-
Posts
623 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by kaphc
-
Cheers Andy, I'll get back to you.
-
Sorry Andy, but I need to know a bit more information about who is asking, and why before I will disclose anything.
-
Gone a bit mad this afternoon, will come back and do this in a bit. Watch this space @nephilim Just bear in mind I'm asking about companies because it's an easyish quickish solution rather than selling things out piecemeal. (So for anyone who is thinking about PM-ing me directly and trying to get stuff, I don't have the time to respond to everything).
-
To answer the first part of the question, we are in Derbyshire (near Junction 28 of the M1). To answer the second part, if that's near enough let me know and I will PM you if that's OK. Cheers
-
Our school is moving and we have some assets to liquidate because most of the IT equipment at the new school is being purchased and installed. Can anyone recommend any companies who will buy old but working stuff like projectors, printers, interactive whiteboards, wireless access points etc? Many thanks
-
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Thanks @tom_newton and @russdev for setting up really good demos / talks - both were very interesting and I hope will have been of use for all. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Yeah, I think so. It's hard to tell whether it was useful for everyone as we've all got different backgrounds, but it seemed to go well. And we all came away clutching Smoothwall mugs and full of choccies and bics from Impero. So on a totally shallow level I'd say yes as well -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Thanks to everyone who came today. Hope everyone enjoyed it and found it useful. We even managed to promote edugeek to a couple of new potential members! We'll definitely be doing another meetup / meeting again in October 2011. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
Hi Sean I've dropped you an e-mail, if anyone else who is attending tomorrow has any thoughts, please feel free to reply to Sean on this thread. Many thanks and see you tomorrow. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
As it's your first post on the forum, you may not have been able to send a private message until you've made a public post. I've sent you a PM just now, as this is something we may be interested in for the future, but not for tomorrow. Many thanks. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
... and Impero have very kindly accepted! And the other visitor is from Smoothwall as per the messages from @tom_newton above. So hopefully that should make for a good mixture of subjects and some interesting information. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
You're asking a bunch of ICT people how long something is going to take? Seriously, I think we'll be done by 1.30ish, though it's fairly open-ended. We have two visitors from companies coming in to talk, plus whatever topics anyone wants to discuss, plus a bit of planning for the 2011/2012 year to make sure we have some idea of what folks will find useful. -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
That's a shame ... next time! It would be good if someone from the Northants network can whizz up the M1 to us, we might be able to get a few more ideas. -
Yeah, that sounds feasible ... but I have teachers who do not want to faff around converting the mp4 files to avi. Though I might try that argument again if it means they can keep Windows Movie Maker. But I think they have been seduced by the thought of Pinnacle Studio so it might be a tough one!
-
I'd echo what ronnoco said and have a look at the folder on the server where facility is installed. (Ours is called "admin" not "facility" for some reason, so you could try looking under both names). Then check the sharing of that folder and make sure the right users have access. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
-
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
No need to apologise, I don't work at the school we are meeting at - that's fellow eduGeek-er PyROm who has kindly organised the venue. By all means come along, it looks like we could get a bit more of an agenda going as I've had another offer of a talk from someone else who looks good as well. Will PM you to discuss further - thanks! -
Derbyshire IT Technicians meeting Friday 1st July
kaphc replied to kaphc's topic in East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
I know of 5 of us so far then, that's 1 more than last time already! Have just e-mailed out to some secondary school IT mailing lists (thanks robk) and expect to get more responses from that too. -
Hi John Which version are you upgrading to? In Derbyshire, the Facility team usually send out instructions with each upgrade, which involve updating it on the server and then checking the upgrade on a client PC. I'm not at work at the moment, so can't check the filenames etc. involved, but could it be a question of access rights to the files? Where does the shared shirtcut point to? ks
-
Can you get it to import *.mp4 files though? Have fiddled around with codecs (incl, K-Lite) but without success.
-
Because, as far as I can tell, Windows 7 doesn't come with Move Maker installed. You have to access it at Sign In, which then needs a Windows Live account. Haven't got far enough into Windows Live yet, but also looks like all files are stored online which does raise interesting questions for child protection issues. Do you know another way around this then?
-
So we have the same problems as many people with the Flipshare video cameras outputting mp4 files and them not working with Windows Movie Maker. We are deploying Windows 7 in September and so will not be using the new "Windows Live Movie Maker" that comes with it, as it doesn't seem practical to get everyone creating Windows Live accounts for that. Our local secondary school ICT Technician has recommended we use Pinnacle Studio going forwards (and he used to work for Sky so I guess he knows his onions). I've had a look at the product description on line and yes, it does look all-singing, all-dancing. But I am slightly concerned it's maybe a bit too much for what we want (we are a 150-pupil primary school) and that it does need to be on a good spec PC (we'll be putting it onto Windows XP for a month before we deploy Windows 7). Has anyone got any opinions on Pinnacle Studio or an alternative Windows 7 / mp4 compatible solution? Many thanks
-
Anyone who is an ICT Technician in a primary or secondary school in Derbyshire (or the surrounding locality) is welcome to attend Derbyshire ICT Technicians Meeting on Friday 1st July 12 noon at The Meadows Community School, Highstreet, Old Whittington, Chesterfield, S41 9LG Basically, a few of us thought it would be a good idea to network once a term, exchange information and experiences, and keep up-to-date with the latest developments. We need to establish how best to do this, what speakers people would be interested in, what structure we need to have etc. so that we can set up something that's useful to us all in our jobs. There'll be no formal agenda for the rest of the meeting, and will cover whatever topics are of interest to those attending. Last time, that included IT qualifications, Windows licensing including the new EES scheme, Hyper-V, and more ... If you are planning to be there, please reply to this thread or drop me a PM so we can work out numbers to seat (and also how many refreshments to provide!) Many thanks to eduGeeker PyROm's school for hosting this event.
-
Just to say I am back on the case with this - half-term, illness and impending school move have all conspired to take up more of my time than I would have liked! Will try and get messages out asap. Can't work out for the life of my why this text is right-hand justified! Apparently it's not right-hand justified in the actual post - apologies for my confusion!
-
Many thanks, that's really helpful. Saves me going round and round like a loon, knowing I've seen something and can't find it! Spooky: just noticed that the thread was created AFTER I posted this request (though the Wkik was there!). Maybe I wasn't searching, I was predicting!
