Hightower Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Anybody got an idea about how I can export computer GUIDs/computer names and reimport them into a different AD on a different network?
plexer Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 If you did export them and import them into a new ad the computer account passwords wouldn't match. Ben
Michael Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Realistically you'd need to create a trust between the two domains, but this could get complicated and I'm not 100% sure if it would work as I'm guessing you'll want to kill the old domain afterwards. I think you'd be better off copying Sysprep files (using a script) to each workstation with an answer file. You could automate it further (if you're happy with the existing computer names) so your workstations would join your new domain, with the correct SID information.
srochford Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 What are you trying to do? Is this a new network that you're setting up and you don't want to have to reinstall all the machines? If so, this - Download details: Active Directory Migration Tool v3.0 - might help
Hightower Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 What I'm trying to do is take the machine name/GUID/location from our current AD, and import these into a new AD as a managed computer. Then when I rebuild my machines onto the new network it will pick up the GUID, give it a name, and already be in the correct location. Think all I'm going to do is rename the WDS settings to the correct location/naming convention, build a room, rename WDS setting, build a room and so on and so forth.
srochford Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Ok; you should be able to get that with CSVDE: csvde -f comps.csv -r "(&(objectclass=computer)(name=maws414*))" -l "name, objectguid,location" this creates a file called comps.csv; restricts the output to computers with a name beginning maws414 and lists the fields name, objectguid and location (you also get the distinguishedname but you can just cut that out in Excel if you don't need it0 1
Hightower Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 Ok; you should be able to get that with CSVDE: csvde -f comps.csv -r "(&(objectclass=computer)(name=maws414*))" -l "name, objectguid,location" this creates a file called comps.csv; restricts the output to computers with a name beginning maws414 and lists the fields name, objectguid and location (you also get the distinguishedname but you can just cut that out in Excel if you don't need it0 That's 50% of the equation - now how to import these accounts into my new AD structure?
sukh Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Try to using csvde -i -f yourcsvfilename.csv. Create one entry in the csv file and test.
Norphy Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Were the computers built and joined to the existing domain using RIS/WDS previously? If not, they're not going to have network GUIDs associated to them.
Hightower Posted March 17, 2011 Author Posted March 17, 2011 Export worked perfectly, but wouldn't allow to import as apparent objectGuids are protected on import using csvde. Any more suggestions?
Hightower Posted March 17, 2011 Author Posted March 17, 2011 Found a way around this - using WDSUTIL from command prompt. Command was WDSUTIL /Add-Device /Device:COMPUTER-NAME /ID:objectGUID Did a batch file for all computers and they are now in. Now just dragging them all to the correct OU, and then trying a rebuild to see how we get on. Thanks for all the help
Norphy Posted March 17, 2011 Posted March 17, 2011 I'm not convinced the objectGUID is the one that you want, I think you need the netbootGUID.
Hightower Posted March 17, 2011 Author Posted March 17, 2011 I'm not convinced the objectGUID is the one that you want, I think you need the netbootGUID. I think you're right. Any idea how to export the netbootGUID for machines that have never done a PXE boot? Is the netboot something linked to the MAC? If so, is it possible to get the MAC and create the netbootGUID?
Hightower Posted March 17, 2011 Author Posted March 17, 2011 Looking at it, I think the easiest thing to do is tick the "Admin must approve unknown clients" in WDS. This way I can right click and "name and approve" in WDS for unknown, whereas rebuilding a known client will just pick up the right name straight away
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now