-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
Link2ICT want to know about technicians / Network Managers
alan-d replied to jamin100's topic in General Chat
Who exactly was asking? Most of that information should have been included on the last census return. -
Not had time to look properly but have you searched here? PHP Security Systems | Hot Scripts
-
Looking for advice/opinions (Ruckus and Aruba)
alan-d replied to Dodgex1's topic in Wireless Networks
Ask me again after Easter as that's when we get Ruckus installed throughout the school -
Sounds like they close the window running through any scripts in place after they login. If that's not the case then I'm not sure what it is.
-
Creating training material for teachers
alan-d replied to beeswax's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Is this any use as a starting point Teaching with Moodle for total beginners - MoodleDocs- 13 replies
-
- 1
-
-
That just underlines my comments on another BSF thead
-
You mean the ironing thread....??????????????? really?????
-
Unless you have plenty of time don't bother with a questionnaire. Go around and talk to the staff, teaching and support staff. Get a feel of what they think is lacking and what they would like to see. Most of which you probably know anyway but still ask them, this will make any transition easier later on because they are aware of what you are trying to achieve. As for the DP itself - start by explaining what you have in place and why it should be replaced or updated. Start from the switches to the servers, on to the clients, IWBs, projectors, printers and software. Don't forget to mention things that the user does not see such as backups, filtering and Anti virus. Then create a step by step plan on what to do to put it right, but do it in a way that a non IT reader can understand the basics of what you are saying. For example when I arrived here there were hubs instead of switches, so I gave a brief explanation as to why switches were better and why they should be given priority over new PCs etc. I them moved to the servers and so on. Eventually you get to a point where you are actually creating a 5 year plan at the same time. I suspect money is tight, so break it down into sizeable lumps which could be spread over a number of years (5 year Plan). The management can then see what needs doing, why it needs doing and what the costs are. The more effort you put into this first plan will ease the pain in future years as you already have a base to work from. I might still have a copy of the first one I did here, obviously out of date but if you want a copy, just let me know.
-
All IT requirments and procurement come through me (NM). Usually email is the best way. A good email giving details of services offered with examples and preferably some pricing is more likely to go in my 'possible suppliers' list than a phone call. A web site that loads images quickly (image 1) and is informative helps As to who we use is up to me. I don't always go for the cheaper option as long as I can justify it, but usually cheaper gets you short listed. Being on the LEA preferred suppliers list helps as anything over £10k is passed. Anything over £10K from a supplier not on the preferred list requires 3 quotes to keep auditors happy. (The £10K is cumulative). Things that keep me happy Good communications - I may need things in a hurry. Good workmanship - fail my standards and you won't be asked again. Clean up after installation - failure means caretakers won't allow you in again. Excellent competitive pricing including prompt, accurate quotes. Excellent warranty and call out times to suit us. Flexibility - sometimes things change at the eleventh hour. Good consultation, before during and after. High quality goods.
-
At Home http://www.speedtest.net/result/410470696.png Supposed to be a 20mb connection but Virgin finally admitted there was a fault at there end and have reduced my bill accordingly (and have been for 12 months!!!)
-
Joomla is good but also have a look at e107 as it is a bit easier to get to grips with if you are not an expert. There are also lots of free templates about that you can download and edit. eg : Downloads but a quick google should find you loads more
-
Thanks - I'll have another look when I get a moment. I'm off next week (half term). I've moved the login boxes to where all browsers seem to work for the time being
-
-
Sorry - 1.5 and the login module is YOOlogin
-
We are creating a new Joomla site and all is going well but for a couple of minor problems. The first is the login box - The text should appear under the login boxes and works fine in IE but is out of place in FF (Examples attached) How can we fix this? (It works fine if I put the login box elsewhere on the page). The second problem is - can we use sessions instead of cookies? It seems that when we change the header it does not show on the users screen if they have visited the site previously. If not sessions, how can we force cookies to expire after say 24 hours? Hopefully easy questions for someone
-
Excellent - YOOLogin worked a treat and actually looks better than the default. Thanks again
-
Thanks - I'll have a look. Apparently there is another way - I found this Simplifying the Joomla login module But as you can see the vital code is missing Just about sums up my week so far
-
I need to remove the 'Remember Me', 'Forgot your Password' and Forgot your username' links from the Joomla (1.5) Module but I can't seem to find where the correct lines are. I've looked in mod_login and com_user directories but I'm not a php expert, can anyone help?
-
Why have BSF? That video shows that BSF as it now stands is over cooked. In my opinion that school could have improved its ICT by the use of a decent consultant and at a fraction of the cost both in the short and long term. BSF for IT is a good thing however, it is being used by large companies as a money making machine for there own ends by preying on schools that have little or no knowledge of existing technologies so anything presented to them is wonderful, shiny and will do everything for them. Had those schools under the guidance of a consultant been shown other schools with all the wonderful tools and what could be achieved with IT then I feel the result would be the same but at a fraction of the cost.
-
All that money spent to duplicate what we already have . Oh hang on .... we have an average 3 min call to fix time they have 30 mins. One more thing - loads of dosh spent but they still didn't install short throw projectors...tut tut
-
It doesn't mention SIMs or others in the literature and what are the costs like?
-
Could be made to take 3 extra days holiday at Christmas
alan-d replied to beeswax's topic in General Chat
It works well for us and lets face it you probably work that hour unpaid anyway so should be no change in routine. Our contracted hours are 0800 - 1600hrs Mon-Thu and 0830 - 1530 on Fri. By making Friday an 8 till 4 day gives us the hour to bank for Xmas. Anything over the 24 hours is used in the other holidays as an early knock off if we need it. -
Could be made to take 3 extra days holiday at Christmas
alan-d replied to beeswax's topic in General Chat
The way we work the Xmas break is that we all work an extra hour a week above our contracted hours. This is banked and used between Xmas and New Year. The school is closed over the whole period. -
Sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind so here goes.......... IT's A STUFFED TOY - GET OVER IT!!
-
Sent a PM - you have no email addy listed
