Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Does anyone know how to alter the settings for this?

 

It asked some questions initially, but now I don't seem to be able to choose any settings :o(.

 

What I'd particularly like to do is to revert the experience so that if I press the Win key it uses the appropriate shortcut on the machine I'm connected to rather than on my own machine. There doesn't seem to be anything appropriate in the settings/preferences for Remote Desktop that I can see.

 

Less importantly "add a favourite" doesn't appear to do anything, though any connection I make seems to get added by default, and if I try to edit a favourite a sidebar briefly appears from the right labelled "Edit Settings" with a "Use Global Settings" slider set on. It disappears as too quickly for me to use it, though.

Posted

In Windows XP/Vista/7 Remote Desktop settings are saved in a file called Default.rdp and this is normally found in the root of Documents.

 

You could try deleting/renaming this file and then restart Remote Desktop.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
In Windows XP/Vista/7 Remote Desktop settings are saved in a file called Default.rdp and this is normally found in the root of Documents.

 

You could try deleting/renaming this file and then restart Remote Desktop.

 

Alas, I couldn't find it - even by searching for "default".

 

I had a nightmare with RDP for Windows 8 using MetroUI

It only allows 1 session at a time an getting the application/settings bar up isn't easy either...

 

I wrote a brief blog posts here -> Metro UI and Remote Desktop - Gatt's Ramblings

 

Cheers! At least there's a way around it. Looks like the rdp tile is going back to the end.

Posted (edited)
Well it is a hidden file if this helps, unless Microsoft have completely changed how Remote Desktop works in Windows 8?

 

I was using the MetroUI to get in, so maybe it's in some Metro folder? Once I'd used mstsc.exe there was one created exactly where you said.

 

I'll have to see if there's a way of adding a batch file as a Metro tile...

Edited by LeMarchand
Typo
Posted

Don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but there's an easy-to-follow tutorial on adding your own shortcuts to Metro here.

 

Adding a shortcut to mstsc.exe seemed to assign the expected icon automatically. (Plus I now have shutdown/reboot tiles!)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...