Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ajbritton

Members
  • Posts

    1,643
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ajbritton

  1. You can certainly develop a lovely user interface with AutoIT, but you need to get you head around how it works which, depending on where you are coming from, could take a while. The last time I needed to do this in a hurry, I used the JsForm.dll component which lets you create very simple forms from VB.
  2. No, but at least it does not extract the p***
  3. Did you guys 'try' to get the top marks at Computer Savviness, or did you answer truthfully.
  4. Use this to extract just about anything!
  5. Oh dear... http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/cg.php?val=1704 Go on and beat me!
  6. http://www.nerdtests.com/mq/images/mq1.php?id=4308&m=b4d462770b59d077965735daaddd140cbf9caf98072fe83a0f Trekkie test Question 44 nearly made me wet myself!
  7. If you can script them in at logon, then why not script them out at logoff?
  8. When a file gets 'moved', what really happens is this... 1 - A new file is created in the target location 2 - Data from the source file is copied to the target file 3 - Source file is deleted You should be able to see these events in the audit logs A folder move would look more complex, depending on what was in it, but it should still be possible to track down the events. It may be that renaming a file would show as writes to the file attributes or extended attributes. The thing to do would be to set up a test environment and enable auditing. Do some file operations and see what gets logged. Trim out the auditing events you don't need to see.
  9. Windows auditing will track all this for you, but you need to enable it on PCs/drives.
  10. Surely you can still add Non-Ranger PCs to a network which had Ranger on it. You just have to manage the non-ranger PCs differently.
  11. AFAIK, Windows Domains are irrelivant when talking about WSUS. As long as the client PC can resolve the IP address for the WSUS server and has HTTP access then it should work. Your solution of an additional network card should work, or you could set up an old PC as a router, or just add another IP address to the existing card in the server (don't know if this would affect performance however).
  12. Install this on your server, use it to enable 'full logging' on the problem PCs, logon on to a PC with a problem account then use the log analysis feature to find out excatly what is going on.
  13. Sounds like a job for the = : * *S A T A B E A S T * * : =
  14. When you tried the 'banned GUIDs' fix, did you reorder the GUID as per this MS KB article?
  15. @paul - Sorry, I should have read the original post more closely. As you have found out, the UUID is not part of the network interface, but encoded on the motherboard itself. One other possibility might be to install the PCs one at a time as follows; - Install the first PC - In AD Users & Computers (or ADSIEDIT if absolutely necessary), remove the UUID entry (it's NetbootGUID in ADSIEDIT). This effectively makes the PC a non-managed PC, but once it's built then that doesn't matter. Im guessing that you would need to wait for the build to complete as the computer account is created during the non-GUI section of the install. You could kick of one install, wipe out the UUID in AD then kick off the next one. Might be worth a try...
  16. You need to get a utility from the supplier which will rewrite the UUID in the BIOS. I've had this from time to time and the supplier has usually known what to do. What make are these PCs?
  17. Version 2.0 is out now, with nicer animation under XP and support for button grouping.
  18. I do the following to control what Students see on their start menus/desktops; 1 - Students share a mandatory profile with only the standard shortcuts in the Start Menu (XP applets only) 2 - Software shortcuts are stored in the 'All Users' profile 3 - Group policy prevents students from seeing the content of the 'All Users' profile 4 - A logon script copies shortcuts from the All Users Start Menu to the Student's local Start Menu, thus making them visible for the Student for that logon session. The copy function uses a Regular Expression based filter to prevent the copying of certain shortcuts (eg Read Me, uninstall etc) 5 - When the student logs off, the local cached copy of their profile is deleted automatically courtesy of another Group Policy setting. The method means I don't need to worry about what software is where.
  19. It's nothing to do with users! It's a computer policy. Loopback just lets you apply the User Configuration settings from the policies that are applied to your computer.
  20. I don't understand AdamV's post here. The password policy applies to computers, not users.
  21. Thanks Mark, that looks interesting. I'm on the ultra basic low cost home host package which, now I look, doesn't include any form of SQL database. I can have Access via ODBC I may now have an alternate host for the service I'm trying to set up, which should remove all the limitations I've been struggling with!
  22. I've no idea if such a thing exists, but here's what I want to be able to do; 1 - Create ad-hoc databases on-line (simple lists would be a start) 2 - It should be possible to update the lists on-line 3 - It should be possible to simple queries against the lists on-line 4 - It should be possible to download individual lists as CSV/XML 5 - There needs to be user authentication to limit access 6 - Data should be stored on-line as simple text files, NOT using MySql (my superbasic web host only gives me one MySql DB and it's tiny!) Does such a thing exist or should I get out the 'PHP for dummies' and start learning? Cheers,
  23. Did you use ADMT to migrate user accounts? If you did, then the new user accounts should have the old SIDs in the SID History fields.
  24. Much less risky to install fresh copy of OS on new hardware. If you don't, you'll forever wonder if the install is really solid every time there's a problem.
  25. Just a gut feeling, but I'd agree with K-strider about the site rename. I seem to remember from an Exchange disaster recovery that it's a bit fussy about site names. The other thing you'll need to be careful about now is replication. If you configured the sites to not replicate during lessons, then I'd make sure you force replication manually. Make sure you have REPLMON to hand. It's either in the resource kit tools or the support tools pack on the 2K3 CD. You might also be needing ADSIEDIT (gulp).
×
×
  • Create New...