Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi folks,

 

I'm trying to deploy Adobe Reader 10.1.1 using GPO. This has worked well with Flash, but is proving to be far less easy with Reader.

 

I have applied for and received authorisation from Adobe to distribute Reader, and via their provided link got an EXE file for distribution. Except this is of no use because I need to distribute an MSI.

 

Their administration guide states that I need to create an AIP, but it seems that I can only do that from an MSI as well (see section 3.2 of their guide).

 

Other guides have suggested I can just download an MSI directly from Adobe's FTP site, and this guide in particular gives details on how to patch 10.1.0 to create a suitable 10.1.1 install. Although Adobe's FTP site already has an MSI version for 10.1.1.

 

The practical upshot though is if I try and attach any of the aforementioned MSI's into the GPO (via I get the error: Add operation failed. Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure the package is correct.

 

Can anyone advise what I'm missing?

 

TIA

Posted

See section 1.3.7.2 in the Enterprise Administration Guide. Basically, you have to extract the files from the EXE.

 

You need to run a command such as the one below:

 

AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe -sfx_ne -sfx_o"\Extract

Posted
See section 1.3.7.2 in the Enterprise Administration Guide. Basically, you have to extract the files from the EXE.

 

You need to run a command such as the one below:

 

AdbeRdr1001_en_US.exe -sfx_ne -sfx_o"\Extract

 

I've done this, and it's created an AcroRead.MSI, among other files, but I still get that same error when I try and add the MSI package under Policies > Software Settings > Software installation.

 

Have a look at post 2 here: Adobe Forums: Where do I get the free version of Adobe Reader 10.1.1 MSI file?

 

Gives you direct links to obtain he MSI and MSP.

 

If I try and create an AIP using the above extracted MSI I still get the same error when trying to add it to the GPO.

 

Any more ideas?

Posted
Are you using the Adobe Customisation Wizard? Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows : Adobe Customization Wizard X

I've downloaded it, but not entirely clear on what I should be doing with it... :confused:

There is no official 10.1.1 MSI, only 10.1. The Adobe update tool will then download the 10.1.1 update.

I've tried the 10.1.0 MSI, from Adobe's FTP, with the GPO and still get exactly the same error.

 

Flash was so easy, but Reader is proving to be a nightmare...

Posted
have you tried it on a diferent pc may be that windows installer is stuffed on that pc or something else is installing etc
Posted

Ok, there's a few things to check:

 

1. Is there space on the drive where the SYSVOL is?

2. Does the computer you're running GPMC from have permissions/ability to access the SYSVOL share?

3. Does the machine you're running this on already have that program installed? If it does, try removing it (and any other versions of it).

4. How long is the share path where you've got the MSI file? Try reducing the path length (ie. shorten folder names and reduce the msi file name down to something like adbe.msi and the mst to adbe.mst or something). Long paths can break GPOs.

5. Does the account you're building the GPO with have a home drive set in their account? If not, try creating one. This is an issue I have seen reported before.

 

Hope these might help!

Posted

sted: will try that.

 

localzuk: 1. There's 20GB free.

2. Yep, I'm running directly from the DC.

3. It does have it installed, so will try that.

4. Pretty short. Only around 15-20 characters for the UNC path. I've run a flash update from there with a much longer filename.

5. It doesn't, as I'm applying to a PC, but I've been able to add the flash MSI within this same GPO (and it deployed).

 

My guess is there's something odd about the MSI that the GPO doesn't like, hence the error.

Posted
The thing is, I've deployed direct from every MSI that they've issued in the last 12 months, and they all just worked, including the latest ones they have there now. So, it all points to it being something on your set up it doesn't like (well, to me it does anyway).
Posted
The thing is, I've deployed direct from every MSI that they've issued in the last 12 months, and they all just worked, including the latest ones they have there now.

Same here. I've never had a problem with deploying any of the Adobe Reader or Flash Player MSIs.

 

Another thing that might be worth trying is enabling Windows Installer logging.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...