googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Does anyone know if AD Tidy is still under active development? I'm trying to get my boss to purchase it but he raised a slight concern about the fact the last update was released back in June 2016!
-
The main problem at the moment is when you get to the part where you need to acquire some DDR4 memory...it ain't cheap at the moment!
-
We got some new HP laptops in and were trying to encrypt with McAfee Drive Encryption, but they wouldn't activate and kick off the encryption process. So we looked at the log file and it stated 'INCOMPATIBLE PRODUCT FOUND : BITLOCKER ACTIVATION FAILED' Hmm, that's strange we haven't enabled Bitlocker, in fact I have just totally blitzed the drive partitions with a Windows 10 1709 install from USB Turns out despite doing that Bitlocker status on C: was 'waiting for activation' so something HP have been playing with at the factory by the looks All you need to do to disable the damn thing is open a command prompt as admin, and type in the following simple command :- manage-bde c: -off It will confirm 'Decryption in progress' but give no time indication, eventually go back to Bitlocker in Windows settings and it will show 'C:BitLocker off' Hurrah!
-
Met up with a friend I had lost touch with over the years yesterday, having gone through a long period off work due to ongoing anxiety with Meningitis on top they got offered a new job on Friday at a stocks and shares type company, really inspiring how you can go through all that but still succeed in bagging a new job Asked them to pass on any tips on how to become a millionaire if they managed to work out any through the new job of course!
-
I used to think about all this many years ago, now my personal time is definitely enjoyed away from computer bits! The best training for me these days is experience, learning from each job that comes my way which is a lot more useful in my job than learning about that wonderful Contoso organization!
-
We are currently implementing NHS WiFi using PacketFence with the captive portal for guest user registration. I've been sent across some guidelines which basically state the captive portal should resemble the image shown on the following page as closely as possible (about halfway down the page) : https://digital.nhs.uk/nhs-wi-fi/how-to-set-up-nhs-wi-fi-in-GP-practices The trouble is I'm rubbish with HTML and CSS and although I can see how you can modify bits of the HTML files within PacketFence I wouldn't know where to begin! Anyone done something similar before in terms of styling the captive portal?
-
I bought a RGB gaming keyboard. It all lights up so I can get away with the excuse I'm upgrading the fairy lights
-
Looking to upgrade my Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM for a monitor of similar specification, probably around 27" this time however. A lot has changed in 5 years obviously display wise, so any recommendations? I would like to do PC gaming on it but also be able to connect up my PS4 / XBox One too - although I'm not sure how I would then get sound as I know on board speakers would be a bit rubbish presumably!
-
Noticing recently on Server 2008 R2 in particular that if I connect as an admin account, and updates have been installed (Automatically as per WSUS), the prompt will appear to 'Restart now or postpone message for X hours' which is fine, however worringly sometimes if I then just 'log off' the server (not shut down / restart) it will decide to then complete the updates and restart itself which isn't great when you have production systems running on them! Is there any way to disable this behaviour without disabling the automatic installation of updates? It should be a case of install what it can and then only when we shut down / restart do the rest not just a simple log off!
-
Had a play with the X in an Apple Store earlier. Does have a 'wow' factor coming from the 6 Plus, but the screen seems to be more narrow - although the new OLED is eye popping and makes my 6 screen look very dull and washed out! However £1,149 (256GB, not much point in going 64GB!) is a no go sadly
-
I've decided to go about it a slightly different way in that I've restored the SQL backup as of 08:00 yesterday and going to swipe any changes made since then from the current live copy of the database and add them to the end of the 08:00 backup In Excel for tbl_ImageList I now have the following set up ID ImageID 5492101 5457851 5492102 5457852 5492103 5457853 ID is what I will eventually duplicate across to ImageID, but I've left it like that for now so I know what the old number was (ImageID) vs the number I plan to assign (ID) in tbl_BCList the 'duplicates' for the different barcodes are sadly not in a particular sequence, so I have ImageID BarCode 5457851 15904 5457851 15904 5457852 287529 5457852 287529 5457853 55287528 5457853 287528 5457853 287528 5457853 287528 The 'gap' between values varies throughout the data as you can see, but I'm thinking a fancy formula could now look at both ID and ImageID with what I have set up and replace these values with my proposed (ID) numbers? The ImageID is the same value, SQL itself will add the 'ID' value when I do the import (but it just matches the ImageID) Sorry my head is starting to hurt!
-
Let me explain the system because I'm more confused myself now! Basically the software scans images and then does OCR to check for barcodes on the scans and import them in so that users can then search for documentation using barcode numbers 3 Tables tbl_ImageList - A list of images and where to find them on the server (These are all unique ID rows so just need to do a straight update on this list to match the latest available unique ID on SQL ID ImageID FileName MultiPage ScanDateTime Archived FileDate FileTime 1234567 1234567 2017\10\26\20171026075017923Y.tif Y 26/10/2017 07:50 N 26-Oct-17 07:10 tbl_BCList - A list of ImageID and the barcodes contained on it - this is the huge one as there could be several barcodes on each image (I see what you're saying, when I update the ImageID in tbl_ImageList I need to sync it with the ImageID in this table!). Ignore BCType and StnCode. ImageID BarCode BCType StnCode 1234567 287526 S OFFICE 1234567 B4RC123 tbl_NoBarcode - A list of images where the scan didn't pick a barcode up, again ImageID needs to sync with the tbl_ImageList value although no duplicates in this list, so just need to compare the 1200 or so ImageID entries in this with tbl_ImageList and update them the same ImageID StnCode ImageID StnCode 7654321 OFFICE So basically, the 2 sub tables both link to the ImageID on tbl_ImageList
-
I need to add some data lost back into a SQL database which is easy enough as it isn't a complicated database at all, and if I get the formatting right in Excel I can just copy and paste the data straight into Management Studio. Anyway the one thing I do need to change is the ID numbers of the data so that the numbers are unique (since the data loss until somebody noticed the database has been online so the previous ID numbers have been 'overwritten' by new data entries! However due to how the system works some rows use the same ID so when I'm generating the new IDs I need to replicate the duplication somehow but with the new ID! So here is a small sample of the data 5492048 5492048 5492048 5492048 5492047 5492047 5492047 5492047 5492046 5492046 5492046 5492045 5492045 5492045 5492044 5492044 5492043 5492043 5492043 5492043 and obviously I would like it to become similar to the following : 5492056 5492056 5492056 5492056 5492055 5492055 5492055 5492054 5492053 5492053 5492053 5492052 5492052 5492052 5492051 5492051 5492050 5492050 5492050 5492050 Usually I would think 'screw it' and just do it myself manually but with 91,320 rows that isn't such a tempting option!
