Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've been using Live Mesh for a while to sync folders between PC's on my home LAN but MS have ruined it and replaced it with Skydrive. Can anyone suggest a good fast alternative? I've tried Cubby but it seemed to be really slow and I couldn't really tell if traffic was going up to their servers and back or straight across the LAN.

 

Anyway I'm open to recommendations.

 

Ta :)

Posted
Whats wrong with Skydrive? It syncs my files from home and work.

 

 

I have about 30Gb of music and video that I keep synced between two PC's at home, Skydrive as far as I know now only lets you sync things that are in the Skydrive folder. With Mesh you could select multiple folders to sync. Am I wrong?

 

Cheers.

Posted
It does (unfortunately), but you can disable the Java browser plug-in's if you don't need those.

 

 

I'll have a play. I've removed Java from my PC's and haven't needed to install it in over three years, I'm reluctant to put it back on.

Posted
Dropbox?

I was going to suggest Dropbox initially, but then found out this. :(

 

People often misunderstand what the Dropbox LAN Sync does. The file needs to be already in the cloud before it can be synced over LAN. This means that when you add a new file, it will first get uploaded to Dropbox servers then transferred to other computers over LAN. Considering that most home connections are asynchronous (slow up, fast down) the entire processes gets bottle-necked by that slow upload rate. (Source)
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...