cooper Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 Hi guys, After some advice on the best way to have our workstations set up. We are running windows XP and will be getting new workstations soon and want to make sure im setting these up the best way. Install XP pro Office 2003 Smart Board McAffee Adobe Reader plus other Software that cant run from an application server. Then take an image Image the others Put these on the domain Windows updates via WSUS I always get in a mess with with Java Flash Player Shockwave When should these be installed is it best to do this via msi or when im setting up the inital workstation. Also does anyone have a list of essential apps like this that i need to install and is there a place that i can download all these from one place. Thanks Cooper
sidewinder Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 Yeah, I put all 'browser addins' on base images and work from there Java works ok as an MSI but the other require tinkering and Ive had fully working MSI's suddenly stop working for Flash Got no problem deploying software via MSI but I like to have 'essential' stuff on all images
Geoff Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 These days Java/Flash/Shockwave updates to often to be managed via images IMHO. I really think they need to be deployed via MSI/GPO/whatever.
nicholab Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 You may not what the Smartboard software in you image as it changes every five minutes. But I suppose that is going to happen anyway with your image as MS updates do the same. How often will you update the image?
cooper Posted April 26, 2007 Author Posted April 26, 2007 Thanks for the replys Im looking at an annual re-image every summer term. After having a think about this the less msi's the better. Has anyone got a list off essential apps they put on there images. Wanting to organise myself with a check list. Cooper
sidewinder Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 These days Java/Flash/Shockwave updates to often to be managed via images IMHO. I really think they need to be deployed via MSI/GPO/whatever. I agree, but because of the fact there are so many updates, getting an MSI working each time there is an update just seems like a nightmare to me, especially when companies seem to want to make it continually more difficult to make the software deployable Maybe its easier if you have some packaging software or something, but we dont In the few hours it would take me to get some MSI's working, I could reimage a whole room with an image with just that update on it. Obviously that isnt realistically what I do, but we do image rooms quite often
sidewinder Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 Thanks for the replys Im looking at an annual re-image every summer term. After having a think about this the less msi's the better. Has anyone got a list off essential apps they put on there images. Wanting to organise myself with a check list. Cooper Essentials I put on my images: Office 2003 Sp2 Net Framework 1+2 Latest Flash Latest Shockwave Quicktime 7.1 Realplayer alternative WMP 11 Latest Java Adobe Reader 8
cooper Posted April 26, 2007 Author Posted April 26, 2007 Net Framework good shout I also put VLC on.
Geoff Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 I don't install Acrobat. I use Foxit. We don't bother with patches (Just put SP2 on) + NET Framework either. Leave that to WSUS to sort out.
tosca925 Posted April 26, 2007 Posted April 26, 2007 make your image as complete as possible. Could not agree more.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now