-
Posts
623 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by kaphc
-
Marvellous - I hadn't spotted the scroll bar at the bottom and the right hand side icons. Turns out they are not plugged in. A-hunting I go!!
-
Then can I be really cheeky and ask a quick question while you're around .... with the 4 APs showing as disconnected, I want to reboot them. Is there a way of doing this individually by AP or does it have to be done in Administer -> Restart and restarting Zone Director? (I've already found the Backup option and taken a backup as well lol!)
-
Oh what a revelation! The APs listed in DHCP with reservations are all old access points. There are 6 APs listed in Zone Director with completely different IP addresses. None of them are reserved. 4 of the APs are down and other devices have "stolen" their IP addresses. I think I'm starting to identify the problem. Now to find the solutions .... Thanks for the Zone Director tips Tsonga, it's all new to me so having a heads-up is great.
-
Just started looking at the wireless setup this afternoon, and I can't ping any of the wireless access points. Not one of them. I can ping the Ruckus Zone Director and that's it (and am on a mission to try and get the username and password to this). Is there any way I can tell what access point a specific device is getting its wireless coverage from. I really do not think netbooks should be on a domain, specifically if they are on the wireless... I know what you're saying, but on the other school I support with 60 netbooks, they run on the domain just fine, with individual pupil logins, redirected My Documents and a nice clean Group Policy. I don't think there is a quick and easy solution to this ... but that's why I'm wondering if anyone's got a Group Policy template that works well with netbooks that they would care to share or whether it's cleaner to set some things up in AD as part of the user properties.
-
I will have hopefully by next week when my Blackberry gets ditched and I get something new and Android-based! I'll look out for this, thanks.
-
Will bear these in mind for the future, yeah it will always bug me that I never got to the bottom of this and if I encounter the problem another time, I'll check back for these resets.
-
Well just to round this thread off I cloned the working PC yesterday and re-imaged the non-working PC. It worked on the internet fine. I am convinced that something screwed up in the registry or some obscure settings box when I upgraded from IE6 to IE8 but I will never know what. Thanks to all who suggested diagnostics to try and pinpoint the problem - at any rate I've learned a bit more about DNS and what things to try if it happens again. It was in a Reception classroom and the teacher was so pleased she gave me a sticker :-) Gotta love my job!
-
Thanks, that gives me a good direction to go in. I'm used to running rsop to track back policy origins but never really used it as a proper diagnostic so will have a look into that. The netbooks (ordered before my time) have 1gb of RAM in which is not brill, but not bad. The ICT co-ordinator at the school assures me that the wireless has been checked and should have a good signal across the whole school building. I may end up doing my own checks into this too.
-
I'm supporting a school that has just gone from a fixed ICT suite to a couple of trolleys of netbooks. They are on a wireless network of about 54Mbps speed and have to load group policies, a desktop, a start menu and some programs on startup. The startup time is about 2 minutes to a log in box and ideally I'd like it faster. Once logging in there's about another minute to finish loading to a desktop that's ready to use. Has anyone got any templates of group policies or profiles or general tips that have worked really well with a netbooks setups that they would be willing to share? In another school, I have all the programs loaded locally on the netbooks and don't have a redirected desktop or start menu which is much faster. I don't want to dismantle all the setup in this school, which is obviously here for a reason But I would like to move to something cleaner and more streamlined. Today I've amended Group Policy to allow processing across a slow network connection and to process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed, as there's been some issues with some netbooks not picking up the new proxy settings from the default domain policy. Is there anything else like this which would help?
-
I'll give it a go when I'm in front of that machine on Wednesday. Been having a good long hard think about this one over the weekend (as you do lol!) and am thinking if I can't get this working pretty fast, I am going to reimage the PC from the one next to it that IS working. It's in a primary school where I only go 3 hours each week, so time is of the essence is getting this resolved.
-
Oh this post has been such a good one to read on a Monday morning! There is so much I don't know and so much I need to learn. Being a lone tech and now supporting 8 different primaries is a minefield - my credit is good in some, but in others I am trying to work my way through someone else's setup and it feels like I'm plaiting fog at times! My confession is the PC that I couldn't get to attach to a wireless network for 3 months and had sent away twice for maintenance. Turns out I was entering an "!" instead of a "1" in the wireless password - and it was Windows XP so I couldnt't even view it!! I always think IT is such a flipping hard profession sometimes because we spend a lot of our time dealing with problems .. sometimes there's just one problem too many!
