Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. We have a batch file on machines that copies a selection of files (Mainly just small MS Office files) from a network drive location (i.e. I:\Folder\File.doc) to the local C:\ drive on startup. This has worked without problems for years. Today however, it gets to a 1kb text file and then just freezes. I have located this text file, it freezes my machine very badly as soon as I try to click it or open it. Can't understand what is going on as nothing has changed with it recently, it is hard to diagnose as every time I try to perform an action with it my machine starts acting very slowly! Any ideas?
  2. Does anyone here know if ATS Testing software is compatible with Windows XP SP3 and/or IE7? Thanks!
  3. Hi, We have a computer (under warranty) with a totally dead DVD drive. Since it would be a 2 minute job to swap it, does anyone have experience if Stone would just send out the part or do they always have to send out an engineer too? (I'm feeling a bit guilty as he was only here yesterday and I noticed the drive 5 minutes after he left )
  4. Is anybody from here attending the Sophos Conference at Old Trafford in July A morning with Sophos followed by lunch and a tour of Old Trafford. Then a nice afternoon out in Manchester to polish the day off with a few beers ( ). Plus some more hours to stick on my training record as a result!
  5. As in what is installed? Service Pack 2 is installed and no changes to the machines have been made since January!
  6. Right out of the blue 2 machines in one of our media suites have started looping. The thing is, if I do a patchy uninstall of the Novell client using Safe Mode (i.e. removing as much as I can without the Windows Installer service and changing NWGINA back to MSGINA in the registry) the machine runs fine. As soon as I reinstall the Novell client the looping begins again! Any ideas before I have to reimage?
  7. The idea is you see all the adverts as you scroll down and you may be tempted to click on one and provide Experts Exchange with revenue
  8. How much and where? Never seen one before! I actually found the problem is not the NICs, but it is soon as I have a PCI-E 16x GFX card in at the same time causes a resource overload. Which sucks because the onboard graphics are terrible! (Considering I would like to do some work at the physical location this becomes a bit of a problem)
  9. Anyone got this running with 4 NICs? I have the onboard one, a Intel PCI-E gigabit one, and then 2 3com 10/100 PCI ones. All picked up apart from one of the 3com cards which seemingly hasn't got any resources available so just sits there with a yellow exclamation mark under Server 2k3. Wanting to use it as a test virtualization server so having 4 hardware NICs would be very useful...
  10. Erm...How do you remove the blue plastic covering the second screw hole?
  11. Got a external Toshiba 400gb USB2 drive rigged up to a older HP Pentium 4 machine which *was* acting as a great little Ghostcast server. Until a few weeks ago. It is connected to a USB port on a PCI USB2 card, and it is picked up initally. However, if I try to access more than 1 or 2 files the drive LED turns from bright blue to bright red and it won't work again until I switch it off and back on. Seems to work fine connected to my main PC though? Any ideas?
  12. Thanks for that - It ain't a server load issue that is for sure as we currently have a jam packed exam running in the Deep Freeze classroom without a single glitch!
  13. Maybe I'll get stuck into my 70-291 course book. Then again, maybe I won't
  14. I'll try that tomorrow then, thanks Just out of interest is there a email address for Promissor support? I like to use email rather than phone as then I'm not on hold for hours and can keep a record of everything quite easily.
  15. ...Paid this Friday instead of Monday ...Big bank holiday car boot sale on Monday to spend all my pennies ...Booked all of next week off :D ...Just when we're starting to get busy busy again :D Nice to have a break when you've been working 8:30am till 8pm for the past 2 weeks!
  16. So would it be worth me trying to create a 'workstation only' Edexcel account as a Administrator on the clients (Through the XP Users applet) and seeing if we had any joy? That way the network profiles policy wouldn't kick in and we could then see if there were any problems with the testing running under 'Edexcel' as a full administrator acocunt. (Elsewhere with the Deep Freeze machines they are set up with a 'pcuser' administrator account).
  17. That would be a interesting thing to look into, I've just realized that the exams that run fine in the Deep Freeze classrooms run under a 'pcuser' account and we set the 'edexcel' account and permissions later. But I'm fairly sure I checked that yesterday and it seemed to have full permissions (Will double check though!). One candidate sat a test fine, finished before another one so we thought 'Great, we can use the working machine for the problem candidate'. Only to find the working machine had stopped working I wonder if the fact the C:\ drive profile is a 'User' rather than a 'Administrator' is causing problems.
  18. googlemad

    Accu Type

    Does anyone here use / have used some typing training software called "Accu Type"? I'm trying to work out how to deploy it as it is quite old software and requires some registration details to be entered in after initial installation.
  19. ARGH!!! It all started so well today, we got in the room and every machine was loaded up to the Promissor login prompt. Tests began, everything looked perfect. Then the problems... Images and questions not appearing unless clicking Previous and then Next (It had the skeleton layout for the question there but nothing else) Then a new error which started popping up on random user machines mid test: "Error 50011 : Could not save session state" Which kicked the user back to the login screen, and then after attempting login they either got lucky and got back into where they left off or they got the famous "Error 5209 : Cannnot load SitePersistence.dll". These problem machines then showed the 'Low disk space' message on the client machines. What is up??? Like I mentioned the tests started fine then just randomly stopped working. Luckily after much trial and error we got them all through the test but it is important this does not happen again as 3 times is taking the mick!
  20. Strange if they worked on Friday but not today - I'm sure the installation prompts you for the UNC path!
  21. Not tested that yet as I think it only came up after the candidate attempted to log in and we haven't done any tests since the disaster last week (Except technical mocks) Follow these instructions extracted from my installation guide, may help...
  22. True Crypt seemed good... ...Until I found it won't run under Limited User accounts so it is useless for the centre where the guy wants to use it
  23. Is there any free password protection/encryption util for USB pen drives? Apparently there was none supplied by the manufacturer...
  24. Well I visited the room on Friday and using the Edexcel Novell account (Since it creates a local profile of the same name) logged in to every workstation simultaneously then ran the Promissor client without any issues (Certainly up to the login screen) so it now seems fine. Will try and get some 'real mock tests' booked. The server is actually Windows 2000 Server (!) - Like I say I'm not directly involved with servers but the concurrent users must be higher than 10 due to the fact I logged in the 20 machines on Friday (Plus we have no issues with other classrooms using Deep Freeze). Just hoping everything runs to plan this time round as it is really cruel to students who have been revving up for exams to be turned away!
  25. Right. Got two demo tests, they ran fine with the entry in Zen. But then 7 ran fine yesterday too ;-) Just a question...I have limited access to the Promissor server but I did peek at the Promissor share and noticed the local server Edexcel account we have (We have a matching Edexcel account on Novell so they link together) has full share permissions but is not in the 'Security' list. Is this anything to worry about or not?
×
×
  • Create New...