plexer Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Nope but looks interesting. http://www.linutop.com/ Ben
Geoff Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 So it's an Internet kiosk? Isn't that a little too inflexible for schools?
bossman Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 So Geoff what about a rubber band would that be flexible enough hehe
bossman Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Looks interesting for a cybercafe type where all you would need is internet access.
localzuk Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 It seems rather expensive for what it is. £280 euro's just seems a lot for a machine without any form of storage (even thin clients have a bit of flash memory).
Geoff Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 I know I was thinking that. A lot of thin clients will run in 'kiosk mode'. I seem to recall Ric saying specifically that his Linux based HP thin clients (£130?) are capable of doing it.
Mr_T Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Nope but looks interesting. http://www.linutop.com/ Ben Looks very interesting especially if they can get the price down. They are about 200 pounds per box at the moment. I think if the price point drops to where you can get a 15inch tft and the linutop for 200pounds they will be away. It seems to me to be a great way to get lowcost desktop functionality its schools.
webman Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 It would be possible to build a similar or higher spec box based on Mini-ITX for roughly half the price, which according to xe at the moment, is around £191. But once you factor in the cost of board, memory, CF card, case and building it, it's getting close to the linutop anyway.
CyberNerd Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 these 600Mhz fanless boards are £80, add memory, case and flashrom http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=92
leon Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Linitx is a great place for mini/embedded systems: http://www.linitx.com/ I've heard good things about Kiosk CD for libraries etc: http://www.kioskcd.com/
openhgs Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 I've heard good things about Kiosk CD for libraries etc: http://www.kioskcd.com/ 404 I'm afraid. So is the authors website http://www.mccasland-internet.com I haven't heard anything of the project since the initial release in 2005.
openhgs Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 http://www.kioskcd.com/ You're right! It's working now but not when I tried this arvo or about six months ago when I was asked to research it. I wonder if it is hosted on a flakey server?
Ric_ Posted March 19, 2007 Posted March 19, 2007 Also see http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1856 about this PC.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now