Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

How do i upstream to an ISA server?

 

I have entered the IP:Port into SG along with the username/password - but its failing to allow me to get external access (wont even register itself)

Posted

What authentication methods are enabled on your ISA server? I suspect you might need to use Plain.

 

Alternatively can you make an exception the ip/mac address SG is running on in ISA. So it doesn't require authentication?

Posted

Craig,

 

There's 2 ways you need to do this:

1. For "direct" traffic such as registration requests, you need to put the proxy details in setup (log in on the console, run "setup")

2. For "forward" traffic thru the web proxy, you need to set it up on the "guardian" tab - as hostname:proxy

 

If i'm not very much mistaken, one of our tech support guys is "on this" for you now :)

Posted

Ok didn't get a resolve on this with SW support... yet!

Have sent them my diagnostic results to have a look at.

 

@Geoff - im in one of those nightmares where the ISA is with the LEA who wont divulge information.

 

I currently have a custom DG box which upstreams ok - entered same info into the Guardian box and nada.. cant even register.

 

@Tom i'll check this stuff out and see whats what.

 

:)

Posted
I currently have a custom DG box which upstreams ok - entered same info into the Guardian box and nada.. cant even register.

 

That rules ISA out as being the problem.

Posted

OK think I may have found the problem

 

The LEA ISA server requires that we auithenitcate using the DOMAIN\Username method

 

Smoothwall is rejecting this format as it see the \ as an illegal character

 

Now totaly stumped as this seems to be a smoothwall issue..

Posted

The error in Smoothwall is misleading too

 

Error - Remote proxy password may consist only of letters, numbers and underscores 

 

Now this threw me as the password in alphanumeric and the username box is highlighted red - inicating a problem

Posted
Craig - sure this can be sorted pretty easily - there are certainly ways "around" the validation, and of course we will then happily patch the input box's javascript.
Posted

ok i have it working :D

 

well, kind of..

 

I have routed it via the Squid setup on our exisint Dansguardian box which can connect to our LEA ISA Server..

 

However...

 

a) THis means they go thru 2 proxies instead of 1...

b) I still cannot reigster SchoolGuardian and therefore cannot get the blocklists, and updates..

 

In the mean time I will play about with the system and see what it can do..

Posted

Craig,

 

If you route the registration request through the DG too, then that will work (use the "setup" program on the console to set proxy for reg requests)

 

Without blocklists SG sucks a bit :)

 

Tom

Posted

Managed to register SG & get the blocklists yesterday just before I left

 

Today will be spent messing with SG to see how it all works - oh and "delegate" a few (un)fortunate Yr 11 as test subjects :D

Posted

Heh heh - hope the year 11s enjoy it :)

I'm glad you got it working - unfortunately, situations like yours where it's impossible to get remote admin on the box make life hard for our support dept.!

 

@ChrisH - I think my boss would agree - until you have blocklists it does no blocking or logging so its a bit choccy fireguard! Don't think my boss reads edugeek much either, but I know theres a couple of other people here who lurk unregistered!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...