sidewinder Posted September 26, 2011 Posted September 26, 2011 We've got an ancient amp at our sports ground, which in the long term will be replaced, but in the short term needs to be able to provide sound for TV this weekend. The inputs on the amp are 5 pin DIN, with the pins at 240 degrees, like this - File:DIN-5c Diagram.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I've already bought a connector with the pins at 180 degrees, not realising there was different types. I can find some connectors, but getting one delivered and wired by saturday may be pushing it. So ideally I'm looking for a 5 pin din to RCA/3.5mm jack adapter. I'll probably go to Maplin tomorrow to see what they have (website is not very specific) but if anyone can find one I can order/buy in a shop I'd be eternally grateful! Or maybe someone has a connector they can sell/lend me??
john Posted September 26, 2011 Posted September 26, 2011 Maybe worth a contact to my local AV guy, he is a fountain of all things like this and could maybe make you one and post it to you before Saturday? I use Audioworks - Audioworks - Audio and Audio Visual - PA Systems - Induction Loop Systems - Installation - Lancaster very good people and well recommended, Martin is the bloke you need and you can email him on martin@.... 1
LosOjos Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 If you're struggling to source one (I tried recently as part of a Mega Drive hack...) you could take the cheap option that I did and use some needle nose pliers to bend the pins to shape... not ideal I know, but it does the job... 1
sdc Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 Is this any use? Pack of 2 Standard 5 Pin Din Plug Audio Connector 240 | eBay 1
sidewinder Posted September 27, 2011 Author Posted September 27, 2011 (edited) If you're struggling to source one (I tried recently as part of a Mega Drive hack...) you could take the cheap option that I did and use some needle nose pliers to bend the pins to shape... not ideal I know, but it does the job... I thought about that, but assumed it might damage the socket on the amp. Its an option as a last resort though. I might be ok now...there is already an adapter to a single RCA socket which is used for some microphones, so coupled with an RCA extension lead that should work (albeit only mono). If that doesn't work I'll have to buy a connector or contact the guy John mentioned One question, assuming my method does work (will go down there later) would only having 1 channel be a problem from a stereo TV source - apart from sounding a bit rubbish? Edited September 27, 2011 by sidewinder
SimpleSi Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 (edited) my Mistook - this should do - ignore image http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/28014-5-pin-240-nickel-standard-din-plug-610-0510-deltron.html Si Edited September 27, 2011 by SimpleSi 1
LosOjos Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 One question, assuming my method does work (will go down there later) would only having 1 channel be a problem from a stereo TV source - apart from sounding a bit rubbish? You shouldn't have a problem, it's only if you try to play something back that is (for instance) only playing on the right channel and you only have the left (you wouldn't hear anything), but I doubt you'd have too much trouble. How handy are you with a soldering iron? You could open up the adapter, remove the RCA side then wire the 'C' DIN on to your DIN cable (the type you have is known as a 'U' DIN) 1
LosOjos Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 5-PIN DIN PLUG- GOLD - NYS322G - NEUTRIK Si It doesn't say for sure, but that picture looks like another 'U' DIN to me, 'C' seem quite hard to come by...
plexer Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 Just wrap some wire around some nails and poke them in the socket? Ben 1
LosOjos Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 Just wrap some wire around some nails and poke them in the socket? Ben MacGyver! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/Macgyver.jpg
Dos_Box Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 CPC have lots: Connectors - Audio, Video & RF | CPC Ah, just seen Simons post!!
sidewinder Posted September 27, 2011 Author Posted September 27, 2011 You shouldn't have a problem, it's only if you try to play something back that is (for instance) only playing on the right channel and you only have the left (you wouldn't hear anything), but I doubt you'd have too much trouble. How handy are you with a soldering iron? You could open up the adapter, remove the RCA side then wire the 'C' DIN on to your DIN cable (the type you have is known as a 'U' DIN) Not too bad at soldering, but I'm trying to avoid pulling apart our only working adapter for now! I've ordered a couple of connectors, so I'm hoping I'll be able to solder one to an RCA lead if I cut one end off
LosOjos Posted September 27, 2011 Posted September 27, 2011 Just a thought - to get around any potential problems with stereo audio, check the TV's settings, there's usually an output mono option (which I believe pushes everything through the left channel)
sidewinder Posted September 28, 2011 Author Posted September 28, 2011 ok, received my connectors today, unfortunately forgot to bring soldering iron in so will have to do them tonight. Regarding the pinout: a) is it likely to be the same as the 180 degree DIN? b) if so, which of these do I need: DIN Audio pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru - I'm assuming the second one in that list, but only connection 3,5 and 2 as it is just an input? Unfortunately I couldn't get the current adapter apart to be able to look at the pinout on that
plexer Posted September 28, 2011 Posted September 28, 2011 Can you not take a multimeter to the existing one and measure the resistance to show continuity on the pins and then draw your own connection diagram? Ben
sidewinder Posted September 28, 2011 Author Posted September 28, 2011 I could......if I had a multimeter. Never had the need for one before!
john Posted September 28, 2011 Posted September 28, 2011 I could......if I had a multimeter. Never had the need for one before! Science Dept will have one they need them for GCSE Physics (assuming your a secondary school) I have one of the big fancy multi-meters on permanent loan from them as we don't teach A Level Physics any more so its got too many option for GCSE students it confuses them
sidewinder Posted September 29, 2011 Author Posted September 29, 2011 Good news - it's working! I wired up an adapter with the same pinout as I posted, and it works fine! Had to re-do it 3 times but thats due to my shaky hands and dodgy soldering skills (though I've got a lot better since 9am this morning!)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now