Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just looked into the StartSSL cert as recommended in the docs but they want personal address details from the person registering and won't accept only business details.

 

What other options are there?

 

Ben

Posted

 

Hello,

 

In this case we cannot accept your registration!

 

Please also see: https://www.startssl.com/?app=25#1

 

On 12/12/2012 05:19 PM, B Norcutt wrote:

I'm sorry I still do not understand as I am not going to provide my home details to anyone when I am applying for a service for my employer?

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

From: StartCom CertMaster (Zita Szimedli) [[email protected]]

Sent: 12 December 2012 15:17

To: B Norcutt

Subject: Re: StartSSL Certification Authority, 12 Dec 2012 05:12

 

 

Hello,

 

There is no problem getting certificates for almost any purpose in the Class 1 free settings. However initial registration must be made as natural person. It's up to you to decide if you want to perform a higher validation after you registered.

 

All we ask for is to subscribe with your correct address of residence.

 

On 12/12/2012 05:15 PM, B Norcutt wrote:

I'm applying for a certificate to make a website available for our company and therefore have provided you full details for them.

 

Thanks

 

Ben

 

_______________________________________

From: Iliya Brook (StartCom Ltd.) [[email protected]]

Sent: 12 December 2012 15:12

To: B Norcutt

Subject: StartSSL Certification Authority, 12 Dec 2012 05:12

 

To Ben Norcutt,

 

This electronic mail message was created by StartCom's Administration Personnel:

 

Thank you for registering with StartSSL. It seems that you haven\'t provided us your complete details. However our terms and conditions require from our subscribers to disclose the private address of residence. Please reply to this message and send us your personal details including street address of residence.

 

 

Best Regards

 

Iliya Brook

StartCom Ltd.

StartSSL™ Certification Authority

 

 

 

 

--

Regards

 

Signer: Zita Szimedli, VO

StartCom Ltd.

Twitter: Follow StartSSL™

XMPP: [email protected]

Phone: +1.213.341.0329

+1.347.534.2026

+44.20.779.34541

+972.8.634.4170

 

 

 

 

 

--

Regards

 

Signer: Zita Szimedli, VO

StartCom Ltd.

Twitter: Follow StartSSL™

XMPP: [email protected]

Phone: +1.213.341.0329

+1.347.534.2026

+44.20.779.34541

+972.8.634.4170

 

 

That's todays email conversation.

 

Ben

Posted

Didn't even get that email, just straight though. IPSCA just worked when we used those last year although not quite as user friendly.

 

I do wonder why they need personal details though, found it odd.

Posted
It'll be the same for the majority though won't it - within a few years the majority of LEA's won't give two hoots what happens in a school. I'm not actually sure if ours would say shoo - they just have so little involvement these days - pity when the IT related folks there are so damn good! (@grumbledook, that's a pint you owe me! ;) ) Besides it's barely worth it with plenty of others available.
Posted

Wonder if that's the difference in your case (i.e. the personal details insistence)

Just take a look at IPSCA instead. They're probably still 2 years. Funnily enough we got a start SSL certificate for a specific subdomain (grooviily enough you can see northants.sch.uk directly available in their drop down list!) last week then a couple of days later I unpinned something from my pinboard to find the details for a 2 year domain wide IPSCA certificate behind it!

Posted

Could well be I'll look at getting an IPSCA one.

 

Last question beforehand though I'll be setting up a subdomain so hap.waylandacademy.org.uk for it and the server hosting it is hap-server-01.domain.local which do I use for the CN on the certificate request?

 

Ta.

 

Ben

Posted
We use IPSCA here, I have used extranet.norden.lancs.sch.uk for our CN, not the internal server name, so for you I would use hap.waylandacademy.org.uk. I think that's right. It works well for us anyway.
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...