Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have an Ubuntu Server which started as a test server sitting on a Dell Optiplex 760. We installed XIBO on it and now it has taken off with staff so much that we cant remove it as XIBO is used extensively. I need to use the 760 as a desktop PC again. What I would like to do is move the whole install onto an old Cachepilot box we have.

 

Will that be possible? If not can I build up the new server and then transfer all the XIBO content onto it?

I dont really want to start from scratch and I dont think the users want to lose all their templates and resources they have put onto XIBO.

Posted

The easiest way to move a ubuntu install is:

 

1) copy config files (usually in /etc /usr/local/etc and /opt )

2) get list of installed packages using " dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.txt "

3) install same version of ubuntu on target machine

4) update then copy installed-packages.txt to target machine

5) run "dpkg --set-selections < installed-packages.txt"

6) copy the /etc config files back

7) install any other software (xibo) the config files should be present

 

I've recovered a server like this in less than an hour.

Posted
As above, or see if you can convert it to a VM from the running machine, and pull it onto a virtual host. Not much easier than above, and you'll need a VT capable host.
Posted

@CyberNerd - Will give that a go. I am guessing I can keep my existing Server going whilst I do all this? Users wont know?

@3s-gtech - We use Hyper-V and I tried hosting an Ubuntu VM on it before but you cant remote to it. You have to be at the console of the Hyper-V host to actually interact with it. It wont recognise Mouse and Keyboard inputs from a remote session. VM would have been my prefered option.

Posted
@CyberNerd - Will give that a go. I am guessing I can keep my existing Server going whilst I do all this? Users wont know?

Yes, until the point when the new server has the IP address of the old server (copying /etc/network/interfaces and restarting the NIC)

Posted
We use Hyper-V and I tried hosting an Ubuntu VM on it before but you cant remote to it. You have to be at the console of the Hyper-V host to actually interact with it. It wont recognise Mouse and Keyboard inputs from a remote session. VM would have been my prefered option.

 

Ah, see my Xibo is hosted on Debian - there is no remoting to it as such, just SSH - which is plenty to keep it going. Do you need to be able to get at anything other than the terminal?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...