Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Midget

Members
  • Posts

    1,313
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Midget

  1. I have a DAMP. DragonFly BSD Apache MySQL PHP
  2. What were you doing at 8min past 8 this morning?
  3. Apart from the fact I'm a Linux user and SysAdmin. I guess I MUST be in love with MS I am currently attempting to actually find a system that works as fluidly as Exchange, in order to allow me to remove the huge cost of separating Exchange onto it's own server (currently on the DC due to the company having SBS2003 when I arrived) without removing functionality from our staff that are highly dependant on alot of it's advanced features. I would LOVE to change over but there are far too many compromises in Zimbra and most of the other FLOSS groupware servers atm. Even linux.com agrees with me. Linux.com :: Not quite answered: Can open source messaging servers replace Microsoft Exchange? but i digress, I can only welcome a great improvement in Zimbra that will make it a viable alternative, but it just isn't quite there yet.
  4. I'm actually looking at a way of getting rid of Exchange because we are expanding and it needs to go onto it's own server and I don't want to have to spend £6500 getting it for 70 users I setup Zimbra about a year ago and used as a basic mailserver for a few dozen people which worked well, but it didnt have all the enterprise features, and my friend is doing the same as tried Zimbra last week to the same conclusion. But we were using ZimbraCE so maybe it's worth a look at the commercial product line. Although the web says Kolab is better, but I haven't tried it yet.
  5. Zimbra doesn't have a desktop client, which is a pretty bit thing and the AJAX interface is slow and stodgy. Exchange has the fast, fully useable OutlookWebAccess if you don't like Outlook. Leaving a browser window open all day is a pain, but with a client it can be minimised to the systemtray and still inform you when a new message arrives. Zimbra doesn't have the ability to share mailboxes, deligate sending to someone (send as someone else) doesn't have shared calendars, doesn't have meeting arrangements. As a basic mail server it's fine, but it will never replace exchange due to a lack of enterprise features.
  6. apart from the fact zimbra doesnt work as well as exchange? Zarafa on the other hand is looking very good (but not free)
  7. but it has a touchscreen attached to it so it isnt really competing in the same market. What about Dell's Studio Hybrid? I'm tempted. I'm also tempted by the Air out of geeky pointlessness (even more so as I have the smaller, cheaper, MSI Wind)
  8. Centos if you are an RPMlover or Debian (or Ubuntu if you need more cuddling) if you aren't. If you are a masocist you could try FreeBSD (or if you are a total masocist you can do like i've been doing and try DragonflyBSD)
  9. I'd like to do the PRINCE2 qualification at some point. Can't see the point of doing Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Qual because it's just another fad, which will probably be replaced in a few years by EITIL or some such, or people will start using some ISO documents or other.
  10. Why would you need to do an exchange course? what's so difficult about exchange? A year long nightschool Cisco course is highly recommended by me to get greater understanding of networking. The main problem with IT in the UK is CompuTeach and all the other "no experiance? need a job? retrain in IT and get a £30kpa job" companies pumping out loads of people with no knowledge leading to employers requesting 7+ years experiance and real qualifications (degree, cisco, MS, RedHat etc) instead of a CompuTeach ICanDoComputersMe Diploma.
  11. damn small linux anyone?
  12. you can get PISS beer from Australia, they also do a PISS Light [image]http://www.pi55.com/images/slabs_&_bottles.jpg[/image]
  13. I was advised by my Dad a nuclear and chemical engineer that if I couldn't get a job in the IT Sector (when I was looking for work for 8months) then go to uni and retrain in a nuclear field as there will be a raft of new jobs coming soon.
  14. NOOOooooo I was going to get a couple of these for family. In UMPC related news, the MSIWind/Advent 4211 is a fantastic piece of kit highly recommended ebayer A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ shame as standard it comes with the 3cell battery which gives 2hours charge, but the optional extra 6cell due out soon fix that to give a much more useable 4hours (or you can hack your own together to make a 9cell using an old Dell battery to give 12hours)
  15. I agree that the CCNA is the best way to regaining a network infastructure job with a company who know what it is. MCSE is another but it'd be a waste of money atm due to the new course for Vista/2008 being out soon therefore will be degraded instantly.
  16. sweet zombie jesus you didnt even tell us the recruiter was a friend so it was hardly a personal attack on your friend. I no longer work in EduIT, but in the private sector as an IT Manager, and several of us gave a poor review of that CV so my only assumption is that you have a personal gripe against toledo.
  17. That was put together by a recruiter? They'll have been setting you up as a 2nd candidate from the beginning then. I'd put it in the bin as well. The problem with jobs you are over qualified for is that they think (usually quite rightly) you'll jump ship as soon as a better job comes along.
  18. that CV needs work. Should be no longer than 2 pages, you don't need to go into so much detail about what happened between 91 and 99 as they dont really care, and you need a much better layout
  19. what about waitering? i hear theyre not getting minimum wage these days.
  20. Have you conisdered removing some of your qualifications? My friend omitted their degree to get a part time pub job. You just have to put up with appearing to be a lifetime Dolite
  21. Do you have no qualifications outside school network management? Can you program in any languages at all? Private Sector IT Agencies are great at finding you work as a Java/.net/C++ programmer but thats about it. They are useless at finding infastructure work (sysadmin ITManager etc) check the usual it advert sites and pay attention to non agency adverts and check your council sites and eTeach
  22. free esx? good find that man i may give this a play later
  23. They've recently made it much more difficult to hire a non-uk citizen, they have to prove that they tried to give the job to a uk person first. and you've picked the wrong time for bar jobs as all the students are on leave. In my last job we had a bloke from Boston doing what you were doing and I know they are always looking for data recovery engineers. So if you are coming to Wales I could give you a name and address to send your CV.
  24. i use mainly latitudes, D630 FTW as the kids may well say. Good spec options, well built and even survive being used as a club against a mugger. Bought a pile of Vostro 1000s for cheap (~£250 ex software) and they are good value for money but don't expect latest design, they're giant and chunky and have great trackpad buttons that actually click down.
  25. i use a tape style backup regieme with HDDs and a hotswap eSATA caddy. hdds for mon-thur and 4 for fridays
×
×
  • Create New...