Gongalong Posted December 9, 2011 Posted December 9, 2011 Hi folks, As per a previous thread I've setup WSUS with a GPO to push out updates. At the moment I have only set this up to update staff PCs. I have enabled a number of GPO settings, as per Microsoft's guide, and following a smaller test it does seem to be working in that it's at least trying to push out updates. What I want though is for users not to be bothered by notifications about updates being available and/or to install them, and I've already noticed on several XP PCs at least that they are getting these notifications. Is anyone aware of a GPO setting or settings that will make this process transparent to the user? I've had a look through and cannot find anything relevant. TIA
ricki Posted December 9, 2011 Posted December 9, 2011 Hi Have a look here. Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy We schedule the updates at dinner with no reboot activated. This downloads the updates and installs them when schedlued and tries not to reboot the machine unless its essential. Richard 1
Gongalong Posted December 13, 2011 Author Posted December 13, 2011 We're using WSUS 3.0 SP2, but I'm following the guide within that same area. The GPO items that are enabled are: Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation Configure Automatic Updates (set to auto download and install every day at 3pm now, just to ensure updates are getting onto these PCs and being processed) Enable client-side targeting (this is working, as PCs are appearing in the correct group within WSUS) No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations (set to 60 minutes, to avoid the PC getting hammered at boot and/or registration/start of lesson) Specify intranet Microsoft update service location (pointed to the WSUS server) Turn on Software Notifications is disabled It seems that the XP clients are the ones prompting that updates are there, rather than just silently installing. Win 7 clients seem to be behaving as expected.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now