichever computer I try it on. Any chance you can attach your install/uninstall.xml and application.xml.override (minus your key obviously)? Read something online about the formatting of the files potentially causing problems. Regenerated mine in notepad saving as utf-8 but still no joy. Cheers
  18. Cheers mate! I'll give that a go when I'm back in tomorrow. I'm sensing a conspiracy here, every piece of software I've received since start of term has thrown up some sort of problem *grrrr* 10 pages eh? There goes my day (again)...
  19. Has anybody had a problem with CS3 Web Standard where an attempt to run one of the programs throws up an error?: "Licensing for this product has stopped working" Have applied every fix in this knowledge base article: Error "Licensing for this product has stopped working" when you start any Adobe Creative Suite 3 application Still doesn't work. Can't download a copy as it won't allow me to do so from the licensing site. Spent 45 mins on the phone to their licensing support only to be shunted to tech support where I spent another 45 mins waiting, only to be told by the bloke on the other end that it should only be run from an administrator account... *COUGH*.... you wot?????? Er, yeah, I'm really going to give our kids admin rights... Having suspended my utter disbelief that this can possibly be the case, I've not found any other info to support this, other than trying with a student test account with admin rights which managed to get one of the programs running as far as requesting the license key which I had already input under my own account??????? Any thoughts? I know some of you have managed to get this piece of crap working but I can't see where I could have possibly cocked it up as it's on a completely clean build, installed straight from the DVD... ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  20. Only if you run an offline defrag but even then that will only work if you have 110% of your existing mail store as excess capacity into which the server can do it's stuff (can be in another partition if you have any). Defragment Exchange 2000/2003 Server Databases and How to defragment with the Eseutil utility (Eseutil.exe)
  21. As Geoff mentioned, manpower is the issue when it comes to searching through student mailboxes. It's an absolute dog of a task... One way to simplify this is to set Exchange so that it forwards copies of every email to a specified mailbox (yours?). This makes it easier to scan email content for signs of abuse, but at the expense of effectively halving your storage capacity and taking up a good portion of your time when you check your mail! If I had a choice I'd get rid of student email entirely...
  22. On your print server, try forcing a policy: Computer config/admin templates/printers/allow printers to be published
  23. Busybub

    Tablet PC ideas

    Lenovo X61, 12", Intel Core 2 Decent build quality, good keyboard, around 600-650 from Insight
  24. 745 is definitely PCI-E Best bet is probably an ATI jobbie with either a Y-splitter that gives you one DVI-D and VGA, or dual DVI or dual VGA (depends on the card) MCS Technology Ltd should have some listed under video cards
×
×
  • Create New...