-
-
Ok, google.co.uk resolves to an ip address when I ping it, then times out as per the screen shot. Pinging 8.8.8.8 times out completely, but then it does on the identical PC next to it as well. Pinging the proxy server (webshield.embc.uk.com) times out on both the working and non-working PC as well. I can ping both the default gateway (10.6.75.1) and the DNS server (10.6.75.11). So it seems to me that the network infrastructure is working OK and it's starting to look like something with the browser? I know it worked fine on IE6, but I wanted to get everything onto IE8 at least (which I know is out of date even now but better than IE6!). Even uninstalling IE8 and resintalling doesn't work, and neither does trying Google Chrome. I wonder if it's some kind of underlying registry setting that's snarled up in the upgrade from IE 6 to IE8.
-
pc in class 1.bmp pc in class 1.bmp These are the screenshots from ipconfig /all (taken last Wednesday which is why the dates on the DHCP lease are last week) and the proxy settings. Am about to work through the suggestions.
-
Thanks, I'll run these diagnostics when I'm next at the PC - won't be on site till next Wednesday so if I'm quiet I'm not ignoring all the good advice on here!
-
Ok, this is starting to drive me mad! Have checked the Automatically Detect Settings box and that is unticked. I ran ipconfig /all on both PCs - the one that works and the one that doesn't. The only difference was that the Node Type on the PC that can't access the internet was set to broadcast and the Node Type on the one that can was set to unknown. The DNS settings were exactly the same. I've tried renaming the non-working PC so that it's back to the old name it had on the network when it worked, which is a shot in the dark, but that had no effect.
-
Not flooding, but I got the dreaded "splashed by a car driving past" as I was walking from the car to school this morning. Meh.
-
Just a shot in the dark, but have you got ActiveX Filtering turned on in IE9? This stops Flash from working properly, plus anything else reliant on ActiveX Controls. Adobe Community: ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer 9 explains it in more detail. I had Youtube blocked on an IE9 PC the other week and it said that Flash Player was not installed when it was, which was the same issue.
-
The proxy settings are definitely there - they are pulled through from Group Policy. I'll double check the Automatically Detect Settings box when I'm next at that PC. DNS and me are not good friends ... it's probably the area of network admin I understand the least. I know it shows up in the ipconfig /all command, but no idea how to verify whether it's correct or not.
-
Hi Have a very strange problem with an ASUS EEETop PC which connects wirelessly to the network. The rest of the network connections are fine - it can print, access files etc. However, ever since I upgraded the browser from IE6 to IE8, it won't connect to the Internet. I just get the classic white screen saying cannot connect. I've tried installing Google Chrome as well, that won't connect either and brings up a message saying it can't reach the proxy server. Now, we have just changed over the proxy server in the East Midlands, but the settings are correct with the new details and the all the other PCs in the building work fine - including an identical machine next to it. I've uninstalled and resintalled IE8 again just to make sure, and have even downloaded it via Microsoft's website to make sure that we have a proper version. I cannot for the life of me work out where I can go on this one and what else I can try! Any suggestions?
-
We've used Online Casino & Online Poker Room - 888.com in the past, it's a gambling site so should be blocked, but wouldn't bring up anything offensive if the filtering wasn't working.
-
Our Admin PC is on 32-bit, which I think is so that it works with Facility. Everything else we've gone for 64-bit so far. The only upgrades we haven't done are the teacher laptops which we are looking at this term. I've been running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on them to check software and hardware compatibility as an initial guideline - some have 1Gbof RAM so will only go to 32-bit anyway!
-
Thanks, I'll give Sahara a call when I'm onsite next week at that school. We have the Clevertouch boards with the ITL TP001 USB controller. The evaluation drivers I downloaded from TouchBase were eGalax branded now and they worked fine, but they will expire after 100 clicks. The company hasn't got back to me with a price for licensing the drivers either. We have a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 laptops connecting to Clevertouch boards.
-
Quick update: I've got the Clevertouch boards interactive with drivers downloaded from Touch-Base Ltd - Universal Touch Screen and Controller Drivers. It's the 64-bit drivers version 5.0.02, called eGalax. What helped was having one board with UPDD drivers installed but not working. I was able to get the VID (0EEF) and PID (0001) from that one and identify the correct driver from TouchBase's website from there. Still not sure about the fact it's a 100-click evaluation copy only though, am awaiting news from TouchBase on this one.
-
I'm back on the case trying to get Windows 7 working with Clevertouch boards as well. I notice that the version 4.1.6.0 that you reference above is for Touch-Base UPDD drivers. They have extensive documentation about their drivers at Windows Platform Notes However the actual driver is only available as a 100-click evaluation copy and has to be purchased to work properly - but we already purchased it when we bought the whiteboards, so the school is very much against paying out any more money for new drivers at the moment. Has anyone found a way round this?
