RobC
Members-
Posts
391 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by RobC
-
A) Large Hammer B) C4 C) Dynamite D) Kick It :twisted:
-
A HA! I know I'd figure out where you were sooner or later ZeroHour! I'm just along the road in Moray. And I'm in the ONLY secondary school out of eight that ISN'T closed today! Even the other one in our town is closed!
-
Is it possible to Telnet or similar into the AX100 & work with it at that level? Does the manufacturer provide any utilities that may be of use? Just a couple of thoughts, hope they help. Rob.
-
We get this here a lot. User attempts to log in & gets the message "The Domain ELGINC is not available." Rebooting the system solves it. I've never actually pinpointed what causes it, but I have found that when this happens, the link light on the network port has gone out. For info, we are using ADMtek AN983 onboard network adaptors in our systems which are Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic P300's. The switches are Cisco Catalyst 1900 series running at 10Mbit/s.
-
Anyone else noticed the guy's surname - Ben Scammell... I know, I know, it's probably a coincidence, but funny all the same.
-
Symantec Web Security - Not letting me allow a site!
RobC replied to indie's topic in Educational Software
Just burn it! Burn the damned software & send it back to hell where it belongs! -
I found teh same as Jonk - we can't use it here as we go through two proxies before reaching the Net.
-
Heheh. I can beat that. It's about eight or nine hours to Manchester from where I live by car, even longer by train & far too expensive by air. Guess I won't be getting to the Northern conference either. Admittedly, I won't even be working at a school by that time anyway, but that's beside the point...
-
As long as you go down the iSCSI route as opposed to Fibre Channel, the costs are a lot less than people think. Also iSCSI is now virtually as fast and virtually as reliable as FC. Reading the Enterprise section of PC Pro shows quite a few iSCSI devices appearing and getting good reviews too. The real beauty of iSCSI being that it runs on conventional ethernet cabling instead of expensive Fibre & the associated FC switches.
-
Well, I can tell you why the "Size On Disk" is about 30 times larger than the actual file sizes - Cluster Size. Each cookie is a 1kb file, while the smallest cluster size is a lot larger than 1kb, so for each cookie stored it is wasting quite a bit of space & thus increasing the "Size On Disk" value. And now I bet you wish that you'd never asked...
-
Just handed my notice in to the Headmaster - four weeks to go!!! Talk about being thrown in at the deep end though. I've got one week once I start my new job to prepare the 2 week, full-time A+ course that I will delivering. Urgh! At least there's no school kids though! To appease Mark, if the Edugeek conference ever comes to Elgin, I will hold good on my Distilleries promise (or at the very least get you a tour...). So in the meantime, my replacement in the school will be Preston who has just joined us on Edugeek. Wish him luck - he's going to need it! RobC.
-
And a cornflakes box for those that p*** you off...?
-
You can find me on XFire as TheGodOfBeer (from my days as a barman). I'll be adding a few people to my xfire list soon.
-
I have to admit that this is the main benefit I can see. I don't think PC Blades could ever compete with thin clients on price, but they have the advantage (at the moment, at least) when it comes to graphics & other such things. Always good to see the range of opinions though...
-
Yay, Dreaded Taiwanese Capacitor Syndrome! Looks like you're MB could be on it's way out... Incidentally, I've noticed a few new motherboards recently that are making a point of advertising their use of Chinese capacitors instead of the Taiwanese ones.
-
Read an interesting article in the new PC Pro the other day regarding PC Blades (the PC equivalent of Blade Servers). Anyone else noticed it & got an opinion? My personal thought is that this could be a good alternative to thin-client systems in school...
-
Well, I'm chuffed. I've got myself a new job and an escape from working in schools! In roughly four weeks, I will start a job which involves lecturing in the CompTIA & Microsoft certifications, running the small business network (about 10 workstations), running the PC clinic (public pc repairs) and installing networks for small businesses. I can't wait! Of course, I will still be keeping my head in here & my temporary replacement should be on here soon so you definately haven't seen the last of me!!! :twisted: And finally I shall be free of the curse that is Symantec Web Security!!!
-
Another thing to try is putting a tick in the box for Use HTTP 1.1 through Proxy Connections in Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. This has sorted one or two problems we've had with file transfers through SWS 3.0. Rob.
-
Hey, that's not fair. If SirBendy gets a replacement for SWS/iGear then I want one too!
-
And the suggestions just keep coming! Well, I've cracked it using prnmngr.vbs & I'll just add back any LPT or USB connected printers manually (there's only a few anyway). On top of that, I've finally got my head round push installs using Lexmark's scripting system so I should soon be able to remove all of our extraneous printers & start again with just the required printers on each workstation. Although knowing my luck, it'll all go south when I try to actually run it! Cheers, RobC.
-
@Ric: Nope, tried that one too. It's entirely possible that these PCs are just doing this to annoy me. Also, I'm not running the script as a logon script. It's actually being punted out using the Ghost Console which then executes the command on each system locally (or that's the theory anyway!). I would love to use it as a logon script, but I have no control over those.
