Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Digitalising Textbooks


Recommended Posts

Posted

I've got no idea where this shoud go, so posted here.

 

We're going down the 1 to 1 route, and the Head feels that the tablets/netbooks we buy are an ideal replacement for textbooks. I'm trying to find out some more information about the legal ramifications of digitalising our textbooks.

 

Has anyone else looked into this? As far as I can tell from several websites, the UK Copyright laws allow "Fair Use" for Educational use, but it looks like "format shifting" a whole textbook probably violates the copyright of the typography. None of our textbooks are older then 50 years (well i've not chatted to the latin teacher yet....) so I doubt there will be any books that are out of copyright.

 

If anyone else has looked into it, has anyone had a successfull discussion with a publisher?

Posted

Our VI (Visually Impairment) unit at our LA are currently seeking electronic copies of most of the text books we use in school to enable students to view on laptops / larger fonts etc.

 

Publishers such as Heinemann / Pearsons etc now appear to offer this service but I am not sure of the cost as the LA are bearing all costs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...