Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

BHMS

Members
  • Posts

    153
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BHMS

  1. The problem with the block is it takes over as the primary authentication module within Moodle so no more AD/LDAP auth.
  2. If you buy an SSD for an older computer at the end of the day it's money well spent. If it doesn't give the performance benefit you want then you still have a useful SSD for elsewhere. The drives you take out of any newer machines can still be used to upgrade the older ones. Often the benefit from newer traditional drives is still noticeable when the age gap is 2+ years.
  3. I had this with an APC UPS for a while. It would bleep rapidly for about a minute every hour or so. It had lost connection to the monitoring server. I recommend checking your servers for APC software on your servers.
  4. I get 3-4 days of light use out of my HTC One S with Wifi On. 3G is off most of the time and brightness is set to the lowest. I only have to turn brightness up when it's really sunny.
  5. While I love the overall design, driver free feature and concentration on performance of the M80. How do you arrange your USB audio? I find the lack of audio ports disturbing for a school environment. USB headphones are comparatively expensive and USB dongles are too easy to break/lose/steal.
  6. Use a script to replace infringing mp3 files with rickrolls with the same file name.
  7. Use them as Linux based wireless thin clients.
  8. I've been having a problem with a one of my Ruckus 7363 APs. After a while it just refuses to allow any clients to connect on the main SSID. Other SSIDs and existing connections are fine. It tells me it doesn't need a firmware update but my other Ruckus APs have updated to a newer version and don't have the problem. Don't you hate equipment that lies to you? The company I bought these from haven't been any help and I can't seem to get the firmware from anywhere. Any chance someone could send me a recent firmware file so I can manually fix this? Thanks.
  9. I bought 14 x Thinkpad Edge 13 (AMD version) for staff here but they have refreshed the line since then. Some have had some screws fall out which I wasn't too happy with but other than that staff are really happy with them. I'd go for HP 4330s for around £500. Aluminium in the right places. Reviews say they are solid for the price. Only thing missing is ESATA or USB 3 for a fast external drive.
  10. The extra ram on the R6950 would give you ultra textures in BF3 and probably more games in the future so id go with that. 1GB isn't enough on my pretty recent 560ti purchase
  11. I have similar issues with my ncomputing multipoint server setup. Generally long startup, about 1-2mins longer on applying computer settings than Windows 7. This isn't .msi related I think it's something to do with Multipoint itself. I recommend double checking your share permissions and making sure grant user exclusive rights for folder redirections to my documents, desktop and start menus is unticked.
  12. Thanks to David Gilliard at Steljes support for providing me a fix for my Windows 7 connection problem in the OP. The 10.8 sp1 64bit patch was required to fix this for my 64bit machines. There is a new patch on website for 64 bit windows see link below: http://downloads.smarttech.com/software/smartproductdrivers/win/10_8/smartproductdrivers10_8sp1.exe Make sure that you have the latest Notebook software (10.8) before running the update. If this doesn't work, try re-mapping the following: Manual mapping for the 500 series board serial cable X64 is for 64bit windows and X86 is for 32 bit OS in device manager > driver update, please see full path below: C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\Drivers\x64\STI2303X64 C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies\Education Software\Drivers\x86\STI2303X
  13. Another vote for interparcel. My brothers ebay business uses them for bulky and international parcels.
  14. Nah it was 2nd for single page (behind IE) and far ahead on the 40tab test.
  15. BHMS

    Pc Graphics Card

    Something like an old gen HD 4770 or 8800GT will get you the equivalent of lower mid-range these days for that price. They should beat a 6570. GPU market has really started to slow down since the top end has hit thermal/power limits.
  16. We have a single wall socket panel in each room with a table infront of it. Teachers simply put the cables between the table and the wall panel to minimise the chance of tripping up on anything (if they fall they go under the table rather than where you are going to walk). If I was more OCD I would cable tie everything but I haven't ever had any complaints about it.
  17. Actually there were some huge memory improvements with version 7. Tomshardware has a regular browser roundup and it actually won best overall browser due to that. Unfortunately it still doesn't release memory from closed tabs anywhere near as fast as chrome.
  18. They are now onto a ludicrous 6 week release schedule. I saw a chart somewhere saying the first LTS release would be 7 or 8, I can't remember. They either need LTS or silent auto-update like chrome.
  19. I had this problem on my terminal server. Surprisingly checkdisk actually fixed it.
  20. BHMS

    Win 7 and SSD

    Pagefile needs to be enabled for memory dumps. On my home system I run with it disabled, never get close to filling 12gb of ram. Programs certainly run snapier with it off. BF3 loads new maps very quickly even without an SSD.
  21. I guess your proxy setup is stopping the updates from downloading but you cannot remove the need to enter admin details on non-admin accounts. Group policy deployment is your best bet to avoid all these problems. I also use a group policy registry preference to remove the auto update scheduler from starting (also saves ~2mb of ram). Delete this key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SunJavaUpdateSched
  22. Enable fast user switching so if someone locks their login other people can simply login as another user.
  23. You can pick up a dual band Apple Airport Extreme for about £100-110. It has central management via software which is handy if you buy more than 1. Good performance for consumer kit but it's certainly no Ruckus.
  24. We use some old single band apple airport extremes here. They are very good for consumer kit but have a hard 50 client cap for each access point and usually start slowing down before that.
  25. They have already re-added grouping by folders and reduced the size of the app list tiles since the developer preview so I imagine we will end up with something far more keyboard and mouse friendly by release. Still a loooong time to polish new interfaces. At least thread handling and memory footprint are both improved.
×
×
  • Create New...