Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Gaining NTFS permissions on files without admin rights?


Recommended Posts

Posted

No idea if this is possible, I've come across a problem where some of our older files/folders don't have ANYONE set with rights to change permissions etc, the most anyone has is modify and that person is just a normal user.

 

I think it's a problem I inherited here and that the admin rights for these files are only available to the old domain (well and truely scrapped) domain admins. The problem is that I want to get these files security settings tweaked, but can't.

 

I can't change permissions at all but there is the possibility of moving them onto a FAT drive, I don't suppose that'd remove this problem?

 

*grasps at straws*

Posted

Have you taken ownership of the file / folders in question?

 

That would be the way to change the permissions on the old files if you cant normally.

 

Cheers

Nath

Posted

I'm pretty sure I tried that yesterday and it didn't work, shall give it ago again though Nathan, cheers.

 

Having a brain fart day today!

Posted

That appears to have sorted it Nathan, gold star and a smiley face for online support efforts :-D

 

Pretty sure I tried it yesterday but I've obviously not been sending it down to child objects or something equally as stupid!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...