-
My Aunt passed away recently and I've been asked to knock up a short memorial video / slideshow with some images and a Daniel O'Donnell background playing. I've managed the timings and the music pretty well, but the photos are causing me a slight headache as they're physical ones that have been scanned in so need a lot of editing, it seemed simple enough to do but I'm having a nightmare trying to crop then size them properly so they would appear in the middle of the slides and be compatible with various monitor / TV sizes at the same time without losing too much quality! Does anyone have any tips? The funeral director managed to do it but obviously want to charge through the roof to send a copy of their creation!
-
Thanks for your help but it turned out to be much more simple in that the database was actually on a test SQL server I had no idea existed Once I fired up the SQL logs on that I could see a ton of denied access messages for the service user set up to run the tasks, once added as a SQL sysadmin login data is flowing fine. Still doesn't explain why on earth the task seemed to run fine manually before when executed manually by the user account but maybe they were just getting confused - I certainly am! (But at the same time not too fussed as long as it is working!)
-
Yes, it is the same executable on both Windows 2008 and Windows 2016 servers - When run manually (log in to Windows and double click the executable) under the user account set up to run the task it runs as expected. As I say the user has relevant permissions to everything - but you have just reminded me that I forgot to point out the Scheduled Task DOES work running under the domain administrator account which suggests permissions somewhere but 0x0 is throwing me!
-
Our Information Services team have a small NET application which they can run to update some SQL reports, which when run on a server manually under a user account with the relevant admin permissions to everything (The server itself and the SQL connections) works absolutely fine, however when set up as a Scheduled Task reports a status of 0x0 to indicate success however we then look at the report and it hasn't updated! There isn't anything useful in Event Viewer either This also ran fine under 2008 Task Scheduler but not 2016 just to make things more confusing! (I tried changing the 'Configure For' option to Vista/2008 but still no joy) Any ideas? The config file is below with a few minor tweaks to server names etc
-
Maybe take some mock exams? Then at least you have an idea of what you need to focus on I liked doing the simulation stuff too as it helped me understand how everything linked together rather than a textbook but back in the day it was quite annoying as you got the books but the pre configured labs were only set up in class and not provided to take away to install at home! (Sure it has all changed now of course!) I know how you feel though, I still have no idea how I managed to scrape a pass on my Network+! Definitely more a server expert than a network expert!
-
One of our users has set up a contact group in their email account (Exchange 2010) which is made up of around 120 members, so nothing too mad. Whenever it is saved it then comes back either blank or 'This group contains more members than are supported when using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Service Pack 1 or an earlier version.' Which would make sense, apart from we're using Office 2010 everywhere to begin with! Any ideas?
-
The IDP ones are excellent, the Magicard ones we had were expensive and always seemed to require a lot of maintenance, plus were a pain to reliably have running through the network! We had a Primacy, it was problematic from Day 1, I remember spending £300 - £400 on a new head for it then shortly after it totally went bust and I had it to pieces! But the enrolments team seemed happy it was gone! My advice would also be if you can afford it purchase an additional printer identical to your production one and just keep it in the box, there is nothing worse than having an out of action ID card printer during enrolment season!!! (We used to do enrolments / ID cards during open days too so it was handy having 2 printers knocking cards out)
-
Argh I hate Server 2016! We push out updates through WSUS, and on a server it is showing the following :- Updates are available. 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4038782). 2017-08 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4035631) The trouble is...Downloading updates is stuck at 0% and has been for over 24 hours! Cleared the SoftwareDistribution folder, ran wuauclt /detectnow but still the same! Any ideas?
-
I suppose the problem for Apple is the smartphone now is getting so smart they can't really add that much more 'wow' to it - That emoji stuff last night a few years ago wouldn't even have been in the keynote, just a minor feature. My 64GB 6 Plus (not 6S) is still going fairly strong, prior to the keynote I could have flogged it for £250 - £300 vs the £700 My main gripe with the X is you pay a grand and get a tiny 64GB storage! Should have been 128GB baseline
-
I had the most surreal feeling in the world ever on Monday with it being my first year not working in education! No logins No last minute imaging No snagging issues due to rubbish contractors (weirdly the most I generally see of contractors these days is when they visit the office to borrow keys / want to remote onto a server!) ...and no restriction whatsoever in taking annual leave in September! I realise all the above makes my new job sound a walk in the park, it isn’t sadly but just the thought of everyone returning made me reflect on how much I had to juggle over summer / September!
-
Argos will be next I predict...
