Hightower Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Hi all, Just trying to look into App-V (M$ product) but struggling to find any real info on it, especially on the licencing (is it free? is it free when a certain licence is held? etc). Any advice, and/or links to articles that may help would be appreciated - I have used the search function on here, and Googled a few different phrases but not finding much (well, found some things but nothing in layman's terms)
glennda Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 I think you get the license when if you have a schools agreement - pm oxide54 as he uses it where he is.
ZeroHour Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Its part of software assurance and you normally get that as part of your schools agreement so yeh its included. I used it for a lot of things at my last place of work and it plus sccm is brilliant to use really.
Hightower Posted March 21, 2011 Author Posted March 21, 2011 I was hoping it was going to be free with S2008R2, but oh well, guess I'll have to give it a miss
AngryTechnician Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Its part of software assurance and you normally get that as part of your schools agreement so yeh its included. Source please? I''m pretty sure it's NOT included automatically with Software Assurance, I buy it as part of MDOP which is an additional charge. 1
Hightower Posted March 21, 2011 Author Posted March 21, 2011 Source please? I''m pretty sure it's NOT included automatically with Software Assurance, I buy it as part of MDOP which is an additional charge. I don't have the source but I read a few places today that it was included with software assurance EDIT: Would this be what you are looking for? http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx
AngryTechnician Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Would this be what you are looking for? Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance - Frequently Asked Questions I think there may be some confusion over when Microsoft talk about "MDOP for Software Assurance". My understanding is that you can only buy MDOP when you have a licence agreement that includes Software Assurance - but you still have to buy it if you want it. There's nothing in that link that says it is included FOC.
srochford Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 MDOP is definitely not free (and it's not cheap; for a Campus agreement it adds something like 10% to the cost and I suspect for the school agreement it will be a similar percentage. You get quite a lot of stuff included in MDOP but, of course, if all you want is app-v then you're paying quite a lot of money for stuff you don't want. I've raised this with MS in the past (and been ignored ...) but perhaps if more people raise the issue it will make a difference.
AngryTechnician Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 It adds about 7% for me. If I was only buying the Desktop Schools pack it would be almost exactly 10%.
chazzy2501 Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 Wow, that was lucky. I've seen MDOP etc for years as (what I thought was included with) Software Assurance. Lucky I was to stubborn to use it. A little annoying as it seems to advertise it'self on the MVLS site as part of your SA!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now