HCC Posted September 11, 2012 Posted September 11, 2012 Hi all, Since coming back there now seems to be a weird problem with office 2007 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Access) Users can open Word documents from network drives, or create a new document, when they press the save button(after successfuly browsing their h:) the dialog box greys and an a (Not responding) message appears on the title. The computer is still usable for other things and if they leave the computer alone, the document is eventually (After 5 mins or more) saved. Not ideal when they all come to save at the end of a lesson. It is only office that is affected, any other program saves without delay. It must of been something that changed over the summer that caused it, but I'm not sure what. File servers are the same (Running 2008 R2), sofware and image are the same... I had a very similar problem when I was setting up a new Windows 7 suite, but this was resolved by setting the Web Client service to automatic. The computers that are affected already have this service automatic and running, and are XP OS. Staff, and administrators do not have this save problem using the same machine that would cause a student a problem. I'm currenty thinking it could be: Network traffic related, but I have no way of measuring how the network is performing, I installed wireshark but its all gibberish to me. Our switches are mainly 3com 4400s Printer related - No printers have changed, but I've seen office do stupid things if it's waiting for a printer to respond. DFS related - Our file shares use DFS Windows Update related Has anyone else had this, and solved it, or can suggest anything else to try?
mitchd123 Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 (edited) Hi all, Since coming back there now seems to be a weird problem with office 2007 apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Access) Users can open Word documents from network drives, or create a new document, when they press the save button(after successfuly browsing their h:) the dialog box greys and an a (Not responding) message appears on the title. The computer is still usable for other things and if they leave the computer alone, the document is eventually (After 5 mins or more) saved. Not ideal when they all come to save at the end of a lesson. It is only office that is affected, any other program saves without delay. It must of been something that changed over the summer that caused it, but I'm not sure what. File servers are the same (Running 2008 R2), sofware and image are the same... I had a very similar problem when I was setting up a new Windows 7 suite, but this was resolved by setting the Web Client service to automatic. The computers that are affected already have this service automatic and running, and are XP OS. Staff, and administrators do not have this save problem using the same machine that would cause a student a problem. I'm currenty thinking it could be: Network traffic related, but I have no way of measuring how the network is performing, I installed wireshark but its all gibberish to me. Our switches are mainly 3com 4400s Printer related - No printers have changed, but I've seen office do stupid things if it's waiting for a printer to respond. DFS related - Our file shares use DFS Windows Update related Has anyone else had this, and solved it, or can suggest anything else to try? Did you ever come up with a solution? I have been suffering from this issue for about 18 months.....I think it's a combination of the older version of office being 32 bit, and windows 7 being 64 bit....as well as network browsing issues. Edit: I did find this Microsoft post saying the issue is related to mapped drives. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313937 Edited October 10, 2012 by mitchd123 found answer
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now