Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am trying to set up Endian Firewall on a test machine, witha view to using it in the very near future. I have installed it and gone through the network setup and entered all our internet connection details.

 

The main "System" page within Endian says Connected with a green box, which I believe means it has a connection with the internet. I have entered what I beleive to be the correct proxy settings on the conneted laptop, but when I try and access any webpage Explorer just sits there and will then give me the Page Cannot be Displayed. I have seen (before the weekend) the Endian Firewall Timeout page occasionally.

 

I am new to this so bare with me! Does anyone have any obvious ideas, common things that I have forgot?

Posted

I have now got this working. Needed to enter proxy details in Upstram proxy.

 

We are now looking at using Endian, and are looking at servers. Could anyone recommend a good server spec that Endian will run on? Will Endain work happily with dual/quad core processors?

Posted

@Craig_W: That kid of depends on your circumstances. As the number of users increases you will need more power and more RAM. Hard disk space depends upon how big you want your web cache to be.

 

AFAIK there isn't really anything that Endian won't run on (although some of the super dooper bleeding edge network and graphics cards can cause problems... along with some SATA and SCSI controllers).

 

If you don't mind second hand... speak to ICT Direct about the 1u IBM Xeon servers that they have in at the moment - VERY CHEAP!

Guest Guest
Posted

Put it this way, we run cachepilot which is a very sloppy program on a SFF 2ghz celeron with 1gb ram, serving 300 clients.

 

 

Id be happy building my own box with say a Opteron 170, 2gb ram, and a HD of size depending on needs. You dont need a "server"

The above could be done for £300 easy.

Guest Guest
Posted

^ yep. Ive had endian running on a 1ghz celeron with 192mb ram serving 5 clients in my home. Doesnt sound like much but i garrenty the traffic that goes through my router trumps even large bussiness! ;) :lol:

 

Seriously though, it ran perfectly for nearly a year when i decided to make the change to smoothwall.

 

 

BTW you wanna have a look at smoothwall community. Endians great for getting up and running really easily, but SW far exeeds it in everything else (not that SWs hard to get up and running but it goes into alot more depth should you want to). For a school the DansGuardian add on is reason enough to go for it over endian.

Posted
Thanks for the replies. I will have a look round and see what machines we could use. Might stick with the Dell machine I used to get the thing working.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Posted

^ Do you not use it for cacheing? Or not much?

 

Only i thought that ram usage should always be close to 100%, or else its either using its swapfile or its not cacheing as much as it could/should.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...