d1k Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 (edited) So I'm trying to consolidate my home network running all on one ESXi host. Two onboard nvidia nforce gb nic's show up just fine in the network management setup after an install but I can't get any other NIC's to show up, I need a total of 4. I've tried multiple vendors of 10/100 cards and gigabit cards and none show up in the management network setup except the two onboard. I've tried a fresh install as well as putting the cards in after a fresh install, nothing works. Now i've read the compatibility list from VMware, but then I've read other lists and posts on forums saying the cards actually do work people have had no issues with them. I've tried the following 10/100; 3com 905-tx, 905b-tx, 905c-tx. And D-Link (with realtek chipset) cards, trendnet teg-pcitx cards, and other. My question is do only 2 cards show up in the management network setup or should all 4 show up? Where can I check to see if all 4 cards are recognized if the above question is yes? Can we install vendor supplied drivers into esxi as I'm told esxi is a modded 2.4 kernel..? What the hell am I doing wrong? Thanks all Edited October 16, 2012 by d1k
Davit2005 Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 I normally use Intel but you should be able to check VMWare hardware compatability list. I've just installed Intel Gigabit PRO/1000CT in a HP N40L MicroServer and also installed HP G6 Single Port NC112T PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter in a N36L without issues
Duke Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 I normally use Intel but you should be able to check VMWare hardware compatability list. Always used Intel PRO NICs with no issues either. I have a couple of HP dev boxes running ESXi 4.0 with Intel PRO/1000 GT desktop adapters. Chris
twin--turbo Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 You want to be in the vsphere client, on the host under configuration, networking. You will need to add a new virtual switch connected to the NIC. Rob
twin--turbo Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 management network is different to the actual machine networking, although it can be on the same subnet and be used as the network for guests. Rob
twin--turbo Posted October 16, 2012 Posted October 16, 2012 My Machine is showing 1 E1000 intel and two broadcom, most ethernet adapters are supported. Rob
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now