Flatpackhamster Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Still on XP, no plans to move, the Magic Money Tree is bare. 1
Danp Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 We went to W7 everywhere apart from one suite due to our language software in Summer '11. Summer '12 we changed software and switched to W7 on all machines on an RM CC4.3 network.
Arthur Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Interesting post from a Google Chrome engineer on Windows XP... Windows XP is "past its security expiration date" If you’re still using Windows XP, please stop. Seriously, figure out how to migrate to Windows 7 or Windows 8. Or to an modern alternative platform if you don’t trust Microsoft. Don’t take my word for it. Listen to Justin Schuh, an Information Security Engineer at Google, who wrote this interesting post recently on Hacker News: I’m one of the lead devs on the Chrome Windows sandbox, and I can assure you that what we do with Vista+ on the security front is leaps and bounds ahead of what we’re stuck with on XP. DEP is unreliable and pretty worthless anyway without ASLR. You also don’t have things like SEHOP or other memory mitigations that are the first line of defense between your system and the average stale pointer exploit against WebKit. As for the sandbox itself, we run as “Untrusted” integrity level under Vista+, which buys a solid layer of defense on top the SID, rights, and job based sandboxing we do on XP. Our GPU process sandbox in particular (used for accelerated graphics) relies heavily on Vista+ integrity levels due to deficiencies in the Windows XP driver and graphics model. Then there’s the fact that XP is lacking hundreds of security fixes that Microsoft has chosen not to backport. Seriously, I’ve spent many weeks trying to wring every last bit of security I can out of XP, and I really do think that Chrome does the best anyone possibly could on that front. But in the end XP is just an OS that’s far past its security expiration date, and running it at all means taking a big risk.(Source) 1
36Degrees Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Spring is the last update that supports it. So needs doing before summer update. Do you have a link to a source to prove this? I will need it to show to SLT. Still XP / 2003 here although we have some 2008 / 2008R2 servers. It has been stable and reliable, allowing us to do exactly what we need to do which is vital due to the limited tech support personnel to machine ratio we have. I'd started to plan for upgrading about 18 months ago but for a variety of reasons that I won't go into I am no further forward.
fiza Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Do you have a link to a source to prove this? I will need it to show to SLT. Look at the SIMS Technical Roadmap published by Capita (available on Supportnet). That gives you all the info you need about timelines for support. 1
36Degrees Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Thanks. I've looked at the document I found on there from January 2012 (17910) but that indicates XP 32-bit will be supported on the Summer update. I wondered if there was a newer SIMS Technical Roadmap or if I'm reading it wrong.
synaesthesia Posted January 22, 2013 Posted January 22, 2013 Sure that was linked on Edugeek very recently (just before Christmas I think). I'd look but tackling Visio currently
dbrown Posted June 11, 2013 Posted June 11, 2013 Thought this post me be of interest here. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/113238-i-take-back-windows-me-great.html
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now