plexer Posted June 6, 2007 Posted June 6, 2007 I've just bought a Dell Poweredge 840 with a SAS 5/IR controller to use with vmware server for testing purposes. What would be the best host OS to use? The setup cd can set it up for red hat, suse and windows 2000/2003. I initially thought that XP Pro would be ok and a lighter install than server 2003 but there doesn't appear to be a driver available for the disk controller for XP anyway. However while typing this it appears that XP Pro can use the 2000 server driver I had previously tried the 2003 one and it didn't load. Ben
Geoff Posted June 6, 2007 Posted June 6, 2007 You'll get more bang for your buck with a Linux host OS. Personally I'd use Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
plexer Posted June 6, 2007 Author Posted June 6, 2007 Well the XP Pro install didn't work, it formatted the drive then requested I inserted the disk for the controller and wouldn't read it from the usb floppy. Just trying to see if 6.06 LTS supports the SAS 5/ir controller. Ben
pete Posted June 6, 2007 Posted June 6, 2007 I have an PE860 using that controller under 6.06LTS without any faffing about. lspci detects it as 02:08.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068 PCI-X Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 01)
Geoff Posted June 6, 2007 Posted June 6, 2007 As with most dell kit, the SAS 5/ir is actually a rebranded LSI Logic SAS 3000 Series Controller. I believe the Linux Fusions MPT SAS driver supports this hardware.
plexer Posted June 7, 2007 Author Posted June 7, 2007 I tried 6.06 LTS on my PE840 and it just stuck after one of the steps to do with partitioning even though it appeared to have detected the controller and the array. However 7.04 Feisty does install fine on it. Just one question though as it's main purpose is going to be a vmware server should I set it up as a lamp server or not select the lamp install? Ben
webman Posted June 7, 2007 Posted June 7, 2007 You don't need the LAMP option, that's just additional Apache and MySQL servies to be running which will be unnecessary.
tom_newton Posted June 7, 2007 Posted June 7, 2007 I'd go for rathed over ubunt just because its easier to install vmware server, as there are no debs for ubuntu afaik
CyberNerd Posted June 7, 2007 Posted June 7, 2007 I'd go for rathed over ubunt just because its easier to install vmware server, as there are no debs for ubuntu afaik It's in the commercial feisty repository: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu feisty-commercial main
plexer Posted June 7, 2007 Author Posted June 7, 2007 It is indeed and that's where I'm going to install it from Ben
plexer Posted June 8, 2007 Author Posted June 8, 2007 Scrap that last thought. I tried it using the debs in the repository but wasn't very successful so I went back to following the guide from: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty_fawn_vmware_server_howto What I did however was ignore first 2 instructions and subsitituted them with: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` --fix-missing and sudo apt-get install build-essential Then followed the rest of the guide for a working ubuntu vmware server install Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now