enjay Posted October 23, 2012 Posted October 23, 2012 Even if the streaming could be made to work, you still have the issue that you only have one copy of the DVD therefore copyright only permits one viewing. No?
Geoff Posted October 23, 2012 Posted October 23, 2012 You know the BPI & FACT et all offer nice fat bounties for whistle blowers.
SYNACK Posted October 23, 2012 Posted October 23, 2012 You know the BPI & FACT et all offer nice fat bounties for whistle blowers. + £5000 or more
sonofsanta Posted October 23, 2012 Posted October 23, 2012 I'm sure our license to play says we can only show video for educational purposes not entertainment....so all those videos at the end of term we get asked to sort out.... You don't need any licence to show a film educationally; it's covered as an exemption under copyright law. You can show Romeo + Juliet in English whilst you're studying that book without needing anything other than a legal copy of the film. To show it in Geography at the end of term for entertainment, though, requires either the PVSL licence (major studios) or MPLC licence (smaller studios), and you cannot charge money for any showings under these licences in any way - so no free entry and selling food, for example. More info @ Copyright & Schools: photocopy, scan, screen or broadcast copyright resources in classrooms - simple advice for teachers (relevant quote: "There is an educational exemption which states that if a film is screened as part of the curriculum, a copyright licence is not required. Performing, playing or showing copyright works in a school, university or other educational establishment, for educational purposes applies if the audience is limited to teachers, pupils and others directly connected with the curriculum activities of the establishment. Examples of this are showing a 'King Lear' title as part of a Shakespeare study course.") or in the attached PDF: copyright_licensing_in_schools_jan10.pdf
LeMarchand Posted October 23, 2012 Posted October 23, 2012 You don't need any licence to show a film educationally Therein lies the rub: this particular use is pretty dubious as education. Given the criticism that was levelled at the film for racial stereotyping (didn't they have to change the lyrics to one of the songs after complaints?) I'm surprised that it's now considered a Muslim tradition.
soveryapt Posted October 24, 2012 Author Posted October 24, 2012 Ah well .. up shot of all this .. I'm being the no guy on this occasion, but at least I've looked into the options ..
Ex-MGSTech Posted October 24, 2012 Posted October 24, 2012 Sorted, 13 copies starting at £5.80 each Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Aladdin (Musical Masterpiece Edition) [DVD] 1
soveryapt Posted October 24, 2012 Author Posted October 24, 2012 Sorted, 13 copies starting at £5.80 each Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Aladdin (Musical Masterpiece Edition) [DVD] I think he's busy gathering copies of it from friends / family etc to do just that .. so I'll leave him to it .. he looked so shocked that I wasn't willing to break the law though, even for Eid .. That's like saying "well, I robbed the bank, but it's for Jesus, so it's ok, it's not technically breaking the law now you see" lol ..
enjay Posted October 24, 2012 Posted October 24, 2012 he looked so shocked that I wasn't willing to break the law though, even for Eid .. That's like saying "well, I robbed the bank, but it's for Jesus, so it's ok, it's not technically breaking the law now you see" lol .. We're a Catholic school, and I get similar sometimes when I'm not willing to break copyright. "But it is a CD of hymns, why can't you copy it?". Personally, I think that as a faith-based organisation, we should strive even harder to uphold the law, not use God as a way of salving our consciences for breaking the law...
3s-gtech Posted October 24, 2012 Posted October 24, 2012 But Jesus Saves...his DVDs to a shared area. Oh well, I'm going to burn anyway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now