Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

hi all

 

today i received a threatening phone call and so i need to know is there any way i can record phone calls on my laptop :)

 

for then i can take it to the police. :D

Posted
hi all

 

today i received a threatening phone call and so i need to know is there any way i can record phone calls on my laptop )

 

for then i can take it to the police. D

If you speak to the police they can take it up with the phone company etc and run back traces. It is not your duty yo record phone calls and even if you did 1) you would have to inform the caller you were doing so and 2) you are more than likely going to need some very expensive hardware.

 

Leave it to the police, it's there job.

Posted

You are free to record anything from your own communication devices without any permissions at all.

 

However, you cannot play back, or allowed to be played back, that recording to a third party without the consent of any party on that recording.

 

:)

Posted
You are free to record anything from your own communication devices without any permissions at all.

 

However, you cannot play back, or allowed to be played back, that recording to a third party without the consent of any party on that recording.

 

)

It may be an idea to get that in writing before anything has begun, just to keep all parties involved covered.
Posted
Remember that phone tap evidence isn't acceptable in court at the moment, even in terrorist cases, which is what the government and the security services are all fighting about.
Posted
Remember that phone tap evidence isn't acceptable in court at the moment, even in terrorist cases, which is what the government and the security services are all fighting about.
So i guess if they won't accept it even over an AOT, then they probably wont accept it for a dodgy phone call!
Posted
Just to clarify - phonetap's can be used on personal phone equipment but can only be played back by the owner or the police. They can't be directly used as evidence in a court case, but can be used as a way of finding out who the perp was.
Posted

My understanding was that you are allowed to record any phone conversation as long as one of the parties was aware this happens.

 

But to be used in a court of law as evidence both parties have to be aware and consent to it - which kind of ties in with what Alan-d said but I was not aware you could not play it back to a third party.

 

I think t is all to do with not being expected to say anything that will incriminate yourself.

Posted
My understanding was that you are allowed to record any phone conversation as long as one of the parties was aware this happens.

 

But to be used in a court of law as evidence both parties have to be aware and consent to it - which kind of ties in with what Alan-d said but I was not aware you could not play it back to a third party.

 

I think t is all to do with not being expected to say anything that will incriminate yourself.

Thats my point, if the person who is making the dodgy phone calls knows that they are being recorded, then he's not going to make dodgy phone calls.
Posted

@Acrobson - then perhaps that is the trick, just play a message telling people the phone call will be recorded and it will stop it happening - which I guess is ultimately the point, rather than catching them.

 

I wonder if it will work with double glazing salesman too?

Posted
@Acrobson - then perhaps that is the trick, just play a message telling people the phone call will be recorded and it will stop it happening - which I guess is ultimately the point, rather than catching them.

 

I wonder if it will work with double glazing salesman too?

Good point, not only double glazing salesmen but women too and ICT vendors!
Posted
not only double glazing salesmen but women too

 

I do not need protection against women phoning me - I have a wife for that!

Posted
I do not need protection against women phoning me - I have a wife for that!
I meant doubleglazing saleswomen. I guess the wife woman filtering isn't an optional extra then?!?!

 

You could always use a NAT on her and divert her to a different number!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...