-
Posts
1,643 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ajbritton
-
@djm968 - What's in your permissions to prevent the owner of a file modifying the permissions on it?
-
When a user creates a file, they become the owner of it and therefore have full permissions on it, regardless of any NTFS permissions set. In theory, a user could create a file, which they would then be unable to delete, but they could still modify the permissions on it because they are the owner.
-
I understand it works with the free viewers.
-
I need an easy way to automatically backup a WiKi (DokuWiKi). I can do it from my PC using FTP to download a copy of the 'pages' folder, but it's very tedious. There are plenty of free hosting services about offering huge storage capacities and I wondered if it were possible to set something up that would either be fully automatic, or just a case of visiting a site and clicking 'backup'.
-
Yep, I had to do this recently. It's two big downloads. I could only download one at a time, but it worked OK.
-
Just because you can't ping an IP address, does NOT mean it is not in use. Of course, if that was the case the DHCP server would not be able to detect it either I guess!
-
If you configure your DHCP server to 'test' each IP before it is handed out, this should happen less often.
-
Looking for PHP blog script which does not require database
ajbritton replied to ajbritton's topic in Web Development
Very not much to see yet at http://www.ajbzone.com/blog -
Economatics Airways error during GPO MSI install
ajbritton replied to tosca925's topic in Educational Software
You'll find a explicit Deny on the ACL for that registry entry. I've not got to the bottom of this one yet, but I think it's to do with the order in which Windows Updates and Flash updates are applied. Here's what I think is happening... The version of Flash supplied with XP SP2 was considered insecure, so a Windows update was release which added the Deny entry on a couple of registry keys (including the one you mention). In my experience, once that has happened, it's quite difficult to upgrade. If the build sequence of a PC is such that a newer version of Flash player (8 or 9) goes on BEFORE the Windows Updates, then the problem does not arise. If anyone else has any info on this then I too would love to know. Even the folks at Adobe appear confused by it all (although it was a couple of months ago that I last checked there). -
Looking for PHP blog script which does not require database
ajbritton replied to ajbritton's topic in Web Development
I've gone for Pivot. It took ages to upload, but was quite easy to get working. Now I just need to remember to use it! -
Just stick a PC on the desk logged into EduGeek. What better technical info could people wish for!
-
Looking for PHP blog script which does not require database
ajbritton replied to ajbritton's topic in Web Development
Thanks for the responses, I'll have a look at them tonight. -
Unless you live/work in Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria, nor any other country to which the United States has prohibited export...
-
Bbrrrrr... A world dominated by Symantec software - that's a scary thought.
-
Why doesnt DHCP work as it should in theory?
ajbritton replied to sidewinder's topic in Wireless Networks
Wow. DHCP server would have to be stoopid to fall for that one. Surely it would just look up the MAC address and hand back the same address. -
If you need to use SINFO, do the reinstall and then let .ICT change the SA password back to whatever they need it to be.
-
What's 'SINFO'? I can't find any mention of it on SupportNet. Is it a utility that .ICT has created? Hard coding an SA password sounds even more ridiculous than than something even Capita/SIMS would do!
-
Go to the SIMS technical forum on SupportNet (support.capitaes.co.uk). If you don't have a logon, I'm pretty sure you can get one from SIMS. It's full of people who do this sort of thing all the time. It's like anything, if you do it all the time, it's easy. The key thing (obviously) is to make sure you've backed up everything as others have mentioned.
-
If you are looking at WiKis, take a look at TiddlyWiki, which is quite a clever thing. There is a version which will run on a server called MyWiKi.
-
You did say 'all feedback welcome'!!
-
Just having a listen to the demos on the MySpace site. Have you heard the Sisters of Mercy version of Knocking on heavens door? mmmmmmmm...
-
Any band doing Sweet Home Alabama gets my vote. Why no Freebird though? Is the guitar solo just too tough? I want some MP3s dammit EDIT: You might want to check your spelling of Leonard Skeonard.
-
..and what was it like to acutally, you know, really be an aspidistra??
-
Do yourself a favour and get Wise Package Studio!
