jtidd Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 Morning, All of a sudden our students are having issues with there profiles, in that they login a recieve a blank desktop and no programs. We rest the best part of 20-30 profiles a day. I have just run a program called win dir stat on our student profiles and seen that 80% are over 200mb, and this is caused by Temp Internet Files. How do i find out if we are using a roaming or Mandatory profile? Can anyone give me any help on how to start solving this issue Thanks in advance James
witch Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 That's spooky - I have just logged on to research that very issue. It has been happening 6 or 7 times a week for ages and I havent been able to track the problem down. But it is ramping up now and so I need a solution. I did notice that some of the profiles I was deleting were pretty big. We have roaming profiles because we found mandatory sometimes stopped programs installing - registry issues? I would love a solution to this if anyone can help
sted Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 there is a gpo to empty temp internet files everytime ie is closed (or logoff cant remember which) worse case you could add a logoff script rmdir path to temp files
ChrisMiles Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 We don't have this problem quite that often but when we do it is nearly always caused by laptops being powered off half way through the log off process out of impatience.
sted Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 found 2 gpo settings for it (not tried either but im tempted when i see profile sizes for some staff) user configuration\admin templates\windows components\internet exploder\internet control panel\advanced page\empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed [enable] & user configuration\admin templates\windows components\internet exploder\delete browsing history\delete browsing history on exit [enabled]
Chuckster Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 Could you not exclude some of the directories from roaming with your profiles? In User Config --> Admin Templates --> System --> User Profiles I have excluded the following directories from roaming with the profile: NetHood;PrintHood;Templates;Temp Typical roaming profile size for staff and student ranges between 2MB - 13MB max.
witch Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 A further complication - the profile issue may not be the problem. I have just been handed a list of 6 students whose profiles have corrupted and when I checked them, they were all between 1.5 and 3Mb so maybe that isnt the problem. I am completely at a loss with this now Different students different machines mostly the same switch but switch has been tested OK Has anyone ANY ideas?
witch Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 Has ANYONE had this issue Getting desperate now
SYNACK Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 You could try using folder redirection for stuff like appdata, that can minimise some issues with stuff snuffling back and forward.
witch Posted November 28, 2012 Posted November 28, 2012 I dont think appdata is redirected - I'll have a look, ta
jtidd Posted November 28, 2012 Author Posted November 28, 2012 ok so does Deleting Temp internet files on closing of browser have any side effects that you know of? Thanks
jtidd Posted November 28, 2012 Author Posted November 28, 2012 also getting our student profiles storing alot of TMP word files? Ideas?
Get2theChoppa Posted November 29, 2012 Posted November 29, 2012 tmp word files are related to how you have ms setup and installed on server / pcs/ laptops?.... we had same issue...bt seems to have sorted itself now, after we carried out a full install of office on each pc and then re-pasted the shortcut back into the desktop redirected folder.
witch Posted November 29, 2012 Posted November 29, 2012 I have spent practically the whole day trying to sort this out and I think it might be due to the children not logging off the netbooks properly. I can see no other reason for it. My other school is pretty much identical and it doesnt happen there - but the children are younger and perhaps supervised a bit better when finishing a lesson. The large profiles is a different thing, I think
sted Posted November 29, 2012 Posted November 29, 2012 you could use group policy loopback in merge mode on the netbooks and set a gpo to noy copy profuile back to server at logoff. though i cant remember the specifics iirc there is a gpo setting for it
sted Posted November 29, 2012 Posted November 29, 2012 infact loopback not required its a pc policy so just apply to netbooks Group Policy Setting of the Week 16
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now