googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Actually the settings seem to have saved - Just not the address book and the password! (The password is probably more important than the address book to be honest). Messages aren't important as they are saved on Google Mail anyway.
-
I set up Outlook Express under a local workstation profile, email account, settings and address book. Thought if I copied the profile to Default User any student accounts logging in would inherit the settings set under the workstation profile (Zen profiles...) but this is not the case. It saved the Google settings but didn't save the password or address book etc. How can I make sure every user gets the settings I set under the local workstation profile? It is pretty important I get it to do this
-
I passed my 70-290 around Summer last year, and never really got stuck in to 70-291. Now I've had Novell training, I need to get the 291 out of the way ASAP otherwise my mind will get confused between the two systems... I have the MS Press book, is this enough to get through the exam or do I need more? It looks very thin, only around 300 pages! Also is there any way to tackle the course or should I just set up a new 2k3 box and start reading?
-
...Walked into work this morning and they were sat on my desk (I should note it was the beer festival Friday afternoon, and since it was being held in one of works buildings I left some stuff in our office to come back and collect later. Which I managed to do, and obviously must have just chucked my keys on the desk...Someone else was with me so I assume they locked up!) The effect of alcohol... I also found my headphones sat on my desk where they are entirely useless when I am sat on a Monday morning train with an iPod!
-
We have some online testing to do which requires an email to be sent at the end of it to the testing organizer (Learn Direct). Great, the students don't have email accounts Anyway I have set up a Google Mail account and set it up for POP and SMTP, then set it all up in Outlook Express. Obviously this address only needs to send emails to one address, it does not need to receive them or be able to send to any other addresses. Is there a way to block Outlook Express from sending to all but specified email addresses?
-
We have an issue with staff walking out of rooms and leaving projectors on. Therefore we want a way to send a signal to the projectors after x minutes of inactivity and reset this counter once activity has resumed. We can't use the built in XP power options as although this would blank the screen it would not turn off the bulb. Therefore I wondering if there was a (free!) utility which could send a signal down the VGA to power a projector down after inactivity.
-
We are evaluating this too. It really gets to you when staff go 'My machine is slow, You need to buy me a new one NOW!' when they have football related wallpapers, a BBC News ticker, MSN and loads of other junk installed. Our machines aren't great but we do try to keep them nice and maintained, a lot are Pentium 4 1.8ghz ex student machines but with 768mb RAM and my XP/Office/Groupwise staff image they run perfectly adequate! Have to laugh when we loan out a laptop with DeepFreeze on and they come back the next day complaining it is faulty as their broadband settings etc aren't saved
-
Change the IDE controllers in device manager to Standard ones before you image (Using update driver). Works 9 times out of 10 for me
-
XP workstation, want to write a batch file to copy a profile ('pcuser') to the default user profile ('Default User'). Similar to how you can go to System Properties - Advanced - User Profiles - Copy to but as an automated batch file Any help?
-
Before I started working here, there was a system in place to do with ATS / ECDL online testing. I'm trying to resolve a problem where tests upload to the archive folder on one of our servers (\\server\APPS\ecdl_V7\archive) however it is creating .ras files but not .log files. It has created them for older tests but the more recent ones nothing - Hidden files and folders are disabled. I did read the help file which suggested RAS and LOG files are actually stored on local candidate machines but this would not explain why older tests on the server have got all the files there! Anyone help? Litmus Learning are a little slow at helping out... I can probably send to atsonline.ini file if anyone wants to have a look?
-
We've got a request that says students cannot install some Visual Basic (6) controls because they don't have administrative priveleges. Is there any way to allow controls to be installed without admin rights? We don't use Active Directory by the way! (We use Novell, and in the rooms in particular, ZENWorks policies.)
-
I think we found the problem...If you click at all while the Administrator is still loading it makes the window a standard size! (i.e. it must break the macro that turns the window into a full screen). Today we got all candidates to check the window was full screen before they logged in...Which then led to loads of them asking if it was full screen since the Edexcel rules thing that comes up straight after login was in a window of its own
-
We have Promissor running quite well but on some machines it will randomly decide to not go into a full screen mode meaning the students find it really hard to do the test. If we move them to another machine and make sure the test window is full screen it is fine. Is there a permanent full screen method?
-
The second post from work I think our phone must have broken during the holidays... ...Then again since there is no power or heating in any computer rooms at the moment!!!
-
Excellent. The college I work at are implementing WiFi soon
-
Thanks for the guide - Cracked the printer open and got the suspect paper out - Works fine now surprise surprise!!
-
Our Health and Safety guy wants a job as a computer technician funnily enough
-
I've just cut myself twice on one of those sharp metal blanking plate things Add that to the 4/5 other cuts I've done in the past week and my hands are just full of cuts! Why do I have to work with such dangerous hardware
-
Some innocent IT Room user (Yea right) has stuck a piece of paper inside the HP Laserjet 2300 fan compartment meaning the fan isn't spinning correctly meaning the printer complains with a error code basically saying 'replace the fan' How do I disassemble the printer to get to the fan? Cheers
-
Does anyone know if it is possible to run Acronis Drive Clenser on mutliple hard drives at the same time? So I can build a 'drive cleanser server' and securely wipe 4 hard drives in one go (At the moment it takes 6 hours for 1, so if it could do 4 in 6 hours it would be much better) I know I'm posting this at 5:31pm but some of us don't get to go home at 5(:30) you know
-
I have a lot of email stored on my Outlook 2007 at home, and frequently find it would be useful to be able to access it from work (Possibly in a webmail style interface). Is there any software to allow me to do this? In theory it should be simple, as all the software would need to do is access the Outlook.pst file and display the results! If anyone says 'just bring your laptop to work' or 'use remote desktop connection' I will murder them
-
I'll keep it short We need to install Office 2007 onto a machine running Office 2003. Simple. Problem. We need to install 2003 AFTER 2007 due to a complicated issue Any hints or tips?
- 14 replies
-
- migration
- office 2003
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Right we're in the dog doo as if we don't get this installed soon they lose funding Anyway gonna get it done on Monday, but has any of you actually run through a test on the software? As with Zenworks we had to give the 'Everyone' group full permissions on the Promissor folder and its contents but we're going back to DeepFreeze so not sure if that is still an issue? We only had to do that as on a sample test one of the images didn't display...
-
We have the DirXperts utility for displaying a MOTD before the Novell login screen appears. Really we would like to now store the MOTD text file on a server so it can be updated centrally if required. Are there any ways to do this? Apart from running a batch file to copy a central MOTD file to the c:\ drive upon login. Cheers
-
I need to install Promissor on around 40 machines - They are heavily used and ghosting seems a bit long winded. I need to install Promissor from a network share, then set permissions on the newly created 'Promissor' folder in C:\Program Files so the Everyone local user group has full access and then create a shortcut on the desktop. Any easy way to automate at least some of this